MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Got the 1 bathroom blues.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Got the 1 bathroom blues.

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 am

I realize this isn't exactly a problem, even by first world standards, but I'm hating the single bathroom lifestyle.

Even with only two of us in the house, the crossing of paths and uncomfortable holdups to the natural callings of life are an almost daily thing. The lone sanctuary itself is on the main floor, a steep staircase away from the bedroom. As a younger man I was usually an all-night sleeper with only the rare interruption, not to mention the fact that I spent the first 40 years of my life sleeping on the same floor as a bathroom. But now here I am in mid-life with questionable knees, making the nightly 4 AM death-defying stumble down to the john.

Then there's the central placement of the existing bathroom, no more than 10 feet, as an indoor crow flies, from any spot in the main living area of our modest house. A dinner party deuce is absolutely out of the question.

There is no room for a legal bath on the 2nd floor but if we were here for the long haul I would just squeeze one in anyway. But we're not. I long for a mid-century ranch with a basement commode tucked under the stairs or off in a distant corner near the furnace. And a urinal. A urinal just makes so much fucking sense for a man, I can't believe it hasn't caught on more.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Got the 1 bathroom blues.

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:07 am

Speaking of first world problems...

I used to work in the office of a large road construction company in another state. There's money to be made in road construction, and the two brothers who owned the company were well off. Ok, they were filthy rich.

The daughter of one of the brothers worked in the office during the summers. I came back from lunch one day and she was in the midst of this long rant about how it was such a great injustice that her bathroom was SOOOO much smaller than her parent's bathroom. It went on like that for a good twenty minutes.

It was only after about the first 15 minutes of her diatribe that I realized she was talking about the bathrooms on their boat. Yes, their boat was big enough that it had at least two bathrooms. And it was just so unfair that her bathroom was smalller than her parent's bathroom. On their freaking boat.

At that point I had never lived in an apartment that had more than one bathroom. Did I mention that I have four siblings, plus my aunt lived with us while I was growing up?

Sorry for the hijack. I really do feel your pain, because I've been there.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 am

Here ya go. In more ways than one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0R41RAry_g
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Me, too. Fortunately, I don't have the stairs. My place is small enough that you are always close to the bathroom.My issue is that my boyfriend likes to squat and surf so his time in the bathroom is long. Even if I cut off internet access in the john, he would bring a book. I think I am dating Al Bundy.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:15 pm

LargeMarge wrote:My issue is that my boyfriend likes to squat and surf so his time in the bathroom is long.
I've known toilet seats like that. Makes one seasick.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 pm

We have a clear separation of bathrooms in our house. His is the big full bath on the 2nd floor, mine's the tiny half bath on the main floor. Our bedroom is on the 3rd floor, but on the rare occasion I need to pee in the night I usually trek down two flights to my loo.

We spent our first six years together with a single bathroom. Definitely would not want to go back to that.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm pretty lucky. I live in a 1 1/2 bath tri-level. The reason I know I'm lucky is that we are in the midst of remodeling said bathrooms, so for a few weeks we are living with a toilet, a shower stall, and no cabinets. Our stuff is in boxes so other than for TP, we can find everything. Except what we're looking for.

It really gives one an appreciation for "normal".
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All