MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

MP3 Player..do you recommend an IPOD?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:52 pm

mrak wrote:
ThoreauBot wrote:Good call. I imagine the launch of the iPhone is going to be fun to witness at a distance.

That's how I plan to enjoy it. (But then, having a year left on another wireless carrier's contract is a substantial factor in that decision too.)

On the upside, Apple's bound to receive a good amount of constructive feedback (read: bitching) from the early adopters.

I bet the second one will be cool.

And I predict the second one will have a user-replaceable battery. To me, that's practically a deal-breaker with a wireless phone, more so than with a digital music player.

I expect Apple's entry into a new industry to present them with all kinds of lessons. And as always, it'll be fun to see how quickly (if ever) they learn from some of them.

And in closing, I just want to mention Apple a few more times:
Apple, Apple, Apple, Steve Jobs, Apple, iPod, Apple, Steve Jobs, Apple

...just because I enjoy its uncanny ability to turn Beer Moon into pulsewidth modulation.

Well the first one should have a replaceable battery, because they were supposed to have learned that with the iPod fiasco. Clearly they didn't, and so I doubt they will for v2.

There are already rumors that the next incarnation will not be a bigger better iPhone, but a sellable iPhone in the sub-$200 price range, where the vast majority of consumer electronics are actually purchased. If so, goodie on them and I will definitely check it out.

If I have to shell out $600 though, I should be able to use whatever I want to transfer my music to it. We have the technology.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 am

Beer Moon wrote:If I have to shell out $600 though, I should be able to use whatever I want to transfer my music to it. We have the technology.

I don't know of a PDA phone that does this now... you generally need software for the various palm, windows, and linux PDAs.

That said, I doubt it will be long before ephPod and similar apps are updated to work with the iPhone.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hobo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:12 am

I have a Sansa 250 and despite what a previous poster posted, YOU CAN create playlists with windows media player and synch them.

Also has an FM radio which the IPod does not have. You can also record from the FM radio. I have actually used that feature several times to play back a news story for my wife.

The voice recording feature is very nice. I use it all the time to record memos for work.

Also, it plays just about any music file.

I paid $99 for the 2 gig version and it is expandable with the micro SD slot.
Hobo

Re: MP3 Player..do you recommend an IPOD?

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 pm

I still haven't made the jump to an MP3 Player/IPOD, and a big part of that is the $250 cost of admission for an IPOD classic.
I've been eyeing the 8GB Sony Mp3 Walkman, which would seem like the natural progression since I've owned a Sony cassette Walkman and then a Sony CD Walkman.

Problem I have is 8GB for half the price of an IPOD. Double that to equal the price of an IPOD Classic and you'd be getting 16GB compared to 160GB in an IPOD Classic. The more GB the better, as I'd like to put as much of my music collection as possible onto that little nugget.

A smaller GB player at a more affordable admission would be fine IF there was a way to add more memory.
WHY in the world do MP3 players not offer that option?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby George Brown » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:24 am

you should go for i pod nano , it is the best , but except its handling problem , people feel awkward handling it , otherwise it is the best in the deal .
apartment homes tucson
Last edited by George Brown on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Brown

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:56 am

As someone who has owned a 2nd generation 40GB (biggest at the time), a shuffle, and two nanos I recommend getting the most GB for your money. If you are trying to fit the IPod into a purse/bag or if you use it for jogging/cycling then maybe not. If your number one priority is storage and being able to jukebox wherever you are (and play TV or movie video files), get the bigger GB one, its totally worth it.

I converted all of my CDs to digital files about a decade ago and never looked back. Even though I was an avid music collector and a DJ--I knew that this was the future and that CDs would never have the collectible value of LPs. So I sold all of my CDs (over 700 at the time) on half.com and made 4k. To this day--I buy a CD, rip it on Itunes and then sell it on half.com. I am not 100% comfortable buying mp3s from Itunes or Amazon because we have had problems when moving from one computer to another or when different versions of Itunes came out. Every track I have ever downloaded from a CD is backed up in multiple places using external HDs. In fact, I was not able to play my entire Itunes catalog (over 90GB now) off of an internal computer HD until I bought my most recent laptop (it has a 500GB HD).

My 2nd gen 40GB doesn't run off the battery anymore and I can't update it, so I have added the 160GB to my holiday wishlist. I never even considered a smaller model.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hobo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:05 pm

MadMind75 wrote:A smaller GB player at a more affordable admission would be fine IF there was a way to add more memory.
WHY in the world do MP3 players not offer that option?

The Sandisks DO offer expandable memory. They have a slot for a Micro SD card.
A coworker has an IPOD. I showed him my Sansa. He saw the features, ease of use, compact size and PRICE and was sold. He said when his IPOD gives out he's buying a Sansa.
Hobo

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:19 pm

They only go up to 32GB in capacity, and the 32GB model is around $170 bucks. I doubt you could buy a really cheap 4 or 8 GB Sansa and expand it to 80 or 160 GB. Again if you're using it as a library for all your audio files (plus video), bigger GB is the way to go.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Definitely go big. I've got a 60GB iPod that I filled two years ago. After four purges I'm now at the stage where there isn't much to cut to make room for new additions. I never would have thought this would have been an issue when I first got the device, but it's definitely one now.

Another regret: when I first started converting my CDs to digital I didn't know enough to bump up the bit rate, so I'm now stuck with too many poor-sounding digital files. Fortunately I retained most of my physical collection (the work vehicles don't have an aux jack, just a CD player) but I've had a hard time working up the motivation to redo the job correctly.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Stuff white people like (myself included); "White people have always been renowned for having ridiculously large music collections."
George Brown wrote:you should go for i pod nano , it is the best , but except its handling problem , people feel awkward handling it , otherwise it is the best in the deal .

No way would I get an IPod Nano (max 16GB) or an Ipod Touch. I don't find the size of an Ipod Classic to be prohibitive in any way, and I don't care about a touch screen, infact I actually prefer the tangible click wheel.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm going to take a slightly different point on large disk space. It's nice to have but I'm not so sure it's necessary. I have an iPod Touch 8GB and I have never been close to maxing out the space. I'm never going to listen to 8GB of music at any given stretch. I simply manage my playlists for the ones I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I'll give one genre a break because I've listened to it to death. I only have on my iPod what I'm interested in listening to at the time. So, my library is extremely large but I don't see the point of having the entire library on my device.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:58 pm

c02 wrote:I only have on my iPod what I'm interested in listening to at the time.

I know what you're getting at, as a cursory sort by last played reveals several hundred songs on mine that weren't played at all in 2010 and a few more dating back to 2008. But I still wouldn't like having to manually add and subtract songs to match my daily mood. If it's the middle of the day and I want to listen to something completely different, I don't want to wait until I get home to do so. Plus I like to put mine of shuffle, especially when I'm driving. The mixture across genres is like a kick-ass free form radio show.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games