MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

What are you playing now?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:03 am

lardheppus wrote:
Bunny Chow wrote:
Lardheppus, I'm thinking about going to Woodman's today....and as for gaming, my kids are trying to get me to play Runescape. Just registered my username yesterday.

I thought you were banned from Woodman's after the asparagus incident. :shock:

I haven't tried Runescape. If I do try another RPG, it'll probably be Progress Quest. Progress Quest promises to eliminate all the drudgery of doing the same run over and over for experience, gold and items. It's sure to revolutionize the RPG industry.

My nephew got me started playing Runescape a couple of years ago and I'm not sure I'll ever forgive him. They recently updated the graphics and you can now play in full screen, which looks much better, but rs is still a game of drudgery... you're rewarded for being bored, essentially. Repetitive play to earn money or levels and literally hundreds of hours just to max out a single skill. Embarrassingly, I have three skill capes and a quest cape.

On the plus side, rs offers a multitude of skills to train, each one taking something just sort of forever to max out. There are no classes in Runescape, so if you get bored of ranging, you can fight with melee or magic anytime you want. And, if you choose not to fight at all, that's ok too. You can try your hand at farming, or herblore (making potions), thieving, fishing, cooking, woodcutting, fletching and many more.

It's addictive, but it rarely wows you (no pun intended).
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 am

Got Madden. Haven't had a Madden game since like 2002. I was a die hard 2K Sports fan. Anyways I suck. It's really depressing. My Mastery of NFL 2K5 provides me with nothing in Madden '09. Good times hopefully I can get the hang of it. It looks fantastic on PS3. Also like the Superstar modes and adaptive difficulty level.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:28 pm

I noticed there are some creeps on Runescape. Some perv was asking my kid where he lived.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 pm

A good reason why kids should never play online unattended.

Runescape is a good free game to satisfy a young MMO player on a budget, but easy entry means its more dangerous than the subscription based (and therfor, easily trackable) WoW or Xbox Live games.

Oh boy, I can't wait until I have kids and have to put up with explaining why I can play a game and he can't...
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Shipley wrote:Runescape is a good free game to satisfy a young MMO player on a budget, but easy entry means its more dangerous than the subscription based (and therfor, easily trackable) WoW or Xbox Live games.

Runescape isn't free, it's just cheap. You can play for free if you want, but your world is much, much smaller and you have far fewer skills that you can train. Oh, and the free worlds are teeming with annoying kids.

To become a member you have to pay $7/month. That just recently increased from $5/month, but if you already had a membership, you get the lower rate as long as it's active.

As for issues like child predators, Jagex has an easy to use report system that simply saves the previous 60 seconds of chat when you report a fellow player. One of the many rules is that you are not allowed to ask personal questions of other players such as where they live or how old they are. And yes, they're serious about it... most commonly players are "muted" for periods of times including permanently. You can play the game all you want, but you can't type anything once you're muted.

You should check out the updated Runescape. It doesn't look as good as WOW, but it looks a lot better than it used to and it's a cheaper and safer alternative to games like WOW (for kids).
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:08 pm

I spend so much time playing games I've actively avoided MMOs for fear that they'll A) cut into the mountain of console games I already play or worse B) take up more time than I already spend on games.

As someone with a renewed interest in Star Trek, the reveal of Star Trek Online sends a shiver down my spine, fearing I may get into it and never look back.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Beyond Good and Evil
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 am

Spore.

Finally progressed past the kiddie-pool stages to the final stage: Space - which is actually a complete RTS.

With no auto-saves, a crash lost me a good 2 hours of play the other day - during which I had begun to advance very quickly through the game. I haven't gone back yet because I'm so upset - but at least it will be easy to regain the lost effort.

Through the years, many have wondered why any aliens would travel all the way across the universe only to come here and abduct people and probe them. Now I know why: because it's fun!!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:01 pm

uwstudent wrote:Beyond Good and Evil

You're probably already realizing this is one of the more underrated cult games of last gen, and when you're done you'll want more. Ubisoft teased a sequel a few months ago, but no word other than short video with Pey'j. Michel Ancel said they've been working on it for a few years now so it may be out by next holiday.

I played Castle Crashers on Xbox Live Arcade and its insane multiplayer fun, but wouldn't reccomend playing past the demo until the patch comes down to fix online play and keep game saves. I haven't had a problem with a disappearing save yet, but many I know have. Its an old school brawler like the old TMNT arcade games, but hand drawn from the team that did Alien Hominid. Worth playing for the eye popping animation alone.

Also: still playing Geometry Wars 2, and yet to meet anyone who can best me. Seriously. I was ranked 326 on the worldwide board last week, and upped my score another 12 million today...
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:47 am

Armed and Dangerous

Underappreciated little game.
Damn flying sheep.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:56 am

Rock Band 2 - Same verse, better than the first.

Burnout Paradise - Motorcycles manage to be even faster than the already unrealisticly fast muscle cars in the game. An amazing game and a crime to skip it.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:59 am

Yeah I just popped that in the other day and got the motorcycle update. Now if only I could smash other cyclist with say a crow bar or a chain. Then we'd be on to something.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:33 am

I was just saying the other day that EA owns Criterion games and they own the Road Rash franchise and they really need to put the two together. A real hardcore, blood & guts, M rated Road Rash
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:43 am

It was a great series back in the day. I think in my tween years I spent many nights playing Road Rash on the Genesis til the wee hours. I also wouldn't mind a comeback of the Desert Strike, Jungle Strike etc games. Keep the 3rd person Helicopter format just update the weapons and environments.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:15 pm

Prey. $7.99 used bin.

LOVE it. It's weaning me off my Force Unleashed disappointment.

28 days to Fallout 3!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games