MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Kicking the Addiction

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Kicking the Addiction

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 am

The addiction does go away. Long after I quit, I used to smoke a cigarette every few years just for shits and giggles. Actually quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Did it cold turkey after waking up from an extreme alcohol overdose. I realized I hadn't had a cigarette yet, 4-5 hours after waking. Decided to see if I could go the rest of the day. Went another day. Decided to try and keep it up. When you first quit, the urge comes every few minutes(I had been smoking 2-3 packs a day). After a year, the urge is just as strong, but only a couple of times a day. You'll find your hand reaching in your top pocket all by itself. After 2 years or so it's only about once a week. Five years and you are free of the urge completely. Early on, one thing I did helped me. When I got a real strong urge, I went to a mirror. I looked myself straight in eye, took a deep breath of air, and said out loud "I don't smoke, I breathe." You CAN quit. It's a real bitch, but it's worth it. You'll respect yourself and feel better the rest of your life. Another option of quitting cold turkey was my father's way. He was diagnosed with lung cancer- quit that day. He lasted six months.
Good luck, work hard and breathe easy.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 am

pjbogart wrote:For one, if you want to quit smoking, you have to stay alcohol free too because getting drunk pretty much kills all of your inhibitions.
Yeah. I know this. But I can't quit smoking AND drinking. I just can't do it. Only way it's even remotely possible is if I quit singing in a band. And I ain't gonna do that, either.

I know, I suck.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 am

I didn't quit drinking. You don't HAVE to quit drinking. Put on your big boy pants and beat this thing. You'll thank yourself. You can do it, man. Get to work. I never fell off the wagon. But if you do-pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on that hey I don't smoke wagon. It's one day at time. Simple math. One becomes two. Two becomes three...
And the only sucking you do is on cigarettes. Knock it off.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 am

I quit smoking without quitting the booze but I found out pretty quick that I needed to readjust my tolerances. I would get hammered much quicker than before, leading to two occasions of brown-out drunken nights. That hadn't happened to me since my junior year of college. I think that it may have been because I wasn't stepping outside for a 10 minute break every hour.

I technically quit cold turkey but in the year before my quit date I had gradually cut down to one a day, sometimes more on the weekends or at a party. It was something I'd always known I'd have to do eventually and after three days the cravings were gone. The hardest part was breaking the mental addiction, and I too still have dreams where I'm smoking.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:01 am

I had no trouble at all drinking and not smoking. The lozenges were enough to give me something to do and sate the cravings. I also found that joining the UW study was all help and zero hindrance.

It becomes apparent from just this conversation - and the newsletters I get from the study seem to confirm - that there is no one good way to quit that works for everybody. The reasons we smoke might be the same but quitting needs to be tailored to our personalities. And the only way to tailor it is to keep trying different methods.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 am

A guy I know smoked for 40 years, tried to quit every imaginable way until his doctor said if he didn't quit, he wouldn't live much past 65. He was the worst kind of smoker; completely addicted to the nicotine, the hand-to-mouth deal, the situational fix, etc. So he had a few hypnosis appointments and then redoubled his efforts to stay clean. He didn't smoke for 4 months, which was not his longest stretch, and figured it was far more about will power than whatever the hypnosis was for. Then he found himself at home alone for a weekend. A fat steak and a few martinis later, he decided he would really like a smoke. He found a sealed pack in the pocket of a spring jacket, unwrapped them and pulled one out.

At that point he believes the hypnosis kicked in. His brain flooded with questions? "So now what?" he asked himself. You're going to smoke just one? Smoke the pack? And then what, you're going to just leave it at that, or are you going to be a smoker again? Just because you really want a cigarette after a big meal and a few cocktails, you're going to return to being a smoker? He ended up tossing the pack and that was pretty much his final temptation. He doesn't even resort to the gum chewing anymore.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Sandi wrote:Today will end 7 days, a whole week, with no cigarettes.

Why do people even start using substances they know for sure will harm their health? It's suicidal isn't it? Slow suicide.

I'm pro-choice but anti-murder, including self-murder. Sugar, alcohol, tobacco... Choose not to start and you'll never have to quit. I'm serious - do your own cost/benefit analysis and ask yourself exactly how much have any of those substances enriched your life. How much have they cost you?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm

You know, what would be a really useful addition to this conversation is if we could get the self-righteous asshole perspective on the whole affair. You know, somebody who's the center of the universe, never does nor has done anything risky or misguided, who shits gold Krugerrand and farts Unicorn shaped clouds smelling of something like Febreeze only better.

I'd pay good money to hear that person's take.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Save your money and listen to yourself.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 pm

I have never before actually wished for misfortune to befall someone.

Because of Meade's post above, that is no longer true.

So thanks, Meade, for making us all worse people.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Meade wrote:hy do people even start using substances they know for sure will harm their health? It's suicidal isn't it? Slow suicide.

It is a risk, probably for most. Suicide no, it doesn't come close to the definition.

My maternal great grandfather smoked all his life, and died at the age of 92. However he only smoked about a quarter pack a day or less (according to mom). Sure that is an exception, but there is a lot of smoke blowing from the health side as well as the smokers. I also think how heavy you smoke has a lot to do with health risk.

Still my mind is made up. No more for me.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 pm

The definition of suicide is "to kill oneself". Sandi, during your great-grandfather's lifetime, tobacco was not a known killer. Today it is. Same for alcohol. Same for sugar. Same for a lot of things.
I'm glad you've decided not to smoke again. I hope you live a long healthy life. Not only because I like you. For instance, I also hope that Bland lives a long healthy life.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Meade wrote:Why do people even start using substances they know for sure will harm their health? It's suicidal isn't it? Slow suicide.

I'm pro-choice but anti-murder, including self-murder. Sugar, alcohol, tobacco... Choose not to start and you'll never have to quit. I'm serious - do your own cost/benefit analysis and ask yourself exactly how much have any of those substances enriched your life. How much have they cost you?

I daresay most smokers get hooked when they're kids. Kids aren't great at cost/benefit analysis.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:46 pm

That's an excellent good point, Kenneth. But none of us here are kids anymore. If you're doing things that are harmful to your health, stop. If you're not, don't start. How hard is that? For an adult, I mean.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm

The thing with addiction is that quitting isn't just about wanting to quit.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All