MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

MP3 Player..do you recommend an IPOD?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby paulie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:54 am

FWIW, I think Apple in general makes quality products. Always overpriced, but you typically get decent quality. I'm one of "those people" who have an aversion to most things Apple on principle, but I wouldn't refuse to take any of their products if given to me for free.

I have an IAudio X5 player, and I really like it. Drag n drop, FM radio, voice recording, line-in recording at 320kbps(this is the other main thing I bought it for aside from PLAYING music), and it also plays movies.

They have some decent players. The parent company is Cowon, check them out: http://cowonamerica.com

The only bad mark on Cowon is that they use a "joystick" for navigation on the player, which was a littly flimsy in their early hardware. I had to RMA mine for a fix, but otherwise it's been awesome.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby AlphaLiberal » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:50 pm

I'm looking at the the Sansa player, too. They seem to be selling well and don't suffer from the proprietary format Apples forces upon it's users. (Shades o' Microsoft!)

Any reviews?
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:01 pm

AlphaLiberal wrote:I'm looking at the the Sansa player, too. They seem to be selling well and don't suffer from the proprietary format Apples forces upon it's users. (Shades o' Microsoft!)

The proprietary format is an iTunes Music Store thing, not an iPod thing (or even an iTunes thing). It's why I don't buy my music from Apple unless I want a song right this minute. All the music files in my iTunes library, except for those few hasty purchases, are plain old MP3s.

AlphaLiberal wrote:Any reviews?

I've heard great things about their waistband carrying case, the Sansabelt.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:45 pm

Ducatista wrote:It's why I don't buy my music from Apple unless I want a song right this minute. All the music files in my iTunes library, except for those few hasty purchases, are plain old MP3s.

That's the way I approach the iTunes Store, too. It's not really a store to me, it's a jukebox. I want to hear a song now, I pay to hear it, just like I would in a bar. (Costs maybe twice as much as a song from a bar jukebox, but lets me put it on my iPods, burn it to CD, listen to it again whenever I want.)

But if it's music I really care about, then I'll buy a CD and rip MP3s myself at a higher bit rate than Apple will sell me.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:33 pm

I wonder what universitylad ended up doing? He never responded to any of our comments even though he was the one who started this thread, strange.

This is a good article from LAPTOP Magazine about Samsung's new MP3 player vs the iPod Nano:
Apple Had better Watch Out: Samsung's YP-T9 is The Most Powerful Nano Competitor Yet
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Meph » Thu May 31, 2007 4:46 pm

About a year ago I was in the market for a new MP3 player and after doing a lot of research I went with the Creative Zen Vison M. It has everything the Ipod video has minus the pain in the ass Digital Rights Managment bullshit.

Whatever you decide to buy do not get a Zune. It has even more DRM restrictions than the Ipods.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Zen-Visi ... B000CS7U1C
Meph

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 31, 2007 5:30 pm

As mentioned, the iPod does not put DRM into your tunes. The iTunes store does, but that's only if you buy tracks there. If you just rip cds in iTunes there's no DRM built in.

Using iTunes you can't take your ipod to a friend's and then copy all his music to the ipod and all your music from it. But you can with any number of other 3rd party programs such as ephpod or anapod.

And if you are extreme about it, you could install rockbox on your ipod and use it like any other usb storage device, and even play flac and Ogg files.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:13 am

You know, one point i never see is resale value. I have been able to sell every single apple product I own on ebay. I sold a smashed green ipod mini for $79. I sold a G5 for more than it cost NEW.

I am a talented and conniving seller, but still. I have no qualms paying more for an ipod or someday an iphone or what have you; I confidently calculate that when I tire of the thing, I will be able to get a good chunk of cash from it towards my next tech fix.

I found an abandoned sony mini disk player. I could only sell it for $9.99. Solidifies my thinking, that.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:00 am

nickled&dimed wrote:You know, one point i never see is resale value. I have been able to sell every single apple product I own on ebay. I sold a smashed green ipod mini for $79. I sold a G5 for more than it cost NEW.

I am a talented and conniving seller, but still. I have no qualms paying more for an ipod or someday an iphone or what have you; I confidently calculate that when I tire of the thing, I will be able to get a good chunk of cash from it towards my next tech fix.

I found an abandoned sony mini disk player. I could only sell it for $9.99. Solidifies my thinking, that.

So you sold a solid-state MP3 player that is compatible with all of today's technology for less than half of retail value, and you consider a comparison to an aborted proprietary Sony media format that was DOA in the consumer market some sort of confirmation that Apple products hold their value?

I'm not saying there aren't millions of drooling morons out there waiting to snatch up any kit with an Apple engraved on it at ridiculously high prices, but the above conclusion is practically a non sequitur.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:12 am

I am saying that for WHATEVER reason, product quality or consumer stupidity, that apple products have a higher resale value. I don't buy many other computing products, so that was the best comparison that I had.

oh yeah- Last year I sold my 1999 dv imac for $250. True, I had maxed out all of it's little possibilities, and installed osx on it, but still.

This week I found a working ibook at a garage sale for $25. It seems to work. i can't decide if i should fix it up for the kids or take it apart and sell the parts. The airport card is worth $80 by itself.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:53 pm

My advice is to be careful when buying a 1st generation Apple IPOD product (IPOD vs. Mini vs. shuffle vs. Nano). Wait until the kinks are worked out. The 40GB dinosaur I have is 3rd generation and it still works great many years later ($400). Once I had to reset it, but I had all 82 GBs of my music on a HD, so it only took a few hours to replace all 40 GBs.

I got my wife a mini as soon as they came out (she wanted the shiny silver one). Basically bought it for looks/size vs. capacity. She had trouble with it from the get-go, mostly with static. After googling and troubleshooting, nothing seemed to work. We replaced it with a much cheaper shuffle that she loves a couple years later. This time waiting until the shuffles had been out for 6 months or so. And resale value is huge, I sold the old mini on ebay for around $100 with full disclosure that it didn't work properly (not really sure, must've been a techie who knew how to fix mini static).

The new ones all seem to work well for my friends with video, etc. (30GB-$250, 80GB-$350). They are very cool looking, and cheaper than the old 40GB one I bought so many years ago. If you are looking for size and comfort get the nano or shuffle. If you want to be able to store a lot of data get the regular IPOD. $250 for 30BG vs. 8 GB is a no-brainer for me, but some people are nano-freaks. I will probably replace my old one with an 80GB soon. If you use the Apple store you can get an institutional discount as a university staff or student, and they engrave the IPOD for free.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:06 pm

boston_jeff wrote:My advice is to be careful when buying a 1st generation Apple IPOD product (IPOD vs. Mini vs. shuffle vs. Nano). Wait until the kinks are worked out.

Excellent advice for a first-generation Apple anything. And it probably generalizes well to the rest of the tech universe too.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ThoreauBot » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:34 pm

Good call. I imagine the launch of the iPhone is going to be fun to witness at a distance.

Plenty of people putting down a big chunk of change, as they feel entitled to the "next generation" of cell phones, but it's unlikely to be a smooth experience. On the upside, Apple's bound to receive a good amount of constructive feedback (read: bitching) from the early adopters.

I bet the second one will be cool.
ThoreauBot

Postby mrak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:45 pm

ThoreauBot wrote:Good call. I imagine the launch of the iPhone is going to be fun to witness at a distance.

That's how I plan to enjoy it. (But then, having a year left on another wireless carrier's contract is a substantial factor in that decision too.)

On the upside, Apple's bound to receive a good amount of constructive feedback (read: bitching) from the early adopters.

I bet the second one will be cool.

And I predict the second one will have a user-replaceable battery. To me, that's practically a deal-breaker with a wireless phone, more so than with a digital music player.

I expect Apple's entry into a new industry to present them with all kinds of lessons. And as always, it'll be fun to see how quickly (if ever) they learn from some of them.

And in closing, I just want to mention Apple a few more times:
Apple, Apple, Apple, Steve Jobs, Apple, iPod, Apple, Steve Jobs, Apple

...just because I enjoy its uncanny ability to turn Beer Moon into pulsewidth modulation.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:21 pm

The up side is, most phones, even ones not made by apple or with cool gesture interfaces, suck a lot and are chock full of problems. So if apple's iphone is as well, it will just be following an existing trend.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games