MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What are you playing now?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:37 pm

BTW, Glidos is a hell of a tool, I tried the freebies and they just didn't cut it. Load up your dusty old copy of Tombraider 1 and execute it through the Glidos demo. Everything is still blocky (of course), but the resolution and colors look great and all of the original music is restored. Pretty impressive.

http://www.glidos.net/
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MLE » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:13 pm

WoW, WoW and, um, WoW. FTW!
MLE
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:35 pm

Just got PES6...for those not into footy games, it's Konami's long running series "Pro Evolution Soccer".

In the past hardcore soccer fans have felt it's the best, most realistic game especially compared to EA's FIFA series.
Last year that was the case, but this year EA re-built FIFA's game engine, and made it a far better game. They've also borrowed the PES control scheme as well as many of it's attributes.

Having only played a couple of matches I have to agree with many that that FIFA07 is the better game.

Just an interesting aside.
This is the first time I've ordered a PC game from the UK. The reason being that Konami doesn't sell this game here. They sell a spin-off of it called "Winning Eleven International" which usually hits out market 6-8 months after the PES release.
So I ordered a new copy from a UK based seller on Ebay, who has no hangups about potential violations of territorial copyrights.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:12 pm

Starting tomorrow (or today if I can actually finangle it away from Best Buy due to them saying it's currently available on their site), my gaming days are lining up to involve only one game for the next few weeks...

Final Fantasy XII

Yes, I played the demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII. Yes, I saw the comic from Penny Arcadethat mentioned how the Gambit system is like the game is masturbating. But I am still willing to give it a shot. I look forward to seeing how this fits into the world of Ivalice that was already created in Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance.
Toxic Ned

Postby Toxic Ned » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:57 am

Well, I managed to pick it up last night. Huzzah for BestBuy.com telling me that it was ready for me to pick up after buying it online.

I've only played about thirty minutes worth, but so far it's starting off pretty nicely. The story is pretty interesting and pulls you in. The voice acting isn't horrendous. The graphics are pretty damned nice. Character and building designs do a good job of linking it to the two Final Fantasy Tactics games. The controls aren't too bad, with my only major gripe being the camera controls, but that's still not too bad. The combat system is interesting to say the least, but since you're still able to act and move about in combat, it's got a feel of Vagrant Story in it and I've been sorely tempted to keep mashing the various buttons in order to pull off a disgustingly high combo.

Now to just get through the workday so I can get home and resume playing.
Toxic Ned

Postby Atty25 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:05 pm

Damn you! I ordered mine online and had it shipped since I figured I'd never get a store copy (I always seem to get there just after they've sold the last one). So now I have to wait until I get home tonight.

I've been waiting for this for MONTHS! I'm even taking 2 vacation days this week to play. (Sad, I know)
Atty25
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm

Neverwinter Nights 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Rules.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:30 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Neverwinter Nights 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Rules.

I'm pretty mixed on this game. Too many cutscenes, camera angles are annoying, despite options, graphics are OK, but I would have expected better.

Can I bash locks? Maybe I should read the manual.

Maybe it'll get better as I progress, but at the moment it's kind of slow and boring and the storyline is a bit canned.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:22 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:Neverwinter Nights 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Rules.

I'm pretty mixed on this game. Too many cutscenes, camera angles are annoying, despite options, graphics are OK, but I would have expected better.

Can I bash locks? Maybe I should read the manual.

Maybe it'll get better as I progress, but at the moment it's kind of slow and boring and the storyline is a bit canned.

Yes you can bash locks. You run the risk of breaking items inside if you bash though. HIGH risk. Get someone with lock skills ASAP.

This is from the same team who did KOTOR II, so it has a lot of similarity in flow as far as cutscenes go. I would agree that I am happiest when mindlessley cutting my way through waves of evil minions. The story opens up a bit once you get into it a bit. I am a big fan of sidequests and companion quests, and I've managed to get 2/3 through one of them already. Side quests in the original were good, but very formulaic. Even just the one I have done so far is more varied - but very talky, that's for sure.

On the other hand, I do like that they provide ample opportunity to actively modify your alignment. I loved it in KOTOR, and adding 3.5 rules on top of all that is even cooler imo. In fact, they have warned me already that I will no longer be able to advance as a Bard (9 now) if I continue to always follow the Lawful path. I chose Chaotic Good, and I've been WAY too Lawful. Going to need to start taking care of #1 more often and get grabby with some loot. Long as nobody gets hurt... Well, not too badly... Unless they have it coming, of course!

Alignment in computer D&D games usually just limits you to certain options; I like that they allow you to actively modify it. For me it adds some depth to gameplay, which is already pretty deep with the character development in the 3.5 ruleset. I find that I'm spending as much time in game speculating and scrutinizing stats as I would have sitting around rolling up stats or planning feats and spells. I have always liked that part of RPGs.

Camera angles are crap in some cutscenes, but the voice work is top notch. I'm loving the graphics too. Haven't even touched the toolset yet; I am guessing that is where most people will spend their playtime if the community is even half as strong as the orginal NWN modding/module-building community was. The tool certainly sounds more powerful this time. I think the DM client allows you to modify certain aspects of an adventure DURING an online game. Sounds neato!!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Toxic Ned wrote:Final Fantasy XII

Wow, a whole village of scantily clad, thong wearing bunnies.

I can't stop playing this game.

I'll show Fran some Mist.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby Toxic Ned » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:08 am

I got pulled away from FF XII a few weeks ago due to general craziness at work and the social life. But now, with Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin out as of last Wednesday, that's been played quite a bit. I'm a big Castlevania fan, and this hasn't disappointed me at all.
Toxic Ned

Postby Scooterboy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. And Jedi Outcast.

I play JA online, within a worldwide community of Jedi. We field a team in the ESL. I don't compete as I don't have the skillz for that level of competition. I mostly duel for fun, and attend classes.

Jedi Outcast I still play once in a while. It's still one of the best Single Player shooters and action games ever, IMHO. I like that these games were made right here in Madison, by the good people at Raven Software.

Newer games haven't interested me, except maybe the Halo franchise, but I've no console or TV.
Scooterboy

Postby jammybastard » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 am

Need for Speed Carbon
Medieval II Total War
Play Snoopy vs. The Red Baron
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:20 pm

Scooterboy wrote:Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. And Jedi Outcast.

I play JA online, within a worldwide community of Jedi. We field a team in the ESL. I don't compete as I don't have the skillz for that level of competition. I mostly duel for fun, and attend classes.

Jedi Outcast I still play once in a while. It's still one of the best Single Player shooters and action games ever, IMHO. I like that these games were made right here in Madison, by the good people at Raven Software.

Newer games haven't interested me, except maybe the Halo franchise, but I've no console or TV.

Still have my old copy of JO on Gamecube. Last I checked it was going for $50+ on ebay. Considering I picked up mine for next to nothing. :) Almost tempted to sell, almost....
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby el guante » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:46 pm

mortal kombat armageddon. every MK character ever in one game.

and i created myself in the "kreate-a-fighter" option. looks just like me. it's kind of creepy. black hoodie, cargo pants, black bandana, goatee. and a broadsword.

great game.
el guante
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games