MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

new bike-car question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: new bike-car question

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Yes to the track stands. That's the batshit-insane offensive.

In defense of the drivers like Sno who do this, its a learned behavior, if you have one or two bikers fly across your path, even when you're in the right, you don't want to take the chance of killing someone and having it on your conscience for the rest of your life -- I get it, so I do my best not to judge.

I appreciate that. I really don't want to feel that thud and know I probably wrecked somebody's life, even if the dumbness was totally on their part. If you ever hit a deer maybe you get the idea.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I was in a car today with a friend -- I'm the passenger. She is a totally sane person in every other context, but I couldn't believe the new personality that came out when she was driving. She got mad when lights changed slowly, for crying out loud (the idea of mentally timing inanimate stoplights had never before in my life entered my mind). She came within about four inches of sideswiping a parked car. She went flying through a road construction site where men were working right in her path. I was very glad to get out of the car before something bad actually happened.

I am not sure if this all was inattention, or some weird latent version of herself that suddenly took over. The only clue I had was she's always in a hurry. Maybe this was more hurrying, though we had no reason at all to be in one as this was a purely optional drive.

My point is maybe people have these other sides, maybe not even conscious, to their personality that come out on the road, and it's not only car drivers. I am not sure what conclusion to draw except to assume other people are sane is perhaps unwarranted.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:46 pm

This was my favorite interaction yesterday: Sitting at the stoplight on Sherman at Schlimgen, first in line in the right lane. I hear a car pull up behind me. The light turns green, still nobody in the left lane. The (as it turns out) giant ass SUV behind me STAYS IN THE RIGHT LANE to zoom pass me, even though nobody was in the left lane, just about knocking me over. PATRIOT was the license plate, of course. What a jackass.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Mini that's some scary shit.

The main thing that chapped me this morning was the constant "shoaling" I got from one particular rider.

Explained way better then I can here:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... cycle.html

Super irritating but not dangerous for the most part. Maybe Sno is on to something with this different personality idea. I can't imagine this person treats any other line they encounter in a day like this.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:11 pm

dave esmond wrote:
The main thing that chapped me this morning was the constant "shoaling" I got from one particular rider.

Explained way better then I can here:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... cycle.html

Oh man, yeah, why do people do this? It really drives me nuts when other bikers pass on the right to pull this trick. Nobody should ever be passing on the right, ever, for any reason. It's unexpected and dangerous for everyone.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 pm

minicat wrote:PATRIOT was the license plate, of course. What a jackass.

Holy shit, I think I had a run-in with that guy last night on Sherman. Little flags on the luggage rack near the back? The guy did not like being confronted over his inability to maintain travel in a single lane. I told him to take the flags off his vehicle so foreigners wouldn't think all Americans are incompetent idiots. He didn't like that, but he wasn't feeling too brave either so he sped off swearing a blue streak and waving his finger out the window.

My bad bike interaction of the day was on Johnson, turning left onto Henry (at State) with the green. A biker blew through his red on State to merge into the bike lane on Johnson as I was taking my left. He panicked and ended up grounding his bike and sprawling out right in front of my grill, then got up yelling like it was my fault that he's a moron who ran a red light and crossed a lane of traffic. I can't believe there are people in the world who are dumb enough to do something like that. It just blows my mind every time I see it, and I see it multiple times per week at that intersection.

And both cases illustrate something that I've seen a lot more of in Madison than anywhere else - when a person is obviously, objectively, unequivocally in the wrong but they react with rage and defensiveness instead of just accepting their mistake. Both those guys fucked up, and their first reaction upon getting called out was to try to turn it into somebody else's fault. Insecure children.
Last edited by Ninja on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Ninja wrote:
minicat wrote:PATRIOT was the license plate, of course. What a jackass.

Holy shit, I think I had a run-in with that guy last night on Sherman. L

Oh man, this dickbag cut me off too while on my bike earlier this week.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Jeebus. This guy's cutting a wide swath.

I guess my initial thought about calling in that license plate to the po-pos may have not been so off-base.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:47 pm

It shouldn't be too hard to find out who's got PATRIOT for a license number. He's somebody's neighbor, if nothing else.

Having a license plate PATRIOT and a bunch of flag stickers more or less guarantees somebody's got a chip on their shoulder, doesn't it?

In the past you could look up license numbers and find out who they belonged to (useful if someone was parking on your property, for instance), but now I think you've got to go to DMV in person and probably pay a fee. It's not on their web page any more.

No wonder.

I think notifying the po-po is a good idea. On this page is a link to a form for submitting complaints:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/

If several of you did this at the same time it might get more attention. I imagine the north side cops already know the vehicle.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Yeah. What stopped me last night (other than that I'd finally gotten to the downhill part of Sherman) is I always worry that causing trouble for someone like this will make him specifically start targeting bikers. Not sure which outcome would be worse.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All