MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Energy Usage Monitoring

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Energy Usage Monitoring

Postby TAsunder » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:54 am

I was reading an article on bbc news describing how every home in the UK will be entitled to a free energy monitoring device.

How much do those things cost? I know I can buy a little doohickey to plug between the socket and any device that I can then look at later, but it surely would cost hundreds of dollars to install one everywhere, and I don't think they come with a central monitoring device.

Anyone installed something like that in their home?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

re: Energy Usage Monitoring

Postby jtgumby » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:25 pm

If you want a whole-house monitor, the cheapest I'm aware of is "The Energy Detective" at $140. I haven't used it. If you buy one I'd be interested in hearing how you like it.

http://www.theenergydetective.com/frameset.asp

For devices that plug in, MG&E has donated dozens of portable meters to the library system. These meters can only do one appliance at a time, however. The following page has a link to borrowing one.

http://www.mge.com/Home/saving/energymeter.htm
jtgumby

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Nothing to add for me, except knowledge of an individual socket monitor called the Kill-A-Watt.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: re: Energy Usage Monitoring

Postby small cheese » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:15 pm

jtgumby wrote:If you want a whole-house monitor, the cheapest I'm aware of is "The Energy Detective" at $140.

There's a monitor being developed by some doctoral candidates in Japan that takes TED further; it's a really cool interactive device. Hopefully it will be fully developed and become available here (but I think that would be years from now).

Sorry for the big pic, but I want it to be legible. (I love that "rice cooker" is in the list of appliances.)

There was also a presentation on TED. Most people really liked it at first; they checked their usage all the time for the first couple of weeks, but then they pretty much ignored it after the novelty wore off. I'd stick with the energy meters you can check out from the library.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games