MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 83.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

DishHD vs Charter HD

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

DishHD vs Charter HD

Postby DMeister » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:15 pm

I want to rationally discuss a hijack of one of the local politics threads:

TAsunder wrote:What you say about satellite is true, they[Dish & DirectTV] are working on improving their HD content. But at the moment it is not as good as Cable, which is not as good as OTA or FIOS, as far as picture quality. Which is the only issue I was referring to.

It's really a minor difference but it is perceivable. My point being that Satellite would be a step down for me in all ways except the company itself and maybe price. I had great experiences with dTv and miss them. But Cable HD is noticeably better.

I would love to see a side by side demo of Planet Earth on Discovery HD Theater shown through Cable HD and DishHD.

Until then, I honestly don't believe you. Can you give me a technical reason why the pq is better on Discovery HD Theater from Cable HD vs DishHD?

Plus, with DishHD I get 3x the HD channels as Charter currently offers in the HD-tier. Plus I can hookup rabit ears and get OTA through my tivo/receiver and tivo the ota hd content in hd as well as tivo any other hd channel in hd. Plus I can get any Premium HD channels that I'm willing to pay for.

What does cable hd have that I don't?
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby aaron » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:39 pm

As I posted a week or so ago, I had cable for years and paid through the nose for it. I switched to Dish about a month or so ago. It has more than fulfilled my expectations...am extremely happy and see no discernable difference in the quality.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:16 pm

aaron wrote:As I posted a week or so ago, I had cable for years and paid through the nose for it. I switched to Dish about a month or so ago. It has more than fulfilled my expectations...am extremely happy and see no discernable difference in the quality.

Any HD experience with either company?
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:29 pm

I wouldn't take anyone's word for the quality of cable vs. satellite HD programming here unless the provide some hard data.

Go to www.dbstalk.com to find out the truth.
That's where the engineers and geeks hang out.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:32 pm

It's the compression of the HD stream.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6400524.html

I must admit one thing, though. I record OTA broadcasts whenever possible now, so it could be that explains the difference. But I can say with certainty that OTA looks better than satellite.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:10 pm

TAsunder wrote:It's the compression of the HD stream.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6400524.html

I must admit one thing, though. I record OTA broadcasts whenever possible now, so it could be that explains the difference. But I can say with certainty that OTA looks better than satellite.

yes, and like you said, that's because it's not compressed.
There's a reason why the sat and cable providers switched their compression standard a year ago.
They knew their customers would see true OTA HD and compare it what they were selling as HD and say "WTF!!!"

The HD broadcast issue is in constant flux.

BTW - if you tune into CMT's live coverage of the "StageCoach" Festival from Palm Springs the first week of May you'll be able to see my work as a live HDTV director. Too bad you won't be able to see any of true HD unless you have Viacom's new HD music channel.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:12 pm

From what I read after posting, OTA is also compressed, just not as much. And it does seem like the compression is constantly changing. As is everything with these services - when I originaly switched to d* the picture quality of cable was miserable. now that I've had to switch back, it's a lot better than it used to be.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:25 pm

BTW, dmeister, what DVR do you have that lets you record HD Satellite and HD OTA? I didn't realize there was such a device.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:01 pm

The one pictured here

I don't know that much about it. I only stalk this forum, not avs or others.

But I came home from work on my birthday a few weeks ago and saw the dish truck in front of my condo. My girlfriend set the whole thing up. Very nice suprise.

2 tuners. Either tuner will record satellite HD. Only tuner1 can record OTA digital broadcast. TV2 can watch OTA digital broadcast in SD, or DishHD content in SD. Basically TV2 can watch any channel you receive in SD. OTA digital listings are included in the guide. HDMI out or component video/optical audio out to TV1.

I really haven't been this pleased with consumer electronics for quite a while. Which is why I was suprised when you said that satellite would be a step back, if you could find some southern sky at your building.

I've had an HDTV for a year, but not much HD content, except for a few computer files like LOST torrents or M$ HD clips, so this was a big upgrade for me. I really like the Voom channels, Rave and Equator and Rush especially. Soundstage(one of the shows on Rave) is great if you even remotely like the act. Discovery HD is also fun. I've got that Planet Earth series recorded.

The new Dish HD DVR is great.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:25 pm

DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:35 pm

According to CNET, your unit can record 3 HD channels at the same time... check out the "features" part: http://reviews.cnet.com/Dish_Network_Vi ... 78299.html

It looks like it also has MPEG-4 AVC support. So it would seem that they might be offering more effective bandwidth than I thought, although OTA for locals would still be slightly better since it wouldn't be transcoding from local encoding (which is Mpeg 2 I believe) to Mpeg 4.

Does direcTV have their MPEG-4 hardware out yet? Is dish actually using it yet or just there for the future upgrades?

Anyway it definitely looks bad for charter if they don't start looking at SDV.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:01 pm

TAsunder wrote:According to CNET, your unit can record 3 HD channels at the same time... check out the "features" part: http://reviews.cnet.com/Dish_Network_Vi ... 78299.html

Sweet.

I guess that makes sense -- 2 satellite tuners and one ota digital tuner.

Like I said, I don't really know much about it. But it is one of the best consumer electronic devices I've owned. Delivered everything promised. The only think I can't do is transfer the recordings to my own hard drive. But cnet says that's coming.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:55 am

Transferring HD content around is a big to-do these days. The Series 3 tivo still can't do it because of their agreement with cable labs.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games