MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, October 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Will I get Windows updates if I don't use IE?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Will I get Windows updates if I don't use IE?

Postby Paco » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:07 am

If I am not using IE Explorer, will I still get windows updates when they come out?

I thought the answer is yes, but someone I know (IN New Zealand) is telling me she saw on the MS website that you have to use IE to get updates...
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Will I get Windows updates if I don't use IE?

Postby roland » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:57 am

Paco wrote:If I am not using IE Explorer, will I still get windows updates when they come out?

I thought the answer is yes, but someone I know (IN New Zealand) is telling me she saw on the MS website that you have to use IE to get updates...

Automatic updates doesn't require IE use,

There are two ways I'm aware that you can get them, one without IE, one using IE for only that purpose;

Without IE

If Automatic Updates is turned on they will still get pushed to you and installed, or notified of the need to install new updates

With IE

You can still go to Tools, Windows Update in IE occasionally to check for new updates.

MS has come out with several updates/patches over the past couple weeks, so take a look.

There may be others, but those are the ways I know of.

Good luck
roland

Postby paulie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:03 am

i was interested in this thread too for the sole fact that i havent installed any updates for windows xp since service pack 2. not a single one, not even for the DST fix(i did it via the registry). staying clean is really all about protecting yourself with a firewall, and smart browsing with firefox.

good info roland, thanks!
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby KGBear » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:34 am

You can use Firefox plugin 'WindizUpdate'.
KGBear

Postby Paco » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:37 am

Over the last 10 days I was getting that MISSING DLL message at bootup that a lot of people were getting, including friends in Australia and Sweden. It was caused by something MS did I believe. A friend sent me the MS fix, but I didn't get around to running it and starting about 2 days ago I haven't gotten the error. I'm betting it was fixed, but I don't recall.

I use IE about once a month when the Firefox & K-meleon don't work. So it got fixed somehow, and I seem to recall other fixes on this pc which I've only had since Nov '06.
I know it gave me auto-updates with 98 which I used until last year.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games