MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 12.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Are your tomatoes in yet?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Are your tomatoes in yet?

Postby TeachInPeace » Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Frost warnings tonight and tomorrow for Milwaukee - I'll do it next weekend. :)
TeachInPeace

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 23, 2013 12:42 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Nobody look at the FoRecast fOr ThurSday nighT going into Friday morning.

I did.
'Tis nothing,
All good.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu May 23, 2013 1:06 am

I will cover mine. It's all good.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri May 24, 2013 11:53 am

I meticulously covered my tomatoes and peppers in the ground with covers and straw on top of that yesterday afternoon. This morning I remembered I had one more tomato transplant hardening off on the balcony, still in its cell pack, along with some frost sensitive flowers. I opened the door expected to see dead, crispy, frost burned seedlings...instead they looked up at me like, "what?" They are completely fine. According to the NOAA website, it got down to 36 degrees just before morning and held near there for about 3 hours. Interesting.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 pm

I had some frost on my deck and a few patches on my lawn. But my garden, including all the tomato and pepper plants, was fine.

In fact, because of the nice mix of rain and sun the last few weeks, my garden is looking better than it has since I don't know when.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm now debating whether to remove the covers yet, since tonight is going to be cold too. A day of darkness or a night of near freezing...wonder which is worse? I know tomatoes and peppers get shipped in dark shipping boxes, so I'm assuming the dark won't hurt them as much as the cold potentially could...
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Any temperatures below 50 F will permanently stunt tomato plants due to production of anthocyanins. If you had tomato plants in the ground last night you can try this experiment: sow the same variety tomato seeds directly in the soil between your cold-damaged plants. Observe growth rate and productivity. Prediction: plants from direct-sown seeds will be 3 - 6 times more productive than those which experienced cold temps last night.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri May 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:I'm now debating whether to remove the covers yet, since tonight is going to be cold too. A day of darkness or a night of near freezing...wonder which is worse? I know tomatoes and peppers get shipped in dark shipping boxes, so I'm assuming the dark won't hurt them as much as the cold potentially could...

I don't know where you live, but the forecast is for a low of 43 in Madison. Your tomatoes would benefit from the sun today.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 25, 2013 12:11 am

Meade wrote:Any temperatures below 50 F will permanently stunt tomato plants due to production of anthocyanins. If you had tomato plants in the ground last night you can try this experiment: sow the same variety tomato seeds directly in the soil between your cold-damaged plants. Observe growth rate and productivity. Prediction: plants from direct-sown seeds will be 3 - 6 times more productive than those which experienced cold temps last night.

I forgot that I had to check out this weekend, so I plugged some of the transplants before the holiday. Low temp last night at my local was 36C.
I will try your experiment, any recommendation regarding dressing the seeds?
I will report the results.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 am

Michael Patrick wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:I'm now debating whether to remove the covers yet, since tonight is going to be cold too. A day of darkness or a night of near freezing...wonder which is worse? I know tomatoes and peppers get shipped in dark shipping boxes, so I'm assuming the dark won't hurt them as much as the cold potentially could...

I don't know where you live, but the forecast is for a low of 43 in Madison. Your tomatoes would benefit from the sun today.

If I'm reading this right, it got down to 36 again last night....

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KMSN.html

Glad I left the covers on. They will come off this morning.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat May 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Mad Howler wrote:I will try your experiment, any recommendation regarding dressing the seeds?

http://www.veggiegardener.com/fertilizi ... to-plants/
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Meade wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:I will try your experiment, any recommendation regarding dressing the seeds?

http://www.veggiegardener.com/fertilizi ... to-plants/

Okay, I get it.
Fertilization of your tomato plants is important with regard to plant vigor and yield.
You suggested direct seeding of tomato at our latitude.
So how do suggest accelerating the required germination and early growth to catch up to my transplants, given June is about a week away?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All