MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Charter Cable DVR Users: Got the Moxi update?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Charter Cable DVR Users: Got the Moxi update?

Postby sparky7 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks for all your posts. I just had Charter replace my expired MOXI and I wanted to increase the storage from a measly 80GB also. I used a Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 100GB 7200rpm 16mb cache in a cheap usb travel enclosure. Using both usb ports on the rear of the MOXI box, as one alone will not provide enough power. The box recognized the new storage instantly, and requested to format, as was posted earlier. The format process took a few minutes, and that was it. Now I have about 200 hours of regular programming storage, and 23 of HD. I had this drive lying around, otherwise I would have selected a larger unit. Hopefully it will last. The speed and cache seem very important to minimize artifacting and freeze-up. MOXI has a snazzy new HD box for purchase for $800, @ Amazon, w/no monthly fees, BTW.
sparky7

Postby Beer Moon » Mon May 11, 2009 7:34 pm

Rumor has it that you won't need to buy one to get this new Moxi through Charter around here. Aside from the monthly fee, of course.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Tue May 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Back when this thread started I didn't have a DVR, so I really wasn't on board with all the excitement about the Moxi and its software update.

However, last July I finally got a DVR through Charter (groan) and now I understand all about the desire to increase disk space. The DVR Charter gave me is not a Moxi. Its a Motorola DCH3416.

Here is the dumb question of the day: If I plug an external hard drive into the USB port in the back of the DCH3416, will it recognize the device and increase my disk space?

The DCH3416 manual I found online from Motorola shows that you can connect an external drive to it, but it says "Do not attempt to connect data devices without contacting your service provider. Advanced data features require the proper application and network infrastructure to operate".

So based on that (and the enthusiasm expressed here for the Moxi software update) I assume plugging a hard drive into Charter's Motorola DCH3416 wouldn't work. I don't happen to have an external drive laying around, so before I buy one, I thought I'd ask.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby sparky7 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Your Motorola DVR is what Charter is currently offering in our area in NC. If your tech support is not brain dead like ours, they can determine whether adding a portable drive is supported, and if so, the minimum specs the drive must have. It was plain luck the spare drive I had exceeded my MOXI's requirements, and worked.

To Beer Moon: The link was a help, I had known Digeo was filling Charter's first order for the new second generation 3012 MOXI last May. As more customers expectations are raised by HD, and bugs get ironed out, supply may approach demand- if Charter itself survives.
sparky7

Postby Beer Moon » Thu May 14, 2009 7:15 am

frozenCow wrote:So based on that (and the enthusiasm expressed here for the Moxi software update) I assume plugging a hard drive into Charter's Motorola DCH3416 wouldn't work. I don't happen to have an external drive laying around, so before I buy one, I thought I'd ask.

As far as I know, the Moxi is popular at Charter with heavy DVR users precisely because it is the only box they have that has the external port enabled.

Of course, I've never tried it myself on the other boxes - so I don't know for sure - and Charter doesn't SUPPORT it - they just didn't have it disabled in the firmware for the Moxi - who knows why that is.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Just dropped off my motorola DVR at charter this morning. Now I'm setting recordings for my new uVerse box from right here at my desk at work. Sweet.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed May 20, 2009 3:01 pm

i was able to program my moxi from any computer as well.

i switched to uverse last week, and while i have no deal breaking complaints so far, i really miss the moxi. these cisco boxes are pretty much shit compared to the moxi as far as features and ease of use. i think even the motorola dvr's are better than these.
also, this total home dvr shit that at&t is pushing turns out to be something of a scam. they tell you that you can record four shows at once, which is awesome, but what they don't tell you is that only two of them can be HD. really the main reason i switched was charter's terrible HD channel offerings. the last thing i want to do is record or watch SD stuff while my two HD programs record. so, that's a wash.
also, though at&t initially appears to have most of the same on demand choices as charter as far as premium movie channels and other cable networks, in fact they do not offer the HD on demand content from those channels that charter does. that is bitter.
otherwise, the internet speed seems fine compared to what i was getting with charter, and the phone service seems fine as well... and it is a joy having all the new HD channels.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 20, 2009 3:07 pm

frozenCow wrote:Here is the dumb question of the day: If I plug an external hard drive into the USB port in the back of the DCH3416, will it recognize the device and increase my disk space?

I looked into this a while back when I got a DCH3416 from Charter. My understanding is that the USB ports on the DCH3416 are not data-enabled. I believe they are powered, though, so you could plug a USB fan in, cool the place off.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Yeah I noticed the no HD on demand right away too. Hopefully it's coming at come point. Although Charter's HD on Demand offering was pretty sloppy. The 4 SD/2 HD was pretty obvious to me when I signed up. Still better than the Charter box. The actual Cisco box does look pretty chincy. Internet speed was dropped for me drastically but I haven't noticed it in practical use. Guess I never really needed that much band width.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed May 20, 2009 3:21 pm

and i really hate that all these new boxes have no clock face on them.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Yep that sucks too. It is nice and big when you open up the guide though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games