Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
jamesmadisonpark
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Catch All, He Did!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Catch All, He Did!

Postby david cohen » Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm

This morning, on my way down old Sherman Ave at the Tenney Locks, I passed a young fisherman. He was lugging a huge Muskie, still attached to his rod and reel, which he must have just pulled from the Yahara or Lake Mendota. I wanted to pull over and ask him to release this behemoth. I didn't, due to traffic and construction right by Tenney, and now I wonder why the angler didn't release it on his own after taking a photo and getting a weight and measurement. He wasn't alone. If you are out there, I hope you like your trophy, but really...you were lucky enough to catch a true predator and an older one at that, without a boat to boot!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Catch All, He Did!

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 08, 2013 8:17 am

I wish he'd have released it too, but it's still cool knowing those things are out there and knowing some young person reeled one in. Wonder how old it was.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 08, 2013 8:31 am

I don't keep anything I catch. I don't like to clean them but my buddies usually do. A huge freaking Muskie I might be tempted to mount. The wife wouldn't let me hang it anywhere though so maybe not.

There are lots of fish in the lake. If it was over the legal limits there's no reason not to keep it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 am

Maybe he likes to eat fish.

Maybe he NEEDS to eat fish.

Maybe he was fishing for a bunch of small fish to eat, caught one big fish to eat, and called it a day.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 am

Muskie isn't very good eatin'
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

How young was the young fisherman? Sounds like he caught something way bigger than planned and didn't know how to get it off the line, in the water or out.

"Dad! HELP!!!"
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed May 08, 2013 12:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Muskie isn't very good eatin'

A person needing to eat may beg to differ.

Heck, a young fisherman walking down the street with a muskie still attached to a rod may beg to differ.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm

The DNR uses the fishing regulations as a management tool and would encourage the kid to keep the fish if legal. By keeping legal fish you are helping the resource.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm

I think Wack Wack may have nailed it. If you don't have the tools to get that thing off the line it's best not to try.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 pm

I think you might want to define the age of the "Young Fisherman" and who he appeared to be with. I'm pretty sure if had caught a huge muskie at age 8 or even 12, I'd definitly have wanted to keep my prize, and having some old fuddy duddy tell me to toss it back would have been a major downer.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 pm

My glimpse of him indicated he was probably in the 20-24 yr old range but, frankly, I was looking at that Muskie! It was a big one, even as it faded in my rear view mirror. The guy had his rod up straight as he was walking and that fish's tail was within a foot of the sidewalk. I think he was pan fishing and caught Moby Dick instead.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Just an aside, with the thread title, david cohen outed himself as Yoda.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 08, 2013 2:59 pm

I spend a week each summer at a cabin with kids and every day there's a cry of "Dad! Dad!" coming from somebody on the dock holding up a fishing pole with a Northern twisting around on the end. I'm an advocate of dock fishing with as little tackle as necessary, so sometimes it's me doing the yelling. I can only imagine hoping to get in 20 casts before work in the hopes of bringing up a Crappie or four and instead getting this huge lunker.

Dude was probably bringing it back to show his stoner roommate. "I TOLD you there were muskies in Mendota!"
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 08, 2013 3:11 pm

I never heard of anyone eating muskie but sure enough, lots of recipes found with a quick Google search. Trouble is, being at the top of the food chain, toxic metals accumulate (I'm thinking about mercury).

Anyways, I look at (deliberate) catch and release about the same as hunting with a tranquilizer gun. What's the point? When I fish, I want to eat my catch.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed May 08, 2013 6:04 pm

I tell ya Henry, I'm an avid fisherman. I'm not the best fisherman, but I've been doing it since I was a kid spending summers in Laconia, N.H. I've fished all over the east coast, salt and fresh water. I've fished in Canada, Central America, Asia, the Carribean and, of course, Wisconsin. It's a very relaxing way to spend some time even if you don't get a bite. But I've never actually caught a Muskie. I've seen them hurdling the spillway into Lake Wingra and man, they are beautiful. I was raised to always release what I caught unless I was hungry. (I do have a 9 ft. Atlantic Sailfish on my living room wall that my grandpa caught in the Keys in 1962) Seeing this guy walking down Sherman with a Muskie that he clearly hooked from dry land in the middle of a city isn't a sight I'll soon forget- only in Madison!

Hey if you are out thee and read this thread, let us know how long that monster was! Beautiful fish:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All