MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Newspeak

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Newspeak

Postby doppel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Starting a thread for you to post examples of newspeak you run across.

From the
City of Portland Wa. via KGW TV:

"Neighbors in Portland's St. Johns area have been battling a city plan to cut down a decades-old tree in Pier Park...

The tree at the center of the controversy is a giant sequoia that stands about 120 feet tall and measures 18 feet around...

The city is building a ten-mile long pedestrian and bike trail called the North Portland Greenway. Once completed, the trail will connect North Portland to downtown. Plans call for a bridge to be built over a set of railroad tracks, and according to the city, that sequoia tree is in the way.

It also said all the wood from the giant sequoia will be re-purposed and used in a nature play area in Westmoreland Park."

I just loves me some of this kind of bullshit.

Not really necessary but here is a link to the entire story for your perusal.http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Fighting-to-save-their-Sequoia-191930631.html
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Newspeak

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm

What word would you have used? Re-purposed really annoys you? That's double-plus stupid if you ask me.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 pm

fisticuffs wrote:What word would you have used? Re-purposed really annoys you? That's double-plus stupid if you ask me.

Maybe you should be re-purposed if you can't see humor in their choice of words. Opps, or maybe reprogrammed? Reguritated? Or maybe just plain old Re-double-plussed rectified?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:What word would you have used? Re-purposed really annoys you? That's double-plus stupid if you ask me.

Chopped down and cut into lumber seems like it would be more accurate.

They are not re-purposing the tree, they are cutting it down and using it's component parts for new construction.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Yes, reused apparently wasn't good enough, not sure why. I caught myself saying re-purposed once and now make a point to not reuse it.

I've also seen the term serial entrepreneur about as many times as I care to, lately.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 pm

It wouldn't matter at all if they simply weren't redundant. This sentence conveys exactly the same information, after all: "It also said all the wood from the giant sequoia will be used in a nature play area in Westmoreland Park."
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:24 pm

The reason I find it irritating (only mildly, mind you) is that it implies the tree currently has a purpose--it could not be re-purposed otherwise. What is the "purpose" of a tree? To me, the tree is a living being, it lives. Not sure I'm on board with "reused", either. "Chopped down and cut into lumber" I agree with. Ok, I basically just reiterated what FDD wrote...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 pm

massimo wrote:What is the "purpose" of a tree?

To provide us oxygen. To provide us shade. To filter out carbon dioxide. To provide some animals food. To provide us food. etc...

It's new purpose is to become a playground set.

What is the purpose of a human? When we die, we're put into the ground to rot. At least this tree can have a second life.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:19 pm

Stebben84 wrote:What is the purpose of a human?

Quite obviously, to provide CO2 to trees, to serve as host for parasites and bacteria, filter out O2, and when re-purposed, to be food for worms.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:43 pm

massimo wrote:and when re-purposed, to be food for worms.

Fitting that I just saw this:

This Awesome Urn Will Turn You into a Tree After You Die
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 pm

Wow, decades old! Giant sequoias aren't native to the Portland area, so this one was put there by humans in the 20th century. It is a consequence of human development, and it's removal will also be such a consequence. Forward with the (privately financed and maintained) bike paths!
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:53 pm

The simple reason people find the word re-purposed so annoying, even outside of this context, is that it is pretentious and trendy. Let me throw out another trendy phrase that's been beaten to death. At the end of the day.....

I'm almost to the point of jamming cement into my earholes when that phrase is uttered.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:44 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Wow, decades old! Giant sequoias aren't native to the Portland area, so this one was put there by humans in the 20th century. It is a consequence of human development, and it's removal will also be such a consequence. Forward with the (privately financed and maintained) bike paths!

I don't take issue with cutting down a tree, though I do question what issue civil engineers had in drawing a foot and bike trail that couldn't manage to avoid crossing paths with a tree that was under 6 feet wide.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm almost to the point of jamming cement into my earholes when that phrase is uttered.

Well, you could do that, but at the end of the day you'd have to be repurposed.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:03 pm

gargantua wrote:The simple reason people find the word re-purposed so annoying, even outside of this context, is that it is pretentious and trendy. Let me throw out another trendy phrase that's been beaten to death. At the end of the day...

Ooh, oooh, I know exactly what you're referencing!!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All