MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Coffee Makers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Coffee Makers

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Madsci wrote:Now I am back to the old manual drip method. My Hamilton Beach coffeemaker glass carafe suffered a breakage. The machine is fine but try to find a replacement carafe ( I have saved the 2 previous models of coffeemaker carafes but they are not interchangeable).

That's a bonus when you get the kind with the insulated carafe instead of the heater. The coffee tastes better and you really have to work to break one of em.

I REALLY prefer to have my coffee right after I shower but if I didn't, in order to have McD coffee before I get to work I'd have to get in the car and drive about a mile and then get back home in time to catch the 7:20 in to campus.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:36 pm

But I need my coffee before my morning chores. My shower comes after spending time in the barn. The closest McD is 20 miles away.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Madsci wrote:But I need my coffee before my morning chores. My shower comes after spending time in the barn. The closest McD is 20 miles away.

But it's really cheap!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 am

Madsci wrote:But I need my coffee before my morning chores. My shower comes after spending time in the barn. The closest McD is 20 miles away.

That's why I use a cheapo drip coffemaker that has a built-in timer that I set to start brewing about 10 minutes before I roll out of bed...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 am

rabble wrote:

But it's really cheap!

I don't know, rabble. You and I might have a different perception of "cheap."

I get 3 weeks worth of coffee at Aldi's for $7.00. A dollar a day adds up. I will admit the Mickey D's coffee has greatly improved in the last couple of years though.

This is nostalgia taking over but this is one of the reasons I love coffee. When I was a tiny tot my mom and I lived in a trailer on my Great-Grand Aunt’s property in (very) rural Langlade County near the Wolf River. Our side of the Family had some pretty deep roots in that part of the state, so when my mom was a broke-assed special-ed teacher raising me (and also moonlighting in fire-towers in the Nicolet National Forest) I spent a lot of time being babysat by friends and family. The common thread in this circle of people was they all had lived through or where children of people who lived through the Great Depression, there was never anything to drink in the house except well water and, of course, the pot of coffee running at all times. When you stopped by one of the houses in the neighborhood you were never asked if you wanted a cup, when you sat down at the kitchen table to shoot the shit, you were given a cup of the strongest damn black coffee you’ve ever tasted.

To this day the smell of coffee brewing when you walk in a house is one of the most welcoming things in the world to me. The cheaper the coffee the better the conversation.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:55 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:
rabble wrote:

But it's really cheap!

I don't know, rabble. You and I might have a different perception of "cheap."

I buy mine from this little mom and pop operation.

And it still works out cheaper and more convenient than hopping into the car and driving a mile to Macs for worse coffee.

I was making fun of RememberMe's post about how good, cheap and quick macdee's coffee is.

Didn't do it right, obviously.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:04 am

rabble wrote:I buy mine from this little mom and pop operation.

And it still works out cheaper and more convenient than hopping into the car and driving a mile to Macs for worse coffee.

I was making fun of RememberMe's post about how good, cheap and quick macdee's coffee is.

Ah, well...I'm not real quick this morning....Probably need more coffee....

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:When you stopped by one of the houses in the neighborhood you were never asked if you wanted a cup, when you sat down at the kitchen table to shoot the shit, you were given a cup of the strongest damn black coffee you’ve ever tasted.

To this day the smell of coffee brewing when you walk in a house is one of the most welcoming things in the world to me. The cheaper the coffee the better the conversation.

Yahey, "too thick to drink, too wet to plow." I also love the smell of coffee brewing when you walk into a small diner where the waitress calls everybody "Hon" and the cream was dropped off that morning. Eggs over easy and short stack to go with, and I'm in heaven.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 pm

My wife picked up one of the new Starbucks Verisimo systems recently (we are both more in to lattes then straight coffee and spend a lot of cash at Starbucks). She got sack full of the espresso cups and milk cups which lasted about 3 weeks. We haven't had coffee at home since then. So far the only place I've found that sells the cups for this system is William Sonoma or online. I love that you can buy the keurig cups at the nearest Starbucks, but not their own brand.

In retrospect, I would not recommend getting one of these.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 pm

rabble wrote:I was making fun of RememberMe's post about how good, cheap and quick macdee's coffee is.

I said MCD's coffee was quick and inexpensive for "on-the-go-joe" and that it's gotten a lot better over the past few years.

You have a better choice for good, cheap, quick, on-the-go-joe?

Where?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Manual drip Mon-Sat. We have the same plastic cone and Thermos that we got back in the late 90's. I hope either the BPA's are cooked out of the cone or there is enough residue to seal them in.

Went thru a period of gold filters but now use unbleached paper cone filters.

Like Mr. Motor, on Sundays we use the French press pot.

Once in a blue moon we break out the vacuum pot.

I think we have an expresso maker somewhere in the basement. I'm now intrigued to go find it and try it out this weekend. Nah, fuck it.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Remember_Me wrote:I said MCD's coffee was quick and inexpensive for "on-the-go-joe" and that it's gotten a lot better over the past few years.

You have a better choice for good, cheap, quick, on-the-go-joe?

Where?

My counter top and a big leakproof commuter mug. But you can't have any. Sorry.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:06 pm

rabble wrote:My counter top and a big leakproof commuter mug. But you can't have any. Sorry.

Not even for a buck?

(I'll bring my own mug)
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All