MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Sony Playstation 3

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby MadMind » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:33 pm

Resistance: Fall Of Man
It's getting good reviews and I'm sure it's a great FPS. But I've seen enough of the game (on standard-def) to say it's less than I expected from next-gen.
It isn't worth paying $600 to play. If I had seen the game being reviewed and they said it was a PS2 or Xbox game I wouldn't have questioned it. And for me, thats a problem.
If I were to choose between Resistance and Gears of War, I'd go for Gears of War. Gears has been getting top notch ratings (higher than Resistance) although to me Gears of War is still not a system seller because of the fact that it's a relatively short game. And yes, to me that does factor into the overall value of a game.

Two things the Xbox 360 got right that PS3 did not;
1) The Xbox 360 is selling their HD-DVD counterpart seperately.
A big part of the PS3's high price point is because it is coupled with a Blu-Ray Player. Had the 360 been coupled with an HD-DVD player you can bet it'd retail for a near $600 as well.
As Blu-Ray players go, it's budget priced. But we don't yet know which will become the dominant format between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. One has to come out on top. The market cannot support more than one high-definition video format.
Sony should've given consumers a choice. Afterall I wouldn't be buying a PS3 to play Blu-Ray, I'd be buying it to use as a game console. Without the Blu-Ray player it could've maintained a price on par with the 360.
I didn't have a DVD player before I got a PS2, so that was a big bonus. Difference is DVD was already the dominant format when the PS2 was released.

2) The PS3 controllers are motion sensitive (six axis) but they've gotten rid of the rumble feature! The 360 controllers do not have motion sensitivity but they have the rumble feature.
I hear in most cases the motion sensitivity is used sparingly within the majority of PS3 games and that it really doesn't add much to the experience. Now, I suppose you could say the same about the rumble feature but, I like the rumble feature! I'm attatched to the rumble feature! I don't want to see it go.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Forgot about the no-rumble thing.

LAME indeed.

2 formats CAN live together. DVD +R and -R live together. Know why? You can get players that do BOTH. Not exactly the same thing, I know, but by next year plenty of players will do both. That means they'll both live.

HD-DVD is cheaper, with less capacity. Blu-Ray is more expensive, but as displays grow, the need for Blu-Ray solutions will increase. They think they can cram 100GB per Blu-Ray disc eventually. I think they'll both succeed. HD-DVD will be the low end version for TVs that can only do 1080p. Blu-Ray will support the next generation of display technology.

Gears of War is Unreal Engine 3.0. Gonna destroy R:FOM hands down.

Of course, when PC UE3 games start hitting the market in 2007, the Xbox360 vs. PS3 best-looking gaming platform contest will be over. PC will win again.

Wii's sold out too, and they had a lot more stock to ship. That I did not see coming.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:01 am

Beer Moon wrote:Of course, when PC UE3 games start hitting the market in 2007, the Xbox360 vs. PS3 best-looking gaming platform contest will be over. PC will win again.

Only if you drop $400-1000 on upgrading your rig to run it. You're going to have to drop at least $400 on a new gfx card.
I'm about to jump to a console only because I'm tired of doing just that every 18 months,
Rediculous.
Luckily many game design companies are helping speed that decision by turning out less and less inspired PC games.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:43 pm

jammybastard wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:Of course, when PC UE3 games start hitting the market in 2007, the Xbox360 vs. PS3 best-looking gaming platform contest will be over. PC will win again.

Only if you drop $400-1000 on upgrading your rig to run it. You're going to have to drop at least $400 on a new gfx card.
I'm about to jump to a console only because I'm tired of doing just that every 18 months,
Rediculous.
Luckily many game design companies are helping speed that decision by turning out less and less inspired PC games.

$400-1000 - you mean, like the price range of a PS3?

I usually kick around in the $300 price point for vid card upgrades once a year. The bonus being I usually get $100 for my old one from a friend or stranger online, and of course it's more powerful than anything any console has to offer.

As far as uninspired games go, have you seen the launch lists for the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360?

I hope you find those games inspiring, because you aren't going to get any help from the mod community - which doesn't exist for consoles.

To get back to PS3 news, there are now so many on eBay, that they're selling well under $1500. Guess you had to get in on Day 1 to get the $2000+ prices. Wonder what will happen around Christmas? Price will likely jump again I would think.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:21 pm

Talk about graphics/video cards/consoles. If the games suck they suck. Looking pretty won't help. That's why I still play the old school stuff.

FYI, for the record, Wii will rule over PS3.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:24 pm

Part of the reason Sony came out with the PS3 early, despite not having enough consoles to go around, was to work out any kinks that would inevitably be found shortly after the PS3's release. That way they could fix them before distributing any more. With this in mind, I wouldn't feel too bad if you wanted a PS3 and didn't get one. I'll admit, though, that this also may have teased a lot of would-be-consumers who may not be so forgiving.

Now that X-Box 360 is going to be offering HD-DVD, the PS3 is going to be having some serious competition. The Blu-ray Disc (BD-DVD) is clearly the superior format over HD-DVD, but technology and marketing are two separate issues.

I don't know if anyone mentioned that there's also a $500 PS3 in addition to the $600 version. One just has more hard drive space than the other. I think it's 20GB vs. 60GB.

My friend waited in line for a day and a half and bought a $500, 20GB PS3. I went to his house today and we played a little NBA '07 against each other and I played some of Tony Hawk's Project 8. My fried has a Hi-Def, big screen, DLP television. All I can say is that it was freakin' awesome, tons-o-fun! The wireless controllers that came with the system worked flawlessly and didn't miss a beat because the have bluetooth technology found in a lot of high end, wireless computer mice. We also watched Talladega Nights, which came bundled with the Playstation. The movie itself was just okay, but the picture quality was the best that I've ever seen, thanks in part to both the Blu-ray player and his awesome TV.

Console shortages & price aside, I give the PS3 a big thumb up because it looks great and plays even better for both games and movies. I've played the X-Box 360, which is pretty cool too, but the new Playstation really is the top of the line gaming console out right now. If you're a faithful Nintendo player, then have fun with the Wii, but I've heard it's only a little better than the game cube and that the only big difference is the new type of controller.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:36 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Forgot about the no-rumble thing.

I will not! Did you read the link?
Taking away the rumble feature is a fairly big deal to more than a few people. I'd rather have rumble in PS3 controllers than motion sensitivity. I don't wanna have to shake my controller around on anything more than one console, it's niche gaming.

What makes things even worse is the fact that PS2 controllers are not compatible on the PS3! Meaning you cannot play all your old PS2 and PSOne (games that used the rumble feature) the way they were meant to be played!
Last edited by MadMind on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:38 pm

MadMind wrote:Nolan Bushnell Criticizes Sony's PS3 Strategy
Nolan Bushnell says;
"I think Sony shot themselves in the foot... there is a high probability [they] will fail. The price point is probably unsustainable. For years and years Sony has been a very difficult company to deal with from a developer standpoint. They could get away with their arrogance and capriciousness because they had an installed base. They have also historically had horrible software tools. You compare that to the Xbox 360 with really great authoring tools [and] additional revenue streams from Xbox live...a first party developer would be an idiot to develop for Sony first and not the 360. People don't buy hardware, they buy software."

Another scathing review;
New York Times not impressed with PS3
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:43 pm

MadMind wrote:
jammybastard wrote:No doubt the PS3 will have issues as well, and I'd rather someone else sort that out on their dime and not on mine.

Speaking of which...
PS3 backward compatibility marred.
Sony's PlayStation 3 is encountering problems playing approximately 200 PlayStation, PlayStation 2 games.

Here's the latest on this issue;
PS3 backward-compatibility database online
Check to see if your old PSOne and PS2 games are fully backwards compatible on your PS3 here;
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:43 pm

CNET did a review of the PS3 on November 13. They gave it 8.8 out of 10, which puts it in their "Excellent" category. CNET does a ton of reviews on products and doesn't give high reviews like that very often, so PS3 must have some good things going for it.

If you'd like to check out the written & video review yourself, here's the link: http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PlayStation_3_60GB/4505-6464_7-31355103.html
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:03 pm

Slick Willy wrote:CNET did a review of the PS3 on November 13. They gave it 8.8 out of 10, which puts it in their "Excellent" category. CNET does a ton of reviews on products and doesn't give high reviews like that very often, so PS3 must have some good things going for it.

If you'd like to check out the written & video review yourself, here's the link: http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PlayStation_3_60GB/4505-6464_7-31355103.html

Thanks for the link. It is a good article but it actually revealed more downfalls of the PS3 than I had previously known.

"If we had one complaint with the PS3, it was that it doesn't upscale standard DVDs to HD resolutions, a feature that's standard on other Blu-ray and HD-DVD players. Instead, they default to 480p (progressive-scan)."

That's a big downfall. Something so advanced and pricey should've included this feature.

"While the PS3 even plays Sony's increasingly obscure SACD discs, it cannot play back music from attached iPods, nor can it stream from other music players that incorporate copy-protected music formats. Here, the 360 has a leg-up: it offers some iPod compatibility, and it can play back WMA music files as well."

It's cool that the PS3 can play SACD's, but it all honesty that should've been something that the PS2 should've been equipped to do. Like the article says they are becoming increasingly obscure. I don't even know if Best Buy carries them in-store any longer. I remember when SACD and DVD-A were first released they had a special area in the audio section displaying the new formats.

"You can't connect PS2 controllers to the PS3 because the new console lacks the older controller port."

No rumble for your old PS2 and PSOne games. You are banned from playing them the way they were meant to be played.

"Likewise, games that utilize any unique accessories that must plug into the PS2-style control port--such as Guitar Hero's mighty ax--won't work on the PS3. But USB accessories--such as the EyeToy--should be good to go."

Guitar Hero II is one of PS2's hottest games this holiday season.

One must "invest $15 in a special card reader so you can transfer games from your PS2 memory cards to the PS3's hard drive."

The PS2 accepted PSOne memory cards without any special card readers.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:05 pm

MadMind wrote:
Slick Willy wrote:CNET did a review of the PS3 on November 13. They gave it 8.8 out of 10, which puts it in their "Excellent" category. CNET does a ton of reviews on products and doesn't give high reviews like that very often, so PS3 must have some good things going for it.

Thanks for the link. It is a good article but it actually revealed more downfalls of the PS3 than I had previously known.

"If we had one complaint with the PS3, it was that it doesn't upscale standard DVDs to HD resolutions, a feature that's standard on other Blu-ray and HD-DVD players. Instead, they default to 480p (progressive-scan)."

That's a big downfall. Something so advanced and pricey should've included this feature.

"While the PS3 even plays Sony's increasingly obscure SACD discs, it cannot play back music from attached iPods, nor can it stream from other music players that incorporate copy-protected music formats. Here, the 360 has a leg-up: it offers some iPod compatibility, and it can play back WMA music files as well."

It's cool that the PS3 can play SACD's, but it all honesty that should've been something that the PS2 should've been equipped to do. Like the article says they are becoming increasingly obscure. I don't even know if Best Buy carries them in-store any longer. I remember when SACD and DVD-A were first released they had a special area in the audio section displaying the new formats.

"You can't connect PS2 controllers to the PS3 because the new console lacks the older controller port."

No rumble for your old PS2 and PSOne games. You are banned from playing them the way they were meant to be played.

"Likewise, games that utilize any unique accessories that must plug into the PS2-style control port--such as Guitar Hero's mighty ax--won't work on the PS3. But USB accessories--such as the EyeToy--should be good to go."

Guitar Hero II is one of PS2's hottest games this holiday season.

One must "invest $15 in a special card reader so you can transfer games from your PS2 memory cards to the PS3's hard drive."

The PS2 accepted PSOne memory cards without any special card readers.

Well, that's why it got 8.8 out of 10 and not 10 out of 10. Like CNET's reviewer said, though, "at the end of the day, what people are really are interested in buying the system for is the game play," which I agree with.

As far as your saying it's so pricy that it should upscale DVDs beyond 480P, it's the cheapest Blu-ray Disc player on the market costing half or less of what current players cost, so even though it would be nice if it upscaled to HD, you're still getting a lot for $500 - $600.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:54 pm

Slick Willy wrote:As far as your saying it's so pricy that it should upscale DVDs beyond 480P, it's the cheapest Blu-ray Disc player on the market costing half or less of what current players cost, so even though it would be nice if it upscaled to HD, you're still getting a lot for $500 - $600.

I hear what you're saying, I mean the Xbox 360 has no HDMI port so you're not quite getting all you can get out of their HD-DVD player. It's just that, when I got my PS2 I used it as my defacto DVD and CD player. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players are too expensive to consider purchasing another to make up for the PS3 and Xbox 360 players' shortcomings.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 pm

MadMind wrote:
Slick Willy wrote:As far as your saying it's so pricy that it should upscale DVDs beyond 480P, it's the cheapest Blu-ray Disc player on the market costing half or less of what current players cost, so even though it would be nice if it upscaled to HD, you're still getting a lot for $500 - $600.

I hear what you're saying, I mean the Xbox 360 has no HDMI port so you not quite getting all you can get out of their HD-DVD player. It's just that, when I got my PS2 I used it as my defacto DVD and CD player. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players are too expensive to consider purchasing another to make up for the PS3 and Xbox 360 players shortcomings.

Yeah but I can plug the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player directly into my computer to use it, and my computer DOES have an HDMI port.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Sony Computer Entertainment America President and CEO Kaz Hirai spoke with PodTech's Matt Kelly in November about PS3's role in the future of home entertainment. I found it to be a very interesting & informative interview.

http://media.podtech.net/media/2006/11/PID_001387/Podtech_SonyKaz.mp3

I read this somewhere else:

"Kaz Hirai announced that after the initial launch, 600,000 additional PS3 units will be slowly leaked out to resellers throughout the end of 2006."
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games