MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Cultural Insensitivity

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I asked if any Catholic knew about the current Holy Days of Obligation, but I guess no foron is that observant, so I looked it up. Currently there are six (the circumcision of Jesus was dropped). Many occur on weekdays.

It's not that simple. (It rarely is with the RCC, which is probably why Huck is confused.)

January 1 is still an obligation in the US, except when it falls on a Saturday or a Monday, in which case Catholics get the day off. There are a couple other Saturday/Monday exceptions, and a couple (or a few, I think, depending on your diocese) that shift to the next Sunday. And since Sunday is already a day of obligation, that's like getting the holy day off.

To further complicate matters, I think bishops might have the option to shift the Saturday/Monday exceptions to the nearest Sunday if they fall during the week.

No idea what percentage of Catholics make it to every HDO. When I was a kid, the church was decidedly less crowded on, say, a midweek Immaculate Conception than on Sunday or Christmas or Easter.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:43 pm

I guess that means I'm not the only Catholic going to Hell when I die.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I guess that means I'm not the only Catholic going to Hell when I die.

All you have to do is say you're sorry to Jeebus on your death bed and all is well. Heaven and the spaghetti monster await.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:30 am

Looks like Stu contacted the Wisconsin State Journal over this issue.

Just remember those Catholic Holy Days of Obligation.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:15 am

Brenda Konkel, executive director of the Tenant Resource Center, said the organization would try to avoid such a conflict in the future. “It was a mistake and an oversight,” she said.

Still, Levitan was the only one who complained, she said, and the fundraiser was among the best attended and most lucrative ever for the organization. “It was kind of ironic,” Konkel said. “What would Jesus do if he were here? I think maybe he would have been raising money for the homeless.”

Barely subtle unabashed Jew-hate.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:16 pm

I see Stu is getting the same response that he got here:

cc1038 - 2 hours ago
The only thing preventing Mr. Levitan from attending the forum that night were the imaginary religious chains in which he voluntarily wrapped himself. He had a choice of what to do and he made that choice.
Stop blaming others for the consequences of adhering to your personal lifestyle.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Looks like Stu contacted the Wisconsin State Journal over this issue.

Just remember those Catholic Holy Days of Obligation.

Absolutely not - Doug Erickson called me after seeing this thread. Under no circumstances did I call him.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:38 pm

That would have been my other guess. Glad to see this forum gets the attention.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:That would have been my other guess. Glad to see this forum gets the attention.

Really? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I do understand cultural insensitivity somewhat. Not knowing any better, about 50 years ago I told a local shopkeeper, Sam Sweet. not to "be a Jew". After he told me he was a Jew, he banned me from his store and subsequently forgave me a couple of weeks later. I learned a lesson. I never forgot the hurt in his eyes, administered by me, a stupid 10 year old kid. By the way, rest in peace Sam. I noticed he passed away within the last year.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Stuey continues to get pounded:

There should be NO tolerance to religious observance. It's wholly fake sensitivity. Sure, expect everyone else to observe your religion. But, god forbid, you get sick, need to go to the hospital, or you're already in the hospital, and you expect and demand you be taken care by real nurses and doctors, some religious observance day be damned. You want cops to take calls, gas stations to be open, restaurants to serve food, airlines to fly, fire stations to be manned, military to be on duty, phone operators to be standing by, athletes to be entertaining you, tv stations to be broadcasting, electricity and water to be pumped to your house, movie theaters to be open, shopping malls to be open, drug stores available, grocery stores open in case you run out of vanilla extract.

Really, what drivel!

In what media outlet will he embarrass himself in next????
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All