MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, March 3, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Freezing Drizzle Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

More from the vapid Chris Rickert

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: More from the vapid Chris Rickert

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:52 am

Exactly. A ban on guns will be just as effective as the ban on cocaine/marijuana has been.

Do you think if cocaine and pot were legal that there would be more or less use?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

fisticuffs wrote:Do you think if cocaine and pot were legal that there would be more or less use?

I don't think there would be much change. Anyone who wants to get high can usually manage to find a way to get their drug of choice.

Same thing with gun bans...anyone who wants one will be able to get one. It'll be even easier once 3d printers become commonplace.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 am

there needs to more focus on the people involved and less focus on the objects being used.

This isn't either/or.

I want to see clearer accounting for where the guns are and how they got there.

In much the same way West, Texas should have been keeping better track -- and had better control over -- where ammonium nitrate was stored in quantity and how it was stored, every police department in the nation needs the same level of knowledge about stashes of guns. When there's a call to a residence, being able to know whether it contains 15 assault rifles and 1500 rounds of ammunition is valuable information. When a car is being stopped for violations, knowing whether the person to whom the car is titled has a gun permit would be useful information. In these instances, if the home or car occupants have been acting strangely, knowing where the guns are (or might be) gives the cops better survival odds even though the system isn't perfect, and will never be.

Why is handicapping our local police departments and advantaging possible criminals in the public interest?

The Boston bomb brothers had quite an arsenal, it seems, and that wasn't limited to pressure cookers. If what they were up to was even partially documented, they might have been under surveillance earlier, saving lives. People who are non-criminals and want to build a home arsenal have nothing to fear unless they're up to something, do they? If their activities are so benign or even in the public interest, they need to step up and take responsibility ahead of time. To resist doing so is antisocial and cowardly.

If your home arsenal is such a good thing, come on out and tell your neighbors so they can all sleep better tonight.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
How does anyone propose to effectively ban something that already exists by the millions in society? Pass a law, but what good would it do?

It would stop the bleeding. Every month these guns are legal hundreds of thousands more of them hit the streets. If we stop the sales now and allow those that already own them to keep them the likely hood they become a commodity and inexpensive and work their way into the hands of criminals decreases. There is no silver bullet to prevent these crimes just like there's no law that can be passed that will eliminate any crime but we certainly can do better than doing nothing.

BUT,
It wouldn't stop the bleeding any more than prohibition stopped the alcohol. All that accomplished was the creation of bastions of all kinds of lawlessness and Al Capone.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:39 pm

snoqueen wrote:
there needs to more focus on the people involved and less focus on the objects being used.

This isn't either/or.

I want to see clearer accounting for where the guns are and how they got there.

In much the same way West, Texas should have been keeping better track -- and had better control over -- where ammonium nitrate was stored in quantity and how it was stored, every police department in the nation needs the same level of knowledge about stashes of guns. When there's a call to a residence, being able to know whether it contains 15 assault rifles and 1500 rounds of ammunition is valuable information. When a car is being stopped for violations, knowing whether the person to whom the car is titled has a gun permit would be useful information. In these instances, if the home or car occupants have been acting strangely, knowing where the guns are (or might be) gives the cops better survival odds even though the system isn't perfect, and will never be.

Why is handicapping our local police departments and advantaging possible criminals in the public interest?

The Boston bomb brothers had quite an arsenal, it seems, and that wasn't limited to pressure cookers. If what they were up to was even partially documented, they might have been under surveillance earlier, saving lives. People who are non-criminals and want to build a home arsenal have nothing to fear unless they're up to something, do they? If their activities are so benign or even in the public interest, they need to step up and take responsibility ahead of time. To resist doing so is antisocial and cowardly.

If your home arsenal is such a good thing, come on out and tell your neighbors so they can all sleep better tonight.

I don't disagree with your notion. I suggest you start with "Fast and Furious" if you even know what that is.....
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Comrade wrote:I don't disagree with your notion. I suggest you start with "Fast and Furious" if you even know what that is.....

The really bad movie starring Vin Diesel, the inept Justice Department sting aimed at arresting gun runners or the comically debunked right-wing conspiracy theories surrounding it?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:16 pm

gee, sorry I killed you with this gun, but now you're dead so I guess there's nothing we can do about it.

keeee-rist.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:52 pm

snoqueen wrote:People who are non-criminals and want to build a home arsenal have nothing to fear unless they're up to something, do they?
Really? The "nothing to hide" fallacy? You sound like a Patriot Act supporter.
snoqueen wrote:If your home arsenal is such a good thing, come on out and tell your neighbors so they can all sleep better tonight.
Right, 'cause nothing bad could result from publishing a list of the valuable possessions in your home.

Sno, this is a disappointing post. Tsk, tsk.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Have you misled yourself into believing I am a hardcore libertarian because I said we should abolish bar time? tsk.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All