MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Clinton's Penis and other Banned Topics

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Clinton's Penis and other Banned Topics

Postby DCB » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

Stebben84 wrote: I may be wrong, but I don't think those threads were locked because of the specific topic, but how they were presented. When there is a heated topic and the OP writes a provocative title and then just quotes a news article without commentary, that's like picking a fight.

How do you explain the 'foiled plot' thread??? Is attributing positive attributes to people of a certain religion more provocative than a thread titled "Radical ISLAM" by TDPF's worst troll?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 am

OK, I've gotta say it. That topic -- the train one -- could have brought so much positive information, restoration, and balance to these discussions I think locking it is a big loss. Maintaining public safety relies, ultimately, on public cooperation with the authorities. The public was helping in that Canadian story, doing exactly what is needed in so many other places and instances.

Actions like that show the way out, not the way to dig in even further. The US, along with this little forum, could only benefit by considering, absorbing, and implementing what that story showed.

I hope the locking will cause readers to go back and consider the case on their own, and find other ways to discuss and share the beneficial side. Maybe our calling attention to it here with a few careful and neutrally-worded posts will help a bit.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 am

DCB wrote:Is attributing positive attributes to people of a certain religion more provocative than a thread titled "Radical ISLAM" by TDPF's worst troll?

Point taken. I guess I was wrong.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Stebbin-

Look, I will admit the Union Thug thread was looking for a reaction. I am completely sick of the "conservative" bashing/scapegoating of our union employees.

I have never been part of a union and probably will never be. I am an owner of an accounting firm in Madison, hire employees and want Madison and Dane County to be the best they can. If to wasn't for a handful of dedicated "Union Thug" teachers I wouldn't be where I am today. I can look back at the people who molded me and realize how gratefully I am that they touched my life.

Our excellent school system, which has numerous faults and problems, attracts the kind of people I want working for my firm. The quality of living in Dane County attracts the kind of people I want working for my firm. I am very concerned that 10 years from now there will be multiple closing of rural schools and consolidations as school districts have no choice becasee state monies are reduced and the Governor doesn't allow the increase in property taxes if the local community wants to maintain their schools.

The system is being setup to fail and then the Republicans are going to crow that they were right and private schools are the only way to go knowing full well that their policies caused the decline.

So when I see an article that is widely published in national and regional newspares that Unions are doing something amazing I am going to post it to this board. After a year of being the cause of all things awful in Wisconsin we need to actual see what increadible positive things Unions do that don't just involve serving/protecting their members.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Ok, so what have we got so far? Anyone disagree with any of these? Is there ever a good time to bring up one of these topics? Are they universally pointless and inflammatory?

Clinton's Penis
Chappaquiddick
Hitler taking away Jew's guns
Watergate
Benghazi
Fast and Furious
The timing of labeling something "terrorism"
NAMBLA
Segway Jeremy Ryan

No Righties want to weigh in on stuff they find pointless and inflammatory?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Obama's birth certificate, college transcripts and teleprompter. None of these things are intended to create an actual discussion. They're simply thrown into an argument to irritate people.

Michelle Obama's figure and attractiveness.

The breed of Obama's dog.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:59 pm

pjbogart wrote:Michelle Obama's figure and attractiveness.
The physical appearance of any politician, for that matter. Posting unflattering pics of someone as if that somehow makes what they do or say irrelevant demonstrates that not only do you have nothing to say, but you are a shallow asshole to boot. This is as true for Hillary Clinton as it is for Chris Christie.

Oh, and saying that either science or atheism is a religion is a great way to show me you haven't thought much about either and just want to get a rise out of me. (I've been really really good lately about not taking troll bait, but unfortunately for all involved, this one will pretty much always work.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Saddam Hussein was a tyrannical dictator- This is a popular ruse among conservatives to deflect criticism of the pointless invasion of Iraq. The weapons of mass destruction excuse fell through, so their "go to" excuse is that he was a tyrant who was killing his own people. Occasionally, they'll even point out that Muslims kill homosexuals, as though liberals will do an about face when they find out that any homosexual has been harmed.

Here's the problem. Republicans don't give a shit about the Iraqi people, and even if they did, killing 200,000 of them to depose their tyrannical dictator is, er... throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The same people that they refer to as "pigs" and "Islamofascists" are suddenly an object of their affection? And the notion that Republicans would invade a country to save its homosexuals from persecution is so dumb that you couldn't even find a Republican that actually believes it.

Don't go there. If you need to justify the war in Iraq, you can do so 100 ways without pretending that you were concerned for the Iraqi people, or even more bizarrely, for its homosexual citizenry.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:15 pm

The banning brigade's happier than pigs in mud by the recent turn of events.

"By more tightly controlling topics and discussion, we'll have more truth!"

Makes sense to me. Congrats Joycie.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:43 pm

By definition, less Ned Flanders would mean more truth. So, yes - if increasing the signal to noise ratio is your goal, then it totally makes sense.

But - speaking personally, I'm not a ban fan. By all means, let the Neds and the Meades continue to spew their ludicrous shit; it's easy enough to tune it out.

Haters gotta hate; liars gotta lie; gibberers gotta gibber.

[cue Satchmo singing "What a Wonderful World"]
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Ned's just lashing out because the thread's title promised him a lot more of Clinton's Penis than it's actually delivering.

Can't say I blame him. It is kind of a bait and switch.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:21 pm

After all these years, you haters still can't acknowledge the proper spelling of Klinton. For shame.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:35 pm

These aren't actually banned topics, they're just topics which I think are off-topic in any conversation, which by Jason's rules would be banned. They're pointless trigger words and phrases which are intended to anger people but never foster conversation. Oddly enough, "Clinton's penis" has become more of a trigger for the left as a way of ridiculing the right than vice versa.

And righties are perfectly welcome to add some topics that they find pointless and inflammatory.

I think "My Pet Goat" is an unfair ridicule of George W. Bush. He was reading to children. Did you expect Howard Zinn or Noam Chomsky? There really isn't any reason to bring up "My Pet Goat" other than to irritate conservatives.

Wide Stance, Diaper Dan, George W. Bush snorted coke (as if you care).
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Bill Ayers- Republicans spent a great deal of time ridiculing Bill Ayers, a self-described "small 'c' communist" and a former leader of the 60's radical group "Weather Underground". Efforts to link him to Obama after they'd sufficiently demonized him proved relatively fruitless, but he remains a bizarre talking point for the tinfoil hat contingent.

Bill Ayers

Bill Ayers is, in essence, a one-man strawman. All you need to do is mention his name and fringe lunatics begin foaming at the mouth, as though their hatred of his name is somehow proof that Barack Obama is a communist and a terrorist.

Defending Bill Ayers is a pointless pursuit, because even if you successfully cleared his name of all the bizarre shit he pulled in the 1960's, he still wouldn't have any connection to Barack Obama. His name is a trigger, not intended to foster conversation, but simply to rile people on both the left and the right.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Palm trees.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All