MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

HDTV

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

HDTV

Postby MadMind » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:44 am

Reportedly one of the hottest items this christmas is HDTV's. Best Buy has even restructured and dedicated a larger portion of their store(s) to display them.

My complaint about HDTV? Too many choices.

With flat-panels there is either LCD or Plasma.
Then in rear-projection there is DLP, LCD, or LCoS.
Or if you want to go as large as possible there is DLP or LCD front-projection TVs.

One thing in common with all formats is that they all have their positive attributes and their drawbacks.

Me? I'm still rockin' a tube but planning for the future. When I make the leap I wanna go big (no less than 40 inches) with 1080p capability, and I need to be confident in my purchase. Thousands of dollars is no chump change.
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:32 am

I've been doing some shopping too.

I'll be entering in the rear-projection DLP range, 45" or bigger, 1920x1080 and 1080p, at or below $2000. Looking pretty closely at Samsung and Toshiba.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:38 am

you guys should check out the mitsubishi 1080p rear projection dlps on display at circuit city. there are three sizes and they're all stunning. hands down the best picture i've ever seen on any tv.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:35 pm

LCoS is great, if you don't mind paying extra for it. I just opted for an LCD tv in my bedroom. I liked that it was under 30 lbs for a 32" TV.

I used to be a big fan of Toshiba. However, it appears that they are not doing too well and will soon have their units manufactured by a company in china that does a lot of low quality TVs.

I'd stick with Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:53 pm

Sony is shit, and that's even without those godawful "battle of the sexes" ads for the Bravia. If you're going with a mass-market brand, I've been very impressed with Samsung. They get better and better, and their prices are better than Sony's any day. We've recently gotten both a 26" HDTV and a 19" computer monitor/HDTV combo, and are very happy with both.

For local options, however, I went to Paragon recently and they had an absolutely gorgeous Yamaha monitor. Oh, was that thing pretty. They know their stuff, unlike those wankers at Big Blue Box.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:25 pm

How long will those things last, I wonder. My old Zenith is older than a high school student and still working. But these new ones are full of high speed digital stuff, a million times more transistors to fail.

As I understand it, the plasma ones slowly fade out over time.

The low-end LCD ones don't look so good.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:How long will those things last, I wonder. My old Zenith is older than a high school student and still working. But these new ones are full of high speed digital stuff, a million times more transistors to fail.

That's a good question. Are we paying 2-30 times as much for something that will last half as long?

On another note, there's a handful of new inputs on HDTV's, namely VGA (which used to only be available on computer monitors) and HDMI/DVI. Could someone here break things down in lamen's terms for everyones benefit? I've read articles that explain the differences and by the end I was more confused then I was to begin with.
Component vs. VGA vs. HDMI/DVI - Go.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:11 pm

HDMI can be buggy on some TVs. It will include both video and audio. Component video is 3 cables of just video. You have to use either HDMI or component from HD sources to transmit HD, because S-video and other inputs only send 480i. DVI is generally only for PC to monitor video, and is preferable to VGA due to image quality.

General recommendations are, try HDMI and if it's ok, use it, otherwise use component video.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:14 pm

VGA type inputs are probably only included because with HDTV you finally have something that rivals monitor quality display that can handle computer video output.

Gonna preface all this by saying I'm not an expert; this is just how I understand it from my research.

Component cables limit you to 1080i, and HDMI is necessary for 1080p. If you don't have a 1080p-capable TV, Component should be good enough quality-wise as far as cable/sattelite, or Over The Air (antenna) HD signals.

On the HD-DVD/BluRay side, things are a bit different. HD movies use HDCP-protected media (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) that may not play over Component cables. So a new HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player (I think it's actually the movie that would require it) will probably require you to use HDMI in order to actually view your movies. The nice thing about HDMI is that it transmits both Video and Audio over the same cable.

If you plan on getting an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player, then you should plan on using the HDMI cable for it (even if your TV only does 720p). This way you won't have to worry about not being able to watch protected content.

Unless you have a 1080p capable TV, though, you can use Component cables for your Satellite/Cable/HD Antenna signal without a problem or loss in quality.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:47 pm

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:07 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:How long will those things last, I wonder. My old Zenith is older than a high school student and still working. But these new ones are full of high speed digital stuff, a million times more transistors to fail.

The new Samsung DLP TV's coming out in April are going to be lasting 4-5 times longer than before because they will be using a LED light source as opposed to the bulb-based light sources (UHP lamps) that are being used now. I'm not sure if there will be less transistors than before, but LED's can eliminate several components such as the color wheel and filters used in the current DLP's on the market. LED's also use two-thirds less power and produce a much wider color reproduction. With the color enhancement capable from LED's, up to 90% of the spectrum that's currently lost with all displays (other than tube based TV's) is regained. Plus, with a cabinet depth of only 13.4 inches on these new DLP's, they'll fit where the old ones won't.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:29 am

Too bad the LED based DLPs don't look quite as good picture quality wise yet per various reviews around the net. I'd wait a couple of years before getting one.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:46 pm

I'd be interested in finding out what happened to these.

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20021231S0017

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_diode

Seems like they are saying an OLED would be cheap to produce and if a display had to be replaced every few years, it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Forget about OLED TVs, let's just get the oled keyboard out first. That thing is virtually vaporware. I'm not convinced we can get an OLED tv until the lame keyboard is done. Although my Tivo does have an OLED display on the front of it... maybe we're getting close.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mamesj » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:14 pm

I picked up an LCD last week and the pic actually looked worse in 480i/p than on my 17 year old mitsubishi tube TV. PS2 games looked like PS1 games, only animated shows looked decent in regular cable, DVDs and normal shows were awful and no amount of adjusting fixed it. HD stuff looked great, everything else was crap. I researched so much...a few people said things like "SDTV isn't perfect on it" or something like that, but I didn't expect my ancient TV to trump it. :lol:

Decided to opt for a CRT HD monitor instead that I bought from a friend for super cheap...1080i isn't quite as nice on it, but 480i/p look nearly perfect to me. It'll do the trick until I can afford something really high end.
Mamesj

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games