MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Let The Hi-Def Format War Begin! (Blu-ray Disc vs. HD-DVD)

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:49 pm

MadMind wrote:Man fugg Blu-Ray. HD-DVD is the natural next step in the evolution of DVD.
Warner said its decision to drop HD DVD was based on consumers' preference for Blu-ray.
...and that consumers are gullable, and buy into the fact that something is more technologically advanced just because it costs more :x

Money talks loudest and gets heard first. If that's the way the format conflict gets solved, cool.

If Toshiba thinks they have the best format, and truly has the consumers' best interests at heart, then they'll come to Sony and ask "how can we work together to put the best product out there?"

Of course, they could have done that from the beginning, but chose instead to be even more strident than Sony usually is.

Sorry, MadMind, but your kind of technophilia always comes off as condescending, but no more so than when the market has spoken and the 'philes still bang away at the "I know better" drum.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:35 pm

Why would sony listen to toshiba if they believed they would win the war? Listening to them means potentially having to give up royalties on every disc sold. I am not following...

As for the "war", blu-ray winning would be a disservice to consumers because of the policies and practices of blu-ray player and disc makers. The players are too expensive... the only realistic option right now is the PS3, which is the best blu-ray player for the price by a wide margin. Maybe that will change, but not for a while. Less incentive to get them down in price if there's no format competition.

The discs have a ridiculous number of commercials and many/most players cannot skip them all at once, you have to skip each of them individually. Plus you can't play import blu-ray discs at the moment.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:53 pm

MadMind wrote:Man fugg Blu-Ray. HD-DVD is the natural next step in the evolution of DVD.
Warner said its decision to drop HD DVD was based on consumers' preference for Blu-ray.
...and that consumers are gullable, and buy into the fact that something is more technologically advanced just because it costs more :x

Yep...A total PITA. The kicker is that, they are both fundamentally the same...Both using a blue laser @ ~450nm. The big fight is mainly over BD-J or HDi platforms. and the Blu Ray supposedly has a more robust laser carrier adding to the cost, but in a consumer product, is it even necessary? Once they iron out the platform BS...Prices will drop quickly.
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:54 pm

TAsunder wrote:Why would sony listen to toshiba if they believed they would win the war? Listening to them means potentially having to give up royalties on every disc sold. I am not following...

I didn't say Sony would necessarily listen, but it would be smart if they did.

Toshiba would hold the martyr card, sacrificing sole ownership of the "winning" standard in favor of potentially income-injurious "fighting the good fight." They'd be the big-company representative for all the consumers who, like you, are bound to have complaints against Blu-Ray. Good will almost always equals financial gain.

From the other side, if Sony said "thanks, but fuck off," they'd be the uncaring giant, turning a deaf ear (ahem) to the wants/needs of the consumers. While Sony has always been able to weather that storm fairly well, it might not go so well when we're talking about a full format conversion (see: beta).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:08 pm

mcs_madison wrote:Yep...A total PITA. The kicker is that, they are both fundamentally the same...Both using a blue laser @ ~450nm. The big fight is mainly over BD-J or HDi platforms. and the Blu Ray supposedly has a more robust laser carrier adding to the cost, but in a consumer product, is it even necessary? Once they iron out the platform BS...Prices will drop quickly.

While they both use the same laser, the track pitch and aperture are different. If it were just BD-J vs HDi we'd have seen dual format players a lot sooner. Plus it would mean we might be able to update the firmware on an HD DVD player to play Blu-Ray, which is unfortunately not the case.

I don't see prices dropping any time soon. Maybe for some of the lower end players. But the disc prices are probably as low as they are going to get for a while. You can easily procure them for $18-25.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:21 pm

I've been in the video game format wars for too long to be amused by the movie format wars.

The best thing for consumers is clearly ONE FORMAT that I can just walk into a store and buy. less than 300K HD-DVD drives have been sold for Xbox 360, and there are over 6 Million PS3s in the wild. I'm sorry, but that says it all, right there. Blu wins.

I've owned an HD set for 4 years now and have been resistant to adopt any new format until the smoke clears and I'm sure I don't have to just buy another player. I want movies and brands to compete for my money, not formats.

And when the format wars calm down and adoption goes up, movie prices will go down. I bought Ghostbusters on DVD in 1999, the day it came out, for $30. you can now get it for $5 at Walmart. This will happen to all the hidef movies in the next couple years.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Shipley wrote:And when the format wars calm down and adoption goes up, movie prices will go down. I bought Ghostbusters on DVD in 1999, the day it came out, for $30. you can now get it for $5 at Walmart. This will happen to all the hidef movies in the next couple years.

Yeah but new releases still cost $20+ on DVD. You can get some older HD DVDs and Blu-ray titles for $12-15 too.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:47 pm

There is still some savings, and the movies I haven't bought yet on hidef will be budget priced by the time I get one.

Also, the used market will get bigger as well as selection in rental stores. I expect to pay a little more just because of inflation, but thats it.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 am

HD TVs won't hit market saturation until this year, which is about 30%.

HD DVD players - be they HD-DVD or Royalty-Ray, are nowhere near any of that crap.

Too bad the fuckface studios are taking sides instead of letting the market decide. I guess none of them want to pay to manufacture both. Can't really blame them for that.

I'm more pissed at Warner for dropping the dual-sided discs that could have let both formats continue for the foreseeable future so the consumers could decide which format player they wanted to purchase.

I figured it was a no-brainer for customers since they both have the exact same quality in audio and video, and HD-DVD players were cheaper, and their discs were cheaper due to Sony's royalty fees.

Oh well. It only cost me about $200 bucks.

It does suck that those shitty PS3s all got Royalty-Ray players subsidized by Sony to jump start their market share. More HD-DVD players have sold as standalone than Blu-Ray by a long shot. Without PS3, Blu-Ray was dead in the water. Sony does plan to go profitable with PS3.... by 2009.

Fuck Sony.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:52 am

PS2 helped with adoption of DVD in the first place, so this move wasn't unseen.

I would prefer to get one of the dual-format players. I was sure thats what most people would want too, but maybe I'm wrong...
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:58 am

Beer Moon...PS3s count as "the market." You can't exclude them just because they were most often purchased as game players rather than movie players. If someone with a PS3 can watch Blu-Ray and not HD, then there's your market speaking.

If Xbox had done it with HD-DVD, you'd be praising MS and Toshiba's foresight.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:09 am

If anything, Sony's partners in Blu Ray should be furious since they had $700 players on the market and then Sony came in with a PS3 that had several price drops in a single year. Contrary to popular opinion, Blu Ray is owned and developed by Matsushita, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, and Sony
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Support grows for Sony's Blu-ray high-def DVDs
Best Buy and Netflix separately announced plans to promote Sony's Blu-ray format over Toshiba's HD DVD.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:37 pm

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:42 pm

the xbox hd-dvd add on is knocked down to $130 now, and theres rumors Toshiba will be raising the white flag sometime in the next month.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games