Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Could you afford a new car?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Could you afford a new car?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 am

For the record: the 2013 Consumer Reports car issue is hitting subscriber mailboxes today.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:23 pm

"Amid New Car Boom, Used Cars Are Gold"

"Fewer Late Model Cars Send Prices Higher; Dealer Cruises Internet for Trade-Ins"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amid-car- ... 00810.html

If you can afford the payment, new makes a lot of sense today. Especially given the low rates on new car loans.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I understand the appeal of driving the wheels off of a car but I have a low payment, a reliable fuel-effiecnt vehicle and I haven't paid for any maintenance outside of an oil change and tire rotation in 6 years. No new tires, brakes, transmission flush, or any major repair.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:04 pm

I could probably afford a new car only because my current car has held its value so well. I don't think the blue book value has moved much in the last 3 years. The trade-in value would bring a cheap new car within my price range.

My car has been very reliable so I fear trading it in for something else. It still looks good, too. The only clue to its age is my in-dash cassette player. I don't drive much so the idea of paying several hundred dollars a month just doesn't seem work it.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:47 pm

I thought I was the only person who still had an in-dash cassette player.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mgrimm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:new cars are a shit investment

I was in Green Bay this summer with my son for a baseball tournament. Our contingent of suburban families was all brand spanking SUVs and minivans with the exception of my jalopy (a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 with about 185K on it). <snip>

Hey man, you must have missed my truck. It's 7.5 years old with over 100K on it :lol:
mgrimm

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:53 am

Nope. Me too!
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:32 am

snoqueen wrote:I thought I was the only person who still had an in-dash cassette player.

That's crazy. The median car on the road is something like nine years old. And plenty of 2004 cars had cassette decks. (NYT claims that a quarter of 2005 cars did).

Lexus was still putting cassette decks in one of their cars in 2010. Nobody does now, though.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 am

I don't mean to sound like I am bragging, but both of our cars have cassette decks. One is a 2004; the other is a 2005. We bought both of them of used. I think we got the 2005 in 2009. We were amazed by the lameness of the stereo. However, we liked everything else about the car. (OK - the MPG suck too, but we needed something that could accommodate towing, off-road, hauling a lot crap and a tall driver so we expected that. We don't drive it to and from work so MPG isn't as big of a factor for us.) The stereo is integrated with the navigation, air conditioning and rearview camera so it's not like we can just pop another in.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 am

So this is a timely thread since we bought a new car and we're selling our used car. We bought a 2009 Toyota two years ago and its actually valued HIGHER than where we bought it.

The used car market is a mess right now.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Mini Cooper - just don't get theturbo. A very good friend bought one brand-new, an the thing has been an absolute money pit. She's been advised that she's not alone.

No, we cannot afford a car right now, which is why we're currently a one-car household. It's okay for now, but we may have an issue when hubby gets a new job - I work downtown and he drives me there and picks me up, so if a job comes around where we can't coordinate our schedules, we'll have a car payment AND a monthly parking bill.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:57 pm

beenie wrote:I work downtown and he drives me there and picks me up, so if a job comes around where we can't coordinate our schedules, we'll have a car payment AND a monthly parking bill.

The bus? You may not be on a good bus line, but a friend of mine recently started driving to a place where she could catch the bus, but not have to pay parking. It's a bit of a pain, but it sure beats spending the money on parking.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
beenie wrote:I work downtown and he drives me there and picks me up, so if a job comes around where we can't coordinate our schedules, we'll have a car payment AND a monthly parking bill.

The bus? You may not be on a good bus line, but a friend of mine recently started driving to a place where she could catch the bus, but not have to pay parking. It's a bit of a pain, but it sure beats spending the money on parking.

The bus isn't convenient to where we live, but a couple of my coworkers do the park-and-bus thing. It's definitely an option - one that I'd prefer to paying downtown parking.
beenie
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Catch All