MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Thunderstorm Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Tom Tomorrow

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Tom Tomorrow

Postby kurt_w » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:58 am

Tom Tomorrow (aka Dan Perkins) just won a fairly substantial prize in the editorial cartoon world.

“Tom Tomorrow is both fearless and funny, two qualities that make him a first-rate editorial cartoonist,” Robb said. “He has developed a unique graphic style that perfectly suits his wry and clever assaults on politicians, political parties, and bad policies while also making his work instantly recognizable.”

Brodner said, “Dan Perkins’ output for the year was consistently strong, intelligent and witty. The work discussed the most important issues in a way extremely compelling and illuminating. The sequential political cartoon is a vivid and powerful form in his hands.”

Good for him. Good, too, for the alt-weekly world where Tom Tomorrow arose and flourished.

I'm trying hard to click "submit" without adding a gratuitous and un-called-for comment that ... that ... argh, I can't stop myself here ...

OK, I can't stand Tom Tomorrow. Reading Tom Tomorrow makes me want to poke out my eyes with knitting needles. I would rather eat a bowl of okra than read a Tom Tomorrow cartoon, and I hate okra.

Ahem. Sorry about that. Congratulations to Mr Perkins.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tom Tomorrow

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 am

Here, I'll help you out. Congratulations to Mr. Perkins, and I like Tom Tomorrow. I need that bracing shot of partisan humor now and then, and he's consistently funny and well-timed, not clunky.

I just wish Isthmus hadn't quit running the other funny cartoon I can't remember the name of. It had little Victorian-looking people making wry comments to each other. I know the guy's still on line somewhere and I know someone will post a link now that I'm asking for one.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I used to like his strip more, but it seems to have become smug, snarky and humorless in the last few years. Even when I agree with a given strip in principle, I still don't like the condescending attitude.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm pleased that the Herblock Prize went to an independent cartoonist whose work is primarily syndicated in alt-weekly's and online. They deserve similar credit for selected Matt Bors, someone who also distributes mostly independently and online, for last year's prize.

Even though the distribution of journalism has changed dramatically in the last several years, groups like the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists still revolve around diminishing numbers of staff positions at daily newspapers. That old model is dying and it's nice to see that the people being the Herblock Prize acknowledge that. Maybe, in future years, they'll recognize some of the talented artists utilizing some of the unique tools offered online such as animation.

* Disclosure, I co-write an editorial cartoon but I'm pretty sure it will never win an award so it doesn't really matter.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby SidSeven » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:33 am

snoqueen wrote:Here, I'll help you out. Congratulations to Mr. Perkins, and I like Tom Tomorrow. I need that bracing shot of partisan humor now and then, and he's consistently funny and well-timed, not clunky.

I just wish Isthmus hadn't quit running the other funny cartoon I can't remember the name of. It had little Victorian-looking people making wry comments to each other. I know the guy's still on line somewhere and I know someone will post a link now that I'm asking for one.

Oh great. Now I'll be trying to remember the name of that cartoon forever, or until I die, anyway. It was hilarious.
SidSeven

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 am

Red Meat?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:22 am

Wondermark. I recall it was in the Onion but I don't remember it being in the Isthmus.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:23 am

Maybe it was the Onion. I tend to pick both papers up on the same day and read them together.

Thanks for the link.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 am

green union terrace chair wrote:I used to like his strip more, but it seems to have become smug, snarky and humorless in the last few years. Even when I agree with a given strip in principle, I still don't like the condescending attitude.

(Semi-serious snark alert)

And yet you still participate on this forum.

(End snark alert)
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SidSeven » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:17 pm

wallrock wrote:Wondermark. I recall it was in the Onion but I don't remember it being in the Isthmus.

Thank you !! I was going nuts trying to remember the name.
SidSeven

Return to Catch All