MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Do you/should you, lock your doors

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Do you/should you, lock your doors

Postby Neade » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 pm

Same logic behind the ski mask, ya friggin' ugly sumbitch?
Neade

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:27 pm

Back in 1980 my best friend had a house in the Hilldale area. She had the place open, one sunny afternoon. Friend was sunning herself in the back yard. I'd gone out to the store. I came in the back door to put stuff away. My friend came in and asked me what her purse was doing on the floor. The money was gone. Someone ripped the front door screen, came in quietly, took the money and slipped out. The cop came and cased the place to make sure the robber wasn't hiding. My friend exclaimed how many years she lived there. I said the robber did not care how long she lived there.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:52 pm

We always lock our doors. People who don't are just giving the crooks easy access.

We lived in a pretty rough area in another city, and experienced an attempted break in. The guy was using a crowbar to pry the locked door open, but a neighbor was watching and scared the guy off before he could get in. If we hadn't locked the door, he would have carted off a bunch of stuff.

Most of these guys are chicken shits and not very sophisticated about how they get in. Most home invaders are not professional break-in artists. They won't go to great lengths to get into a locked door. They look for the stupid people who don't lock doors. Mostly they just want a few items to pawn or fence so they can get their drugs.

We formed a neighborhood crime watch with the help of the police department. The police are pretty clear: lock your doors.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

I lock doors primarily by habit. I do it after hours or during the day if I'll be out of hearing range for some reason. As others have noted, it can be a pain in the neck when your patterns of circulation change – as is typical in warmer weather.

To me it's like buckling up when I'm only making a short trip. If I just *always* do it, I don't have to waste time evaluating whether I should.

But I've also lived in places where the doors had no locks. That simplifies the decision process even more.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:06 pm

I keep the doors locked and the toilet seat down. I'm well trained.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:I don't have any property worth stealing -- couple old computers, that's it.

Well, sure.

But what about your virtue?

Lock up Sno.

For us.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:33 pm

Does anyone lock a door not to keep someone out, but rather to keep something in?

Exhibit A: the wily Siberian Husky, a well known escape artist.

Meade you won't that problem with those Labs.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I keep the doors locked and the toilet seat down. I'm well trained.
Me, too. And my beloved returns the gesture by lifting the seat afterward.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:11 pm

A siberian husky! Ha. Those things are so clever it's not funny. They think chain link is a handy dog ladder. They can figure out most door latches. One of mine couldn't undo the lock so she decided to chew her way through the bottom edge of my door. She almost made it -- close enough that I had to replace the whole door.

She also attempted to chew her way out of my car once. She got all the rubber gasket around the windows, and destroyed the front seats to boot. Took less than 20 minutes.

I love dogs.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:49 pm

We have had stuff stolen out of our garage in broad daylight. So yes, we tend to lock our doors. Agreed that it isn't keeping out any smart criminals, but the world would improve a great deal if we just discourage the stupid ones.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 am

The crooks are far smarter than the people not locking their doors. The crooks look for easy, fast access. The dumb ones use crowbars. People who don't lock their doors, are pretty much saying, "grab my stuff." The problem with that is it's an invitation for the crooks to come back to the neighborhood. If they think there's a lot of dumb people in the neighborhood, they'll be back. Locking doors provides herd immunity to the broader community.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:40 am

fennel wrote:To me it's like buckling up when I'm only making a short trip. If I just *always* do it, I don't have to waste time evaluating whether I should.
I do this too, and I also employ the same logic about using my turn signal, so y'all have convinced me this should be another one of those cases. I'm in.

Ya hear that, criminals-who-have-never-once-bothered-me?! You won't have my unlocked door to kick around any more!

No way in hell I'm closing my windows every night in the summer, though. That's just crazy talk.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:32 pm

My cousin lived in our basement apartment when I was a kid growing up in Chicago. There weren't a lot of windows in the apartment, but he left them open during the summer.

But then he also kept piranhas in tanks below the windows...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 pm

My windows have a little gadget that secures them two inches open, so I use that in the summer. However, whoever lived here before me planted the prickliest, thorniest rose bushes in the world right below both bedroom windows. I can't believe this was random.

Not piranhas, but the same idea.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:45 pm

snoqueen wrote: However, whoever lived here before me planted the prickliest, thorniest rose bushes in the world right below both bedroom windows. I can't believe this was random.

Not piranhas, but the same idea.
We had something similar at our house. I wasted no time (only a bit of blood) in cutting them down. We called them concertina-wire bushes.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All