MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Nintendo Wii

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:18 pm

Houston, Wii have a problem.

Seems customers are discovering that Nintendoâ??s new Wii gaming console, which debuted last month and has a signature game controller that responds to usersâ?? body movements, may have an unintended side effect: game controllers flying around living rooms and smashing into lamps, windows, televisions and foreheads.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:26 am

Zelda: Wii or Cube?

What Gamespot Says;
"Graphically, the GameCube version is roughly identical to the Wii release. The main difference comes from a lack of 16:9 widescreen support, resulting in many of the story sequences being letterboxed when viewed in 4:3. However, the game does have 480p support. If you're properly equipped with a GameCube component cable and a TV capable of handling the higher resolution, you'll get a slightly cleaner image. The combat controls are more conventional on the GameCube, since you won't be shaking the controller around to attack (though if you've already played the Wii version, expect to feel dumb when you start to shake your WaveBird and wonder why nothing's happening), but the Wii controls actually end up feeling more precise in a direct comparison. It's easier and faster to aim your arrows, boomerang, or other targeted items using the Wii Remote. It's easier to move the camera around with the Wii Remote, too. While the GameCube controller is more precise when it comes to swinging your sword, the easier aiming and *faster access to the spin attack make the Wii version's combat controls superior, even though they have a few issues of their own.
Editor's note 12/15/06: The original version of this review overlooked an alternate method for performing the spin attack. GameSpot regrets the error.

Also, in what has to be the weirdest change, the entire GameCube game is a mirror image of the Wii version. Actually, it's probably the other way around--Nintendo flipped the Wii version so that Link would be holding his sword in his right hand, which is the hand you're supposed to use to hold the Wii Remote. Link's a lefty on the GameCube, and the entire world is flipped around, as well. If you've played the Wii version, that'll trip you up a bit, but considering that the most likely candidate for the GameCube version of the game is someone that didn't get a Wii, this isn't a problem in any way. You can't go wrong with either version of the game, but if you're still trying to decide, the Wii version is just a bit better."

What IGN Says;
Some gamers have resisted the Wii version of Twilight Princess because they feel that the new control scheme is unnecessary. The GameCube build of the title provides a more conventional alternative that feels very familiar to anybody who has played a Zelda entry before and incidentally as polished as ever. There are even a couple advantages to playing with a traditional controller over the Wii remote. For one, players who enjoyed titles like Wind Waker will understand immediately how to maneuver Link like a pro in Twilight Princess because the same fundamental controls still apply. The character is moved swiftly with the left analog stick and the right opens access to the camera - an option missed in the Wii incarnation. Swordplay is assigned to a button instead of gestures and is easily executed. Drawing and using Link's blade maybe quicker, especially where the spin attack is concerned, but that said the Wii build does facilitate a welcomed layer of immersion made possible by acting out sword slashes with gestures, and that is missed from the GCN build.

Where the GameCube build comes up short is the area of aiming, whether it's for the Hero's Bow or the Gale Boomerang. Now that we've played through the Wii version of Twilight Princess and experienced pinpoint targeting accuracy via the console's unique remote, it's difficult to go back to the archaic analog stick-based aiming mechanism that the GCN utilizes. Don't get us wrong because it still works just fine. However, in comparison to the Wii remote, it's slow-going and imprecise.

Twilight Princess happens to be a very pretty GCN effort. Although Nintendo's new console is roughly twice as powerful, the visual differences between the two versions of the game are minimal. While both incarnations support a progressive-scan mode, only the Wii build also features a 16:9 widescreen option. Meanwhile, some gamers have complained that the GCN title is riddled with more framerate slowdowns than the steady running Wii game, but we have not encountered these issues while playing.

As someone who has played both the GameCube and Wii versions of Twilight Princess, I can confidently state that I prefer the latter for its handful of extras, including what I consider to be enhanced controls and an exclusive 16:9 widescreen mode. That being said, though, I can certainly understand why purists might want to stick with the more conventional controls of the GCN build and as far as a traditional setup goes, Twilight Princess is definitely as good as it gets.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby QuestionIt » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:01 am

MadMind wrote:Zelda: Wii or Cube?

True Zelda fans will probably get both. I, for one, will (if I ever get a Wii).
QuestionIt

Postby guacamole » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:25 pm

Got to play a Wii (wow, that sounds wrong) while I was home over Christmas.

It is fucking FUN.

We did some tennis and boxing, then moved on to some of the Monkey Ball games. Those can be kind of hit-or-miss, but there are some really good ones. After playing darts I now understand how someone could put a wiimote through their TV.

A while back, the Penny Arcade guys mentioned that the Wii was the kind of console they could see coming out whenever they had a group of people together, and I absolutely agree with that, at least with the current games. The graphics are simple, yes, but damn, that's why I have my XBox. I don't think I get as much pleasure out of fragging my b/f in Doom deathmatches as I did out of hitting my friends with a hammer in Rock Paper Scissors.

Anyway, good times. The b/f will be buying one shortly, and I will never finish my damned thesis.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:11 am

Well well how about that little train who could?
Wii tops new console launches! Nintendo's upstart platform sells 1.1 million in 2006, versus 687,300 PS3s; both surpass the 607,000 Xbox 360s sold in 2005; 1.1 million 360s sold in December.

Not only that, but Bill Gates says; Nintendo is our "toughest" foe.
Microsoft chairman cites the "surprising" strength of the DS and Wii as the biggest challenge to Xbox 360 supremacy.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:57 am

MadMind wrote:Well well how about that little train who could?
Wii tops new console launches! Nintendo's upstart platform sells 1.1 million in 2006, versus 687,300 PS3s; both surpass the 607,000 Xbox 360s sold in 2005; 1.1 million 360s sold in December.

Not only that, but Bill Gates says; Nintendo is our "toughest" foe.
Microsoft chairman cites the "surprising" strength of the DS and Wii as the biggest challenge to Xbox 360 supremacy.

Xbox 360 won is what most analysts are saying. A year-old console sellling 1.1 million in ONE MONTH, vs. the BRAND NEW FANBOY-RIDDEN Wii selling the same amount is pretty clearly a win for Xbox 360. It's at least $100 more expensive too.

Wii is the toughest foe indeed.

I hear that now that eBay auctions on PS3 are not selling anymore (sub-retail if at all!), THOUSANDS of PS3 consoles are being returned to the stores, and they're now sitting on shelves. I REALLY wish I had preordered. I could have made some sick cash in that first 2 weeks. Ah well, better luck next time.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:22 am

Did anyone manage to get a Wii this Sunday with a number of the major retailers advertising that they had them in?

I got mine after standing in line at Best Buy for about two and a half hours Sunday morning.
Toxic Ned

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:42 pm

Toxic Ned wrote:Did anyone manage to get a Wii this Sunday with a number of the major retailers advertising that they had them in?

I got mine after standing in line at Best Buy for about two and a half hours Sunday morning.

My daughter has a birthday in March, so I'm waiting until then. Plus there are plenty of places selling them online.
www.techbargains.com
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:22 pm

I got one, thanks to a friend who stood in line on sunday. Now the hunt begins for wii-motes. Seems like those are harder to come by than wiis these days. The same place that had 80+ wiis only had 15 wiimotes. Best Buy had wiis yesterday but no wiimotes. Ugh...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:04 pm

There a couple thousand ebay auctions for new in box Wii systems, all selling right around the $300 mark.

Better than waiting in line, imo.

Wiimotes can be found there too. New, in box. Pay a few bucks and have one shipped and skip the gas money to track one down.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:06 pm

I got wiimotes shipped 2nd day from nintendo's store only 24 hours after placing the order, even though they are listed as back ordered. I'll pass on eBay. I morally object to paying $50 above retail for a wii too. I would rather not have one than pay some dweeb $50 so he can be an unofficial reseller.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:04 am

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:05 pm

I like how they had to change the phrase "Next-generation" to "New-generation" in order to compare the Wii with the other two powerhouses.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:42 pm

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:25 am

First TG-16 CD games for Wii's Virtual Console detailed

This is an interesting development and it raises some questions.
One of my favorite and most notable things to come out of the beginning of CD-based gaming was that of red book audio. Having CD-quality soundtracks with games also took up most of the space on the CD's, and would stream directly off the CD.
How will they work these soundtracks into the emulated versions? I just have a difficult time understanding how it will even be possible.

Some say the CD sound will be compressed to fit in the Wii's (tiny) 512mb memory, and to expect decreased sound quality. Another questioned whether they will use Mp3 compression technology.

One last thing - I am not alone in hoping TG-16 CD games will pave the way to make Sega CD games available on the Virtual Console.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games