MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

XBox 360

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

XBox 360

Postby MadMind » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:41 pm

With the launch of the Xbox 360 drawing nearer (Nov 22), I was wondering if anyone knows of any "launch parties" in the area?
Sure, Toys 'R Us in Times Square is holding one, but I'm wondering if there will be any pre/post launch parties held right here in the upper-midwest. Either large or small, retail or private, independently owned or chain stores etc.
I'm not going to be purchasing one right away, but am interested in getting a first hand look.
Last edited by MadMind on Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:17 am

HYPE.

The pricing is unreal. If you're rich, preorder a few of them, and then sell them on Ebay. Last time after the initial stock was sold out, people on Ebay were paying double.

One dude even managed to buy a box, IIRC. For like $300. The auction said "Xbox - Original Packaging", with a picture of the box. Turns out it was just the packaging. LOL!!

Core System $349
Premium System $419
Live Bundle $579
Pro Bundle w/ Hard Drive $700

Games will be $60.00 this time. I've seen bundles as high as $1200 with like 3 games and controllers/whatever.

I want one, but I'm definitely waiting a good 6 months, or more.

Only place left to preorder afaik: Ritz Camera dot Com
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marge » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Beer Moon wrote:One dude even managed to buy a box, IIRC. For like $300. The auction said "Xbox - Original Packaging", with a picture of the box. Turns out it was just the packaging. LOL!!

Oy! Poor guy. I bet he left some nasty negative feedback.
Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:35 pm

It looks like someone has uncovered the first Madison area emergence of the XBox 360 - at the Sun Prairie Wal-Mart.
http://www.dane101.com/topics/current/technology
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:44 pm

Went to the Sun Prairie Wal-Mart to check it out. Read my hands-on first impressions in the comments section here ---> http://www.dane101.com/technology/2005/ ... un_prairie
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:31 pm

Hey nice write up on the games.

COD2 is out on PC already, FYI.

I refuse to go to Wal Mart even to look at stuff, but maybe I'll check it out when/if it hits some other store.

And uh, if they put some interesting games on it.

COD2 - ANOTHER WWII game. forgive me if I'm not excited.
Kameo - huh?
King Kong - probly get it on PC.

They need a Halo (and not a Halo 3). I'm not quite sure Perfect Dark Zero is going to carry it. They still don't have a title that makes me think I should buy one. Most things come out on PC anyway and for those of us with decent gaming rigs, quite frankly, console graphics have nothing to offer.

A game like Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit would have been an excellent exclusive launch title. Of course they'd need to touch up the textures a bit... At any rate, if there's no exclusive game you can't get anywhere else, and it's not a DVR/TiVo type box, then why bother?

They should have been shooting for one new exclusive game from each genre: FPS, RTS, Action/Adventure, Sports, Racing, etc., and preferably a couple that are ground-breaking new ideas rather than this sequel trash they keep feeding us.

FPS games especially are homogenizing into this WWII/realistic shooter crap. Half Life 2 is one of very few innovative shooters, and the most popular game mode in it mimics the same-old WWII 1-shot and you're dead game modes. The adventure games market is being drowned by GTA and it's multitude of ass-reamingly boring sequels. How many times can you beat up a hooker before it's not fun any more? For me, it was about 4 times. I guess for most people it's 40,000?

Games that tried to do something new:

Black & White 2
Fable
Savage
Viewtiful Joe
Indigo Prophecy

Most of them quite successfully.

Anyway, as for the console, unless there's a game on there I can't get anywhere else that I absolutely must have, I'm going to sit back and wait for the price to come down, if I even buy it at all. Maybe I'll just wait for the first wave to hit Ebay before the PS3 release (what is that, sometime in 2007? haha).
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:29 pm

I happened to go to Best Buy yesterday and saw a line of people outside at around 7pm, waiting in line for the Xbox 360 which wouldn't be available until store opening the next day at 9am!
Apparently theres reason behind it;
http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/local/in ... ntid=62423

If you get the premium pack which is backwards compatible, you might think of getting rid of your old Xbox right? Well I asked Electronics Boutique how much they give for Xbox's. $60 trade in or $48 cash. I wonder if that's fairly standard rate or not. Only a fraction of what it originally costs, but I suppose it's better than nothing since the old Xbox won't be of much use to those who have a backwards compatible 360.

As for the launch games http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox360launchgames.htm it seems as if Call Of Duty 2 is the closest thing to a killer app the 360 has. Since Rare worked on Perfect Dark Zero up until the very last moment, hands-on reviews are hard to come by, but it sounds as if it's getting mixed results.
Condemned got some praise, but not sure if it's a real buyer because it's been said that it's possible to finish the game within a day or two.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:39 pm

I would hold on to your XBox even if you plan on getting a 360. There is a list of games that are compatible with the 360 and it's missing some important titles. I assume that they will get around to providing compatibility patches for more games as time goes on but is it really worth the $60? I plan on getting a 360 when the next shipment comes in but I'm going to hold on to my Xbox too.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:49 pm

Games are shite IMHO.

Isn't stopping people from horking their pre-orders on E-bay. Saw one auction today end at $10,100.00.

Most others are in the $1500-2000 range. Not bad for $450 (most of the sales are for Premium bundles, which cost under $500).

Also saw an XBox 360 WATER BOTTLE sell for $495.00. Morons.

Then, there's THIS

Some gamers have gone to even greater extremes - like the man who robbed an Electronics Boutique store in Stafford, Virginia in the early hours of this morning. According to US website GameSpot, he held the store manager up at gunpoint and ordered him to hand over two Xbox 360s. Presumably ones with hard drives.

Can't find it, but I read a story earlier today about a 17 yr old who was the first to walk out of his Best Buy with a system. Two guys ran up to him in the parking lot, smacked him in the face, nabbed his system, and took off.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ms4denmark » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:35 pm

Just saw a core (the worse of the two) go for over 2000...bet that person's kids are going to hate them. It's not worth it to waste all that money and time right now. I don't understand why they put out such a low amount at first, but then again, I have enough games to play now as it is that it's better to just wait til they are in stock.
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:20 pm

ShaneDog wrote:I would hold on to your XBox even if you plan on getting a 360. There is a list of games that are compatible with the 360 and it's missing some important titles. I assume that they will get around to providing compatibility patches for more games as time goes on but is it really worth the $60? I plan on getting a 360 when the next shipment comes in but I'm going to hold on to my Xbox too.

Thanks for pointing that out Shane. I knew about it but wasn't sure if it would be true after it was all said and done - that the 360 isn't fully backwards compatible with ALL Xbox titles.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwar ... eslist.htm
I know I have at least one important game that isn't on that list. No question about it, lesser known titles are at risk of being entirely ignored.
Not only that, but it appears that it's going to be a whole process http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwar ... bility.htm to update your 360 to make it compatible with your Xbox games if you don't have Xbox live. For those who A) do not have Xbox Live or B) do not have direct access to a computer with a CD/DVD burner, your only option will then be to order a disc from Xbox.com which there will be a nominal fee charged for the disc plus shipping and handling. Basically it'll be a pain in the ass to update your 360 to play newly added backwards compatible Xbox games unless you have access to Xbox Live.

This predicament pisses me off personally, because I'd like to get rid of that big bulky black box (and getting a trade-in amount isn't such a bad thing either) altogether in favor of the new 360 - it's what I did with the PSOne once I got the PS2, which in retrospect was a mistake because I only got $20 bucks for it, and later discovered that not every last PSOne game I owned worked so well on the PS2.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:20 am

B) do not have direct access to a computer with a CD/DVD burner

CD Burners cost like $20.00.

$20.99 for 52X burner on Newegg

The media goes for less than .50 cents a pop.

I just picked up the best DVD burner on the market. It does DVD +R/-R, +RW/-RW, Dual Layer, CD R/RW. Cost for burner: $39.99.

BenQ Beige 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

Saved me from buying another hard drive.

Seriously, there is no reason except pure laziness or poverty to not have access to the internet and a CD Burner. And those in poverty are highly unlikely to need to update their Xbox 360.

The list of people who have an Xbox 360 and cannot afford a $20.00 CD burner is non-existent.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:16 pm

Beer Moon wrote:
B) do not have direct access to a computer with a CD/DVD burner

The list of people who have an Xbox 360 and cannot afford a $20.00 CD burner is non-existent.

I suppose you may have a point there. I guess my point is that you need a few pre-req's and must take the time and effort to update your 360 to play newly added backwards compatible Xbox games. Just seems like kind of a nuisance to me. But yes, it's better than not having the ability to play Xbox games at all. And to be fair, regardless of the price, not all console game players own PC's and/or have access to the internet.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:31 pm

...Issues with backwards compatibility continued;

Content will not be transferable from Xbox to Xbox 360, including saved data and downloadable content.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:14 pm

What game is it that you love so much that you are angry at not being able to transfer a saved game, but that you do not like enough to play through again?

Gotta figure you're going to play it again anyway in case they enable any textures in the new version or whatever. I heard Halo 2 will look different or something. I've already played Halo 2 though, so I won't replay it on Xbox 360 when I get one sometime in Fall 06.

They are doing a lot of work to make them backwards compatible. To be quite honest, I'd rather have it NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE AT ALL, and have more power or features available. I already played those games. I'm not buying a new console to play old games on, I am buying it so I can play NEW GAMES that I can't ALREADY PLAY.

I never bitched about whiny stupid shit like this when I moved from Nintendo to Nintendo 64 etc etc etc. I seriously don't get it. So keep the old one around. Big deal. Throw in a $20 A/V switcher from Radio Shack and be done with it.

Take the backwards compatible shit out of the development time and put that effort toward making the new games that much better. It's a waste of fucking time, in my opinion.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games