MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Let The Hi-Def Format War Begin! (Blu-ray Disc vs. HD-DVD)

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 pm

Beer Moon wrote:You're the one posting stats from the same companies who sell the devices, not me. I'm trying to quote unbiased sources.

The blu-ray.com Web site is not affiliated with the Blu-ray Disc Association and therefore operates independently from the "companies who sell the devices." The official Web site of the BDA is blu-raydisc.com. You're not the only one who has been confused by this, but it nonetheless discredits your argument quite a bit. Although it's an unofficial website, of course it's going to be biased, but they don't falsify information. They're just eager to report good news for Blu-ray ASAP. Since I know this won't be sufficient proof for you, here are three completely separate, unbiased websites showing how Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD everywhere in all possible ways:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/01/blura ... d_nielsen/
http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/
http://www.dvdempire.com/index.asp?user ... media_id=0

Beer Moon wrote:I'm only arguing with your flawed "points", if they can even be called that (PS2 outsold next-gen consoles - who cares).

LMAO - "who cares"? That was a quote from an article for which YOU provided a link, remember? You were trying to say the article showed how poorly PS3's were selling, when we all know the main reason they didn't sell better for Xmas 2006 wasn't for a lack of demand, but rather a lack of product. The quote I gave from that article essentially showed how those who couldn't get the PS3 were busy buying up PS2's, which means that there's still plenty of demand for PlayStation products.

Beer Moon wrote:I'm not the one claiming a console is signaling the HD format war.

ONCE AGAIN, NEITHER AM I!!

It doesn't bother me when someone here disagrees with my stance on something, because I participate in forums to hear different points of view. For example, MadMind seems to be in favor of HD-DVD, so he gives links to articles that clearly represent his position and he makes quotes that represent the article's actual intentions, and I respect that. He doesn't choose quotations that are deliberately misleading like you did with saying that "nobody is really dying to buy a PS3" and leaving it at that as if the general public doesn't want to buy a PS3, when what the article was actually saying is that nobody has literally died trying to acquire a PS3. Things like that bother me, and you do things like that a lot. Beer Moon, you make straw-man arguments with no substance or relevance to back them up, which is surprising coming from a member who has as many posts as you do in this forum.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Thu May 17, 2007 2:45 am

One thing that concerns me, as exhibited on the following threads Movies You Want To See Released Onto DVD, is that it's taken this long and then some for material (that has been previously available on VHS) to be put onto DVD.

Now I realize that HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is a different situation than the upgrade from VHS-to-DVD since HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is backwards compatible. And many players can now upscale regular old DVD's to near HD resolutions.

But the question still remains, what previously-released material will the movie/distribution companies decide to format & release on HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray?
As much as they possibly can? Or will it be as they've done thus far, new releases with some hand-picked previously-released films thrown into the mix?
Last edited by MadMind on Fri May 18, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Fri May 18, 2007 10:58 am

from the "older tv shows and VHS movies" perspective, there really wouldn't be a point to releasing that stuff on HD medium, since with those, you're limited by the low quality of the source material. the ol' "you can't polish a turd" saying applies here. Though perhaps you could jam way more episodes/bonus features onto one disc?

i'd be curious to find out if there was(will be?) a certain point in time where most everyone switched to using HD compatible stuff to actually film with. or maybe that hasn't happened yet aside from the big network TV stations? i know some of the more popular cable networks shoot in HD now.. will everyone follow suit eventually?
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Sat May 19, 2007 4:38 am

paulie wrote:from the "older tv shows and VHS movies" perspective, there really wouldn't be a point to releasing that stuff on HD medium, since with those, you're limited by the low quality of the source material.

Good point. So older Television series wouldn't benefit from being released as HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray. Although since newer TV shows are being broadcast in HD like you pointed out, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray TV show bundles have already begun to show up on store shelves.

My argument however is entirely applicable to films. They've already dug back pretty far to re-release films on HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. For example older releases either on HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, or both formats, include such films as;

1938's The Adventures Of Robin Hood
1956's Forbidden Planet, The Searchers (John Wayne)
1959's Rio Bravo (John Wayne)
1960's Spartacus
1962's Mutiny On The Bounty
1966's Grand Prix
1967's The Dirty Dozen
1968's Bullitt (Steve McQueen)
1972's The Cowboys (John Wayne), The Getaway (Steve McQueen)
1973's Enter The Dragon
1974's Blazing Saddles
1975's Dog Day Afternoon
1976's Rocky
1977's Smokey And The Bandit
1978's Superman, Animal House
1979's Meatballs, The Jerk, The Warriors
1980's Caddyshack
1981's The Road Warrior, Excalibur, An American Werewolf In London, Superman II
1982's The Thing, Fast Times At Ridgemont High
1983's A Christmas Story
1984's Terminator, Streets Of Fire, Dune, The River
1985's The Breakfast Club

So how far back and how thoroughly will they reach?
What source material doesn't constitute as being good enough to really make a difference in HD?
I'm sure I don't speak alone when I say that when I finally do decide to make the jump to HD, I don't want to re-buy my DVD collection in HD or Blu-Ray to get the most out of the new HD setup.
Progress is a bitch.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu May 24, 2007 8:47 am

Latest PS3 firmware patch introduced 1080p upscaling, and media streaming (for a few unpopular formats like WMV).

If $300 is your entry-price for HD-DVD, then head to Best Buy (or your favorite brick-and-morter price gougers) before June 9th. $100 off the $400 player, and 5 "free" HD-DVD movies. "Free" if you were going to blow $300 on an HD-DVD player anyway... Anyway, not a bad way to enter.

Of course, my threshold is $200, but we're getting there!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Blu-ray Price Drops Announced

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:39 pm

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/blu-ray-price-drops-ps3.html

Sony Corp. announced this week that it has finally unlocked some key manufacturing techniques and processes that will allow it to manufacture Blu-ray Disc players less expensively. The significant drop in pricing is expected to be about $100 (retail) almost across the board. This includes the PS3.

Read more from the link above.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:02 am

The movie 300 has become the fastest and highest-selling high-definition disc ever.

I watched 300 the other night on (widescreen) DVD.
I thought the quality was rather poor and looked grainy.
I thought to myself, maybe this was the way they shot the movie? So just to double check I went to Amazon and found similar complaints speaking of the poor quality of the film transfer onto DVD.
Aside from the look of it, they skimped on the extras on the regular DVD. There's only commentary while they have featurettes and deleted scenes and the like on the high-def discs.

Was this an underhanded way of pushing sales of 300 on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?

...I've since discovered complaints on amazon under the hi-def discs attributing the grainy look of the film simply to the way it was filmed, and realized that all the extras found on the hi-def discs are present on the 2-disc special edition DVD.
So my conspiracy theory is sunk.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:56 am

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:33 am

It's only for 18 months, so no worries for the blue camp.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:35 am

MadMind wrote:The movie 300 has become the fastest and highest-selling high-definition disc ever.

I watched 300 the other night on (widescreen) DVD.
I thought the quality was rather poor and looked grainy.
I thought to myself, maybe this was the way they shot the movie? So just to double check I went to Amazon and found similar complaints speaking of the poor quality of the film transfer onto DVD.
Aside from the look of it, they skimped on the extras on the regular DVD. There's only commentary while they have featurettes and deleted scenes and the like on the high-def discs.

Was this an underhanded way of pushing sales of 300 on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?

...I've since discovered complaints on amazon under the hi-def discs attributing the grainy look of the film simply to the way it was filmed, and realized that all the extras found on the hi-def discs are present on the 2-disc special edition DVD.
So my conspiracy theory is sunk.

It looks sick on HD-DVD. I got sucked in finally by a Circuit City deal for an HD-A20 for $250 plus the 5 free movies. Not a great selection, but good enough to get me on board.

In a couple years I'll probably move to a dual-format player once they come down in price.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Toshiba Defiant After Warner Decision to Drop HD DVD in Favor of Blu-Ray
I'm fed up with the whole HD disc war, it's all such a disservice to consumers.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:15 pm

MadMind wrote:
paulie wrote:from the "older tv shows and VHS movies" perspective, there really wouldn't be a point to releasing that stuff on HD medium, since with those, you're limited by the low quality of the source material.

Good point. So older Television series wouldn't benefit from being released as HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray.

It depends on how they were shot and what materials are still around.

Plenty of old TV was shot on film.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:51 am

Recent development: Warner Brothers announced today that they would be moving their titles from HD-DVD to the Blu-Ray format. Many have suggested that this marks the end of the next generation DVD battle, though two major studios continue to have exclusive HD-DVD distribution deals in place.

Warner Brother's defection, however, places the majority of movie releases on Blu-Ray.

Article has a pie chart of Blue-Ray vs. HD-DVD: http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/04/hd- ... o-blu-ray/
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 am

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Man fugg Blu-Ray. HD-DVD is the natural next step in the evolution of DVD.
Warner said its decision to drop HD DVD was based on consumers' preference for Blu-ray.
...and that consumers are gullable, and buy into the fact that something is more technologically advanced just because it costs more :x
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games