MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Next-Gen Stepping Up Online Offerings

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:18 pm

I think two of the biggest, and most frustrating offenders are Konami and Atari.
Considering the fact that you could get most of the games available on Xbox Live on their portable ports for less money.
Konami Classics Series: Arcade Hits on the Nintendo DS includes Time Pilot, Track & Field, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Rush'n Attack, Contra, Scramble and 9 more games - which, you can purchase new for $14.99 (Gamestop/EBGames), whereas it would cost $30 to get the 6 of the 15 available games on Xbox Live.

Atari Classics Evolved on the PSP includes Centipede/Millipede, Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe, Tempest, Missile Command and 5 more games - which, one can purchase new for $19.99, whereas it would cost you $20 to get the 6 of the 11 available games on Xbox Live.

My biggest frustration is that they haven't released them on home consoles. Konami hasn't released a compilation on a home console since the PSOne (Konami Arcade Classics back in 1999, which is now rare), and there's no reason why Atari Classics Evolved shouldn't have been released on the PS2 at a budget price.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:45 am

Capcom cracks XBLA size limit
"Microsoft eases 150MB limit to let publisher achieve "complete feature and graphical parity" for PSN, XBLA versions of SSFII Turbo HD Remix and Bionic Commando Rearmed."
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:45 pm

Atari have been losing money for years. if they've got a scheme to break even, I say let 'em.

No good excuse for Konami except having a game on a portable. Sony and Microsoft have strict approval processes for ports and new games. Sony may have blocked a PS2 port in favor of keeping a desirable game on the PSP. Microsoft has no vested interest in game compilations on disc while they run Arcade.

Your best bet for either of these is Wii, where Nintendo doesn't give a shit if you even know how to make games or are just copying the movie 101 Dalmations with buttons to mash during scenes, they'll give you the Official Nintendo Seal of Approval.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Dreamfall Lands On Xbox Originals
Nice! Another tough find made easy!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:17 pm

I still feel uneasy putting a gamefile on my system that big without being able to back it up. at least with only a 20GB drive. I'm on the verge of upgrading to an elite hard drive just so I won't get spooked by space. I'm already to to the point where only 8GB is left, and thats only a couple downloads away from full!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:42 pm

I don't blame you one bit. How much memory do Xbox Originals generally take up anyway? I don't think I could do it even now. I can't seem to maintain at any less than 5o% HD space.
Preferrably I'd rather get the hard copy, but I definitely appreciate the added availability. If nothing else it cuts the price-gougers down to size.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:31 am

most xbox originals take up 1.5 GB.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:37 am

Shipley wrote:most xbox originals take up 1.5 GB.

I dunno, that's not unreasonable, especially considering that alot of game demo's take up near that amount.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 am

Master System games will go for $4 on US Wii
"Action platformer Wonder Boy and side-scrolling shoot-'em-up Fantasy Zone will comprise "the first wave of many" Master System releases for the Virtual Console."
I dunno, most Master System games aren't worth more than a dollar. I mean I just got 16, 17 Master System games on this Coleco Sega handheld on clearance from Target for $7-some-dollars a little while back.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am

there you go trying to put a value to these games again.

Nintendo should be charging a buck each for these and NES games and only charging more for premium ones like Super Mario Bros 3. for $5 I won't touch a lot of early NES stuff, but for a dollar, they'd get it out of me easier.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:54 am

I'd like to see Sega release their Sega Ages line on Xbox Live/Wii Virtual Console.
Only 9 out of 32 have been released in the US on Sega Classics Collection for the PS2, and yeah, the games are real hit-or-miss. The remake of Alien Syndrome was poor and Golden Axe was terrible - but the remakes of Space Harrier and Outrun were faithful upgrades.
I want my Phantasy Star remake you stingy bastards!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri May 23, 2008 9:23 am

Microsoft to remove duds from Live Arcade
"Microsoft will be "delisting" underperforming games. To become a potential candidate, a game would need to have an average Metacritic score below 65, be at least six months old, and have a conversion rate (the percentage of demo downloaders who go on to buy the full product) of less than 6 percent. Microsoft will also give a three-month heads-up when it plans to yank a game from the service."
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm

I think they'd be better cutting prices on underperforming software. If its not selling at 400 points, slash to 200. Doom got a price cut a few months ago and now its a top seller.
Arcade is a great service, but offering less games isn't the way to eliminate clutter.
Still, its Microsoft's way to deny and delay bad games, which has worked pretty well so far. I just worry about a game like Castle Crashers, which has been in production for like 2 years finally making it out the door and not getting attention and then getting the axe.

Tetris and Pac-Man are on the potential de-list chopping bloc, and to remove two of the best games ever created would be a mistake. They may have a low score and conversion rate since they've been bought so many times or played to death by jaded critics, but classics should stay because of the chance of pulling in new fans, and to remain available for the hardcore like myself who will buy tetris for every single machine thats capable of playing it.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue May 27, 2008 2:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1tFC8BtnU
I got $200 worth of Microsoft points for $50. And made a video.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Shipley wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1tFC8BtnU
I got $200 worth of Microsoft points for $50. And made a video.

I gave it a go but they didn't let it fly. Let me use one coupon out of sheer pity. There were only six cards left though so I imagine some others managed for the deal to go through.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games