MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Charter Cable DVR Users: Got the Moxi update?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Charter Cable DVR Users: Got the Moxi update?

Postby paulie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:27 pm

So my Moxi received a software update today. Apparently they've enabled the USB ports, allowing users to attach external drives. Anyone tested this yet? They also have polished the interface a little, adding little "slide-in" animations that weren't there before, as well as slow motion and the ability to globally change the guide's timeslot, instead of only one channel like it was before.

I'm mainly interested in the prospect of expanding my storage capability. I also have no illusions about the portability of things saved externally. I would imagine theyve encrypted it or somehow mangled it so you can't offload. I don't really care.

I'm just wondering if anyones checked it out, and if it might be worth picking up a cheap enclosure so I can use one of these drives I have laying around.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby rezin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:03 am

nothing to do with the update but have you had any problems with your moxi box? i'm on my 3rd one in about 16 months. the first one just completely died on me after a year and the second one started overheating badly after a a couple months.
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:11 am

i've never had a real problem with my moxi.
i too am interested in the increased storage.

how many gigs does the moxi unit hold on it's own?

ever since i got hd storing shows has been a real hassle.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:58 am

i've had no problems with mine other than interface slowness, which seems to have been fixed with this update.

don't quote me, but i think the moxi has an 80GB internal drive. whatever it actually is, its woefully inadequate for HD content.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:26 pm

My moxi died after over a year and a half of service back in December. They had no replacement at the time, so I went down to basic for a few months. When I moved last month, I decided to get back on the DVR horse, and they gave me some other BS motorola box. the thing is junk, and isn't even working right, cutting out all my basic and expanded channels and only giving me digital ones.

I got on the phone right after installation and demanded a new moxi. being able to set the display parameters to work with my TV (HD 780p, widescreen) is worth it alone, but the interface is worlds better.

Charter is supposed to get my a new moxi on sunday, but only because I've made 10+ phone calls in the past 3 days and been to the fitchburg and east madison offices.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:07 am

This guy got a WD 500GB MyBook Essential ($125 @ Newegg) and added it to the back of his Moxi after the recent update. He appears to be from Fitchburg according to his details. He is using it as added storage.

Last week CompUSA had a sale on those drives for $119, and I grabbed one. They're back up to $170 at CompUSA, so I posted a link to the Newegg deal. $125 is not too shabby for 500GB.

From 80GB to 500GB is more than 500% increase in storage capacity. I am very excited.

I get my Moxi today (I have a Motorola 3416 right now). I will let you all know how the upgrade goes.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:36 am

Just an FYI on Moxi program storage (these are estimates)- the Moxi boxes have an 80GB hard drive in them, which the manufacturer claims can record 12 hours of HD programming, or 42 hours of standard def.

If that is true, then expanding the storage from 80GB to 580GB should increase the HD capacity from 12 hours to approximately 87 hours.

The Motorola 3416 I have now is equipped with a 160GB Western Digital Hard Drive and held about 24 hrs of HD programming. I am going to lose about 2 seasons of Arrested Development, half of HD Firefly, and some assorted ATHF and Metalocalypse. Sux.

For someone recording only Standard Def programming, the typical 42 hours of SD programming would be expanded to about 300 hours by adding the 500GB drive.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:45 am

so does adding one of these drives require any extra set up?

I'm sorely tempted to do this just to be able to record a dozen or so movies at a time and then not have to watch them all right away to avoid losing them when The Daily Show comes back.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:44 am

i went out and bought a 300gig external drive the other day only to discover that my moxi did not have any rear usb slots. apparently it's an older model. so now i have a guy coming out with a new one tomorrow morning...
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:38 pm

Indeed, Beer Moon, any special setup with the new drive?

I'm curious if it has to format the drive and stuff, and whether it does that all automatically... Or what.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:38 pm

I'm curious if it has to format the drive and stuff, and whether it does that all automatically... Or what.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:26 am

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:49 am

OK I am up and running. Here's what happened.

I didn't take a picture, but I started by recording some HD Planet Earth. My Moxi storage page showed 9% full at that point.

I sorta wanted to test how idiot-proof this process was, so I didn't do too much prep. While the Moxi was still on (and recording Planet Earth), I plugged in the WD drive to the power, and then plugged the USB plug into the top spot on the back of my Moxi.

Nothing happened. Knowing that #1 troubleshooting technique for electronics is the reboot/restart/power off, I hit the Reset button on the front right side of the Moxi. It stopped sending signal to my TV and showed a bunch of numbers on the front. After a couple minutes the Moxi had finished its reset prorcess, and turned back on.

I saw this:

I selected Format.

It actually took less than 2 minutes to format.

I checked how much space was left.

What was 9% is now 0%. Will post an update later this weekend after I get some content recorded. Scheduling all kinds of stuff just to see what kind of space this offers.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:57 pm

Now I have a little over 3 hours of HD content saved, and it is showing 3% full.

$$$$
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:22 pm

awesomesauce. looks like I'm in the market for 2 new hard drives, one for my mac and one for my moxi.

being able to keep stuff indefinitely is way better than beginning an investment in a high def dvd format that might fail.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games