MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Kicking the Addiction

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Kicking the Addiction

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Meade wrote:You tell us then, snoqueen - what will make the Affordable Care Act affordable? Affordability was the primary goal of our public policy deciders, right? Otherwise, they would have titled it the "Humane Care Act" or the "High Quality Care Act" or the "Equal Liberal Progressive Care Act". So yeah, if I get your tacit drift, "affordable" sounds rather eugenic-y and nazi-y, doesn't it?

Woooooo! Drink!

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Sandi & Wags:

You have our whole-hearted support and you can do this. Don't let Meade's oral diarrhea discourage you.

I am currently finishing up my master's in public health and of course, tobacco use has been a frequent topic in a number of classes. Just the other day, we were discussing a quit smoking system that one of the profs helped develop with another prof who was quitting. I keyed in on the [i]correct[i] use of Nicorette gum which the two of them figured out.

1) only chew the "gum" once or twice and then park it in your cheek. The short chew action starts the release of the nicotine and leaving it hidden in your cheek (like a hamster :lol: ) allows for absorption into the blood via the oral mucosa. Continuing to chew it as if it is gum sends most of the nicotine into the stomach with the saliva. The stomach pH is highly acidic, around 2, and the nicotine is destroyed at this pH. So you are not getting any effect and of course you believe it "doesn't work".

2) Vis a vis the above, the pH of your mouth is critical. You should rinse several times with tap water to get as close to neutral, about pH 7.2 - 7.5, as possible before using the Nicorette. This also means you canNOT drink coffee, tea, orange juice, coke/pepsi/etc., alcohol while using the gum. This detail is apparently hidden in the reams of fine print on how to use the product, but the part about not chewing it beyond the first bit does not seem to be widely known or hyped. Another reason why people can believe this doesn't work. Because it ain't working if you don't do these two things.

The other overall aspect contributing to the success of this system is that the Nicorette is used to gradually replace the cigarettes you smoke each day. Once you get to the point where you are only using the gum - because you've replaced your daily cigarettes with an equivalent amount of gum - then you start tapering off the gum until you are off it.

Their reported success rate is 45% who have quit following this system are still non-smokers a year later. Don't know what the five year rate is, but probably reasonably good. There is also a support program that goes with this including health checks so I'll guess that is a big part of the integrated system.

Anyway, the very best of luck to you both.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm curious. If the thing to do is not chew the gum, why not just use the lozenge and not be tempted to chew at all?

I didn't know about all that stuff you're not supposed to drink and drank coffee and orange juice while I had a lozenge in my mouth. Don't remember it being a problem. Except that a lozenge still gives me hiccups.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:49 pm

rabble wrote:I'm curious. If the thing to do is not chew the gum, why not just use the lozenge and not be tempted to chew at all?

I would think so. I haven't used the lozenges, and only a few pieces of the gum. I used it properly per instructions on the box and as bleurose suggested. However it didn't make much difference one way or the other.

This is probably because the patch works so much better than the gum. Place the patch on a new spot daily and it takes care of the correct dosage transdermally.

I am nearly done with step 2 ( 14mg ) and not sure I will even do the step 3 ( 7mg ). Why? Because half the days I am not putting the patch on, and there is little if any craving left.

Forget the gum, use the patch. The dosage is much better controlled. By chewing the gum whenever you want ( within reason ) seems to be replacing cigs with gum. Three strength step down with patches makes much more sense, and works for me.

Nor do I take the wellbutrin my dr prescribed. It is supposed to make cigs taste bad, which it does. It also makes all food taste bad, and leave you with a nasty tasting mouth all day.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Yes, rabble, I wondered that same thing. Why call the thing "gum" when what is really needed is basically a piece of hard candy. :? Anyway, that is the way it is supposed to work and acidic environments, whether the stomach or the-mouth-with-coffee/tea/soda/etc., will destroy the nicotine. Which means that all the little nicotine receptors will still be clamoring for a "fix", people figure that the "gum" isn't working (because it's not) and just have a cigarette.

Additional yucky interesting fact: one of the ways that nicotine works is to upregulate the number of nicotine receptors. Vicious spiral there.

Added after seeing Sandi's last post: good for you, Sandi. If the patch is doing you good, then excellent.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:53 pm

OK, I did think of one plausible reason why the manufacturers have not been forthcoming about effective usage (not chewing): if enough people are successful at quitting, they run out of a market. And I have heard that Nicorette is not cheap.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:59 pm

bleurose wrote:OK, I did think of one plausible reason why the manufacturers have not been forthcoming about effective usage (not chewing): if enough people are successful at quitting, they run out of a market. And I have heard that Nicorette is not cheap.

No, I meant why use the gum when nicorette makes a nicotine lozenge?

And yeah they're all way more expensive than cigarettes.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I guess some people prefer to chew on gum rather than just suck on a piece of hard candy. Only thing I can think of. But now that you know, just use the lozenge and skip the gum. :D
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 pm

bleurose wrote:I guess some people prefer to chew on gum rather than just suck on a piece of hard candy. Only thing I can think of. But now that you know, just use the lozenge and skip the gum. :D

Thanks. I did. Worked fine.

What I can't figure out is why one would choose gum because they like to chew, then not chew it. :?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:35 pm

rabble wrote:What I can't figure out is why one would choose gum because they like to chew, then not chew it.

Yeah chewing is the natural inclination when having gum in your mouth. That is like saying eat this piece of cake but don't chew.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Sandi wrote:and not sure I will even do the step 3 ( 7mg ). Why? Because half the days I am not putting the patch on, and there is little if any craving left.

Don't be fooled. I remember quitting and I was. I thought the same thing and all it takes is one moment of weakness. It will sneak up on you before you know it and it's still early in the game. I would HIGHLY suggest going through step three. There is a reason they have it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm still on the waiting list for the UW study. Just got an email from them yesterday saying they promise they will get to me eventually. That said, I'm still not sure I will do it, as I still haven't talked to anyone, so I have no idea what their plans for me will be.

Not going to re-read this entire thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but Chantix is not an option (terrible, terrible nightmares, and I already have sleep disorders, so no way I will compound that with a new one) and I refuse to wear a patch (I've failed quitting too many times to risk a relapse which could seriously harm me.)

I really feel like I'm running out of options here. On the plus side, since I quit trying to quit a few months ago (you heard me), I'm smoking less than I have since high school. Not even half a pack a day, which for me, is real progress.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:That said, I'm still not sure I will do it, as I still haven't talked to anyone, so I have no idea what their plans for me will be.

Talked to someone invited. It's basically a three year commitment to be studied and I think at one point there are three phone surveys a day for something like a month. There was other stuff that I can't quite remember.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:That said, I'm still not sure I will do it, as I still haven't talked to anyone, so I have no idea what their plans for me will be.

Talked to someone invited. It's basically a three year commitment to be studied and I think at one point there are three phone surveys a day for something like a month. There was other stuff that I can't quite remember.

I am a graduate of the first study and a participant of this one as a "still not smoking" member. Would you like me to share my experience? (Spoiler: Lozenges were involved.)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:09 pm

OK, so I got out of the hospital last Tuesday after having a ruptured appendix and emergency appendectomy. I'm still taking big globs of super-antibiotics, but am beginning to feel better. Couldn't smoke in the hospital, of course, and they would let me out for one either, instead giving me a nicotine patch. That worked about as well as I expected, keeping me sane but nearly sleepless.
Now I'm home, and having decided to "gut it out," so to speak, and just go cold turkey, I'm having some pretty intense cravings. I'm chewing sugar-free breath mints, and walking around outside to get me through. Anyone care to share their experience of how long I can expect these cravings to continue? Last smoke about nine days ago now....
Ttusker

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All