MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Growing up Catholic

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Growing up Catholic

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:54 pm

I attended Catholic schools for 12 years in the fifties and sixties. The resignation of the pope and the start of the papal conclave brought back some old memories.

Ms Vilas (who grew up in some wishy-washy Protestant demonination) was suprised by the number of cardinals from Africa. She didn't realize that Catholic missionaries have been hard at work converting the pagans to the one true religion for many decades.

I then related the story of naming pagan babies. In eighth grade a missionary who just returned from Africa gave a presentation on his work. At the end we were told that if we donated five dollars to the cause, we could rename a newly baptised baby with a Christian surname. Because Ohio State just won the NCAA basketball tourney with their star Jerry Lucas, I gave up five bucks to have a kid called Jerome Lucas. He must be in his fifties by now. Don't know his last name. Maybe he'll be a cardinal some day.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Growing up Catholic

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm Catholic. Isn't the Pope election exciting? I can hardly sleep at night. Who will it be? What name will he choose? I'm rooting for Hilarius II or Hygenus II.

A list of some leading contenders
http://ow.ly/iO3DM
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All