MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

XBox 360

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:47 am

Well I finally had to buy in, what with Mass Effect coming out tomorrow and all. Never met a Bioware title I didn't like.

I bought in on the Pro Bundle, with 2 free games for $350. Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2. Didn't think I would, but I am liking Forza and haven't got into Marvel much yet. It is VERY nice to game in HD.

The console is very LOUD. With game music on and such it's not a big deal, but there are 2 60mm fans cranking away at what sounds like 2000RPMs a pop. The console does indeed get very warm and toasty.

I can see that the fans are placed in front of a silver piece of metal with relatively small holes for ventilation. Not like the honeycomb structure you usually find, more like a piece of metal with holes punched in it. Not enough holes!!

I'm tempted to mod it just to cool the thing off, but I'm afraid of voiding the warranty, since it's pretty clear they're doing full on replacements for consoles that burn up. I have it standing on it's side, and there is no way I would put this into a closed cabinet with the rest of my home theater components, which would be tempting to do based on the jet engine sound it's putting out right now. If you own one, I suggest you keep it in open air and away from heaters or anything else that puts off heat.

I have put in a few 4+ hr sessions so far, and it does seem to stay stable from a temperature standpoint, so I'm hoping that keeping it ventilated by having it on its side will be enough. Mass Effect is tomorrow though, so this weekend we will see what an 8 hr session does.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:53 am

Also, I won an auction on eBay for Hitman: Blood Money for 360 for $25 shipped.

STRONGLY recommend hitting eBay for used 360 games. Seller shipping cost is still way below a used game store's 300% markup.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Beer Moon wrote:I bought in on the Pro Bundle, with 2 free games for $350. Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2.

So is it a Falcon?

How to find a Falcon model 360 in stores

Based on the info in this thread, A Falcon model Xbox 360 MUST BE:

1. Lot #0734 or later (all SKUs)
2. Manufactured on or after 8/24/07
3. Team FDOU (Other teams may be Falcon as well, but none have been reported)

Please note that getting a Falcon console is not guaranteed even if everything matches the above information. Only some new consoles are Falcon, and no Falcon refurb consoles have been reported.

How to find Lot and Team info:
There is a white sticker on the side of the box with the lot # and team. In order to find the manufacturing date without opening the box, there is a flap on the side of the box that allows you to peek inside and see the manufacturing date on the console itself.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:48 pm

Red Ring of Death last night watching a movie. Get Bill Gates in Here! You said the 360 would be faster with better access to the internet. It is over 1100x... BANG!
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:30 pm

MadMind wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:I bought in on the Pro Bundle, with 2 free games for $350. Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2.

So is it a Falcon?

How to find a Falcon model 360 in stores

Based on the info in this thread, A Falcon model Xbox 360 MUST BE:

1. Lot #0734 or later (all SKUs)
2. Manufactured on or after 8/24/07
3. Team FDOU (Other teams may be Falcon as well, but none have been reported)

Please note that getting a Falcon console is not guaranteed even if everything matches the above information. Only some new consoles are Falcon, and no Falcon refurb consoles have been reported.

How to find Lot and Team info:
There is a white sticker on the side of the box with the lot # and team. In order to find the manufacturing date without opening the box, there is a flap on the side of the box that allows you to peek inside and see the manufacturing date on the console itself.

Manufacture date 09/07
Lot 0736
Team FDOU
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:06 pm

How's Mass Effect?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:37 pm

Game of the Year easy.

Possibly game of the decade.

I have about 30 hours in so far, and I have really just begun to explore it.

It's epic.

If you were deciding between which console to get - Wii or PS3 or 360, you would previously look at hardware specs, price, etc etc etc.

Now the decision is easy. Just say "Mass Effect".
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:11 pm

I'm in the lot thats too dimwitted to play RPGs ( I actually bought my first xbox for KOTOR, never got more than 5 hours into it because it bored me), so getting Mass Effect is entirely dependant on if the unreal 3-fueled combat is meaty enough. I'd love to put my team on auto-level up and play, because I sure love a good story, and the dialog box thing looks like a nice way of spicing up the normally exposition heavy talking parts. I just dislike all the item management and stat tracking so many RPGs ask for.

It'll be refreshing to play a game thats deeper than some lone space marine thats humanity's last hope.

wait a sec...
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:28 am

Shipley wrote:I'm in the lot thats too dimwitted to play RPGs ( I actually bought my first xbox for KOTOR, never got more than 5 hours into it because it bored me)...

I played through KOTOR (getting both endings), 70+ hours, and all-in-all in hindsight I think KOTOR was overrated.
While KOTOR at times did reproduce some of that excitement I felt for the Star Wars universe of the first three films (moreso than any of the prequels did), overall I felt that there was a severe overabundance of speech (even though it was extroidinarily well done) and character interaction, and the combat felt rather detached (I would have preferred it to skew a bit more towards real-time button-mashing action).
Oh, and the (short) endings sucked and weren't near enough reward for a 70 hour game!

I guess after all that I'm thinking twice before delving into another Bioware RPG.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:31 am

I liked KOTOR and thought it was overrated as well. However, Mass Effect supposedly has a much improved speech / dialogue system.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Elder Scrolls IV (and 3 other titles) on sale for $22 at Cicuit City this week (regularly $29.99).
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:07 pm

Call of Duty 4 is now officially on my xmas list. Dammit.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:27 pm

I'm not sure if I ever found out the answer to this question.
On the original Xbox, you couldn't upload MP3's into your Xbox's hardrive to use as a custom soundtrack - is this possible on the 360?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:12 pm

not exactly.

You can put in a regular CD and import the tracks.
or you can put in an MP3 cd and play the tracks off the disk (no import), which is fine to listen to while playing live arcade games, which often don't have a lot of orginal music...
You can also do some media center pc stuff and stream playlists off your pc.

I just have a 1GB thumb drive I load up with tracks and then plug into the USB port, so I can play disc and download games with a custom soundtrack. This comes in handy for games like Burnout when the poppunkemo selections get old quick, but I have a mountain of perfect car crash music in my own library.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:01 am

MadMind wrote:I'm not sure if I ever found out the answer to this question.
On the original Xbox, you couldn't upload MP3's into your Xbox's hardrive to use as a custom soundtrack - is this possible on the 360?

this is actually possible with a few games for the OG xbox. just wasnt supported by all of them. the only way to do it was by ripping audio cds onto the drive. importing MP3s was impossible.

though with mods, you can do sooo much with the OG xbox.

sorry to hijack, but the OG xbox is all i got to play on these days, so i had to chime in :)
paulie
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games