MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Tears. Shed.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Tears. Shed.

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:24 am

Weird thing. Tears. I rarely indulge them. Tony Soprano couldn't elicit them, despite being a favorite character of mine for well over a decade now. Outside of seasonal allergies, I normally need the passing of a close friend or relative for any kind of eye moisture to form in these here ducts.

But ya know what just did it....? In less than 60 seconds right now out of the blue...? Me just now watching tonight's recorded episode of the Colbert Report. I was wondering why they were playing reruns lately. I thought maybe they were just taking a Summer breather or impromptu hiatus because of Stewart's absence.

But no, Colbert's mother finally passed away after a scant 92 years on this here spinning blue rock of ours. And the show's resulting intro and Stephen's eulogy actually moved me to tears.

A first, outside of family or close friends, for me.

Anyone else been literally moved to tears by a television personality before?

I sure haven't.

Anyway, long story short, what all this really means to me is a true testament to Stephen Colbert and his legendary status as an American Icon and purveyor of all good things when it boils downs to purveyors of all things good.

Sorry for your loss Stephen.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tears. Shed.

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:13 pm

That was really beautiful. This had a similar effect on me as an example of how you can feel an emotional connection with a complete stranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHagKeo86k
(This is video of an old lady who survived the tornado in Oklahoma City. Her house was destroyed and she lost her little dog. Or so she thought ...)
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:31 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:(This is video of an old lady who survived the tornado in Oklahoma City. Her house was destroyed and she lost her little dog. Or so she thought ...)

Not many youtube videos bring me as close to tears as that one did. I was watching with a co-worker and she had to leave as she started crying, and I started to tear up.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:(This is video of an old lady who survived the tornado in Oklahoma City. Her house was destroyed and she lost her little dog. Or so she thought ...)

Not many youtube videos bring me as close to tears as that one did. I was watching with a co-worker and she had to leave as she started crying, and I started to tear up.

It's kinda eerie how good Youtube is at grouping related content. I just spent the last while watching videos of pets found alive in rubble.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:48 pm

That was a nice piece. It seems like his mom was a great gal.

I have found find real life situations and fictional ones tear-worthy, but I didn't so much in this particular case. I think that maybe is because of the whole "I'm a real person... no, I'm playing a character" thing that he does.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Jesus, just watched this on DVR. Full-on nose blower for me.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 pm

He does a great job of carrying on his family name.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:45 am

A couple days ago my elderly cat got sick and was acting in a despondent way I'd never seen before. I frantically rushed him to the vet where I sat for four hours hoping for the best but expecting the worse. My gf did her best to console me on how he had a good 17 years and was about as spoiled rotten as any animal could be.

Anyway, after bloodwork, xrays, and other tests, the vet rendered her diagnosis... dehydrated and constipated. They gave him fluids and within an hour he pooped and then was hopping all over the exam room giving me this look like "what's all the fuss about?".

We took him home and he's doing great. Now, some people like to identify themselves as either a dog or cat person. I am neither. I am an animal person. And within an hour or so of returning home that night we were watching a show on Animal Planet when the following commercial came on:

Watch.

Talk about a full-on nose blower. I flat out lost my shit for a good ten minutes after.

I must be getting soft in my old age. My poor cat... this was pretty much me with him the rest of the night:

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All