Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Winter rules

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Winter rules

Postby Igor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Not rules so much as recommendations:

1) Get good all-weather tires.

2) Remember momentum. Maybe you want to approach the stoplight at a reasonable, slow speed, and time it so you don't have to stop, and then start again.

3) If you know you cannot stop before hitting something, consider a snowbank. Several times in my youth I was going too fast downhill, and hit a slippery stretch. I dipped the right wheels about a foot or so into the snowbank next to me and got things slowed down.

4) Know some alternate routes to places that you frequently drive. Your preferred route may be full of people that did not listen to #1 and are stuck going uphill on an icy road.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Don't bitch about the snow, we need the precipitation.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Who's we? I hate snow, and will bitch about it until it's gone. Let the precipitation come as this thing we call "rain". Preferably between midnight and 6 am so as not to interfere with golf.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:39 am

Just make an effort to clear your walk. A shovel-width path, a bunch of salt, anything. I really can't understand the 2 or 3 homeowners near us, younger and seemingly healthy people, who don't appear to even try.

If you've got a big loud snowblower (I do) and you crank it up early in the morning (sometimes I do), hit a few of your neighbor's walks too (I do). Where to draw the line is up to you.

Note- the folks mentioned above are that near me, otherwise I'd help em out sometimes.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:15 am

Show of Hands: who ate sh*t this morning walking out the front door?

I didn't even make it a step off my porch before I went down. The guy who was walking down the sidewalk chuckled: "I did the same thing."

Salted and Sanded then off to work.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:24 am

I put on my yaktrax for the walk to the bus stop. I threw some sand at the front walk knowing full well it was going to get buried in ice by ten.

The sidewalks on campus were interesting. Yards and yards of perfect traction interspersed with invisible slip spots. But everybody was being pretty careful.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 am

rabble wrote:I put on my yaktrax for the walk to the bus stop.

Yes I imagine that would make watching everyone slip around and fall down a little more enjoyable.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:Show of Hands: who ate sh*t this morning walking out the front door?

I didn't even make it a step off my porch before I went down. The guy who was walking down the sidewalk chuckled: "I did the same thing."

Salted and Sanded then off to work.

-Dan Motor

Just based on a hunch I tossed some ice melt on the walk and driveway last evening. This enabled me to act all smart and forward thinking when I came back safe with the paper this morning. It was just luck of course, but might as well make the most of life's little victories.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 pm

I thought this thread was about moving my golf ball 6 inches without penalty.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:41 pm

gargantua wrote:Who's we? I hate snow, and will bitch about it until it's gone. Let the precipitation come as this thing we call "rain". Preferably between midnight and 6 am so as not to interfere with golf.

Okay you can bitch about the snow if it will make you feel better. Soon it will be spring and I am ready to join the bitch session. But we, as in farmers or anybody who wants to eat, did need the precipitation.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AgathaChristie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I am loving the snow. It gets old when it gets all dirty, so fresh powder is the cure! But please, learn how to stop!
AgathaChristie

Previous

Return to Catch All