MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

HOW can XP be so BLOODY STUPID?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

HOW can XP be so BLOODY STUPID?

Postby Mike S. » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Windows XP is the most commonest sooper dooper Operachnik Systeme in the Entire Frikking World. So why is it that every single time you think "they can't be THAT stupid..." that it's always so?

I mean, after all these years, two Service Packs, it still works like some kludged-up operating system a college student wrote on summer vacation.

Suppose you want to find a file. A Mac, it teaches indiscipline. You stuff the file someplace, then you try to remember a piece of what the name was. If you can manage that, you type it in and kaching, there's every version of your file on the whole hard drive. A PC, it teaches Discipline. You know that if you forget what the name was, that's IT, the file is LOST. Sure, if you're beyond all desperation you can type in the name and Search.............. for minutes and hours it will search. To try to find a FILENAME in the DIRECTORY SYSTEM it will search almost as long as it takes your obligatory Virus Protection Program to check every byte of every file in the entire hard drive against any one of eighty thousand Windows virus signatures, plus probably reporting all the files you've looked at to Homeland Security and the photos you looked at to the FBI pedo task force and the music you listen to to the MPAA. And it will take that long to find a file you just accessed five minutes ago, without bothering to look for recently accessed items, items on the desktop first for example. And at the end of that it'll probably offer for you to "make searches faster", but it'll only "make searches faster" at 1 am in the morning (maybe there's some way to set that?) and if the computer's off never mind about it. And if it does that it's just as slow anyway. Mac should make some kind of commercial about it - a head to head test with a timer, or perhaps a cute depiction involving a competent secretary versus a moron hunting for a note that he's holding in the hand that has the thumb up his ass.

Now suppose you have four gigantic folders full of files you burned to DVD, and you decide to put them in the Recycle Bin. A normal computer would figure out some way to do it like you said. A PC will say "this folder is too big to put in the recycle bin, delete it now?" And when you say No it will dutifully preserve it, then delete the other three without asking you. Awesome dude!

Alright, then there's the handy modem feature. After so long it'll automatically disconnect you because you're idle. They also have a feature that handily reconnects you if you're disconnected for some reason. YES, it'll automatically disconnect you then redial if set that way - they couldn't be illogical, I guess! And if you hit "redial" yourself, it'll redial when you say, then after 10 seconds it'll automatically redial - cutting off your first redial. That's so SMART, dammit, it took them 20 years to get features like that.

I could go on but dinner's ready. Bloody hell this is a clever OS.
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:34 pm

Re: HOW can XP be so BLOODY STUPID?

Postby donges » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:10 pm

Mike S. wrote:A Mac, it teaches indiscipline.

And for computing, this would be considered a good thing?

Mike S. wrote:A PC, it teaches Discipline.

Not even close. There is a reason that untold thousands of Joe 6-pack's systems are infected with trojans. Not only no discipline, but no clue at all about what this machine is or how it works. "Should be just like the car, huh? Put gas in it and it just works".
Not that this leaves the Mac zealots off the hook - OS/X is just as prone to security problems as any Windows system. They just aren't targeted as often.

Mike S. wrote:You know that if you forget what the name was, that's IT, the file is LOST. Sure, if you're beyond all desperation you can type in the name and Search.............. for minutes and hours it will search.


You should always try to keep files in the same place. If you can't, chances are good that the file will be stored someplace in c:\Documents and Settings which narrows the search considerably. (If you are storing files in places like your c:\windows directory you are an idiot and nothing will help you) From there, use a wildcard like *.doc to find ALL instances of a Word document. Doesn't take too long at all.

Mike S. wrote:and the photos you looked at to the FBI pedo task force and the music you listen to to the MPAA.

What are you doing with your computer?

Mike S. wrote:Mac should make some kind of commercial about it - a head to head test with a timer,

I just read a study that compare raw computing power between an Apple II from 1977 to a current Pentium 4 running Vista. Nevermind the multimedia capabilities or the flashy screen candy - just raw computing capabilities. The Apple II won in many of the categories. (Yeah, I know - I'm trying to find the link again now)

Mike S. wrote:A PC will say "this folder is too big to put in the recycle bin, delete it now?" And when you say No it will dutifully preserve it, then delete the other three without asking you.

If you are trying to put it in the recycle bin, why would you say 'No' to deleting it? Wasn't that the idea?

Mike S. wrote:Bloody hell this is a clever OS.

I just have to state I dislike MS operating systems. But they are what the masses are using. I prefer a unix derivative but you cannot expect most people to deal with compiling applications on their own or dealing with what might appear to be incompatible hardware. OS/X is along the same lines, being a version of BSD.
All I'm saying is that people need to understand more about how their computer works and they will be much happier. And the Geek Squad will be less profitable for Best Buy.
A computer will do what you tell it to do.....not what you want it to do. Really. It is a machine, after all.
donges
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 1:03 pm
Location: between the lines...

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Obligatory Virus Protection Program?

It. Is. To. LAUGH!
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Re: HOW can XP be so BLOODY STUPID?

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:19 pm

donges wrote:I just read a study that compare raw computing power between an Apple II from 1977 to a current Pentium 4 running Vista. Nevermind the multimedia capabilities or the flashy screen candy - just raw computing capabilities. The Apple II won in many of the categories. (Yeah, I know - I'm trying to find the link again now)


No, you read about a comparison between how fast an old Apple II was able to do "similar" tasks as a modern day computer running Vista, using only tasks that the Apple II could do. Then they timed them to see which one started up its word processing software faster.

I don't care how fast it opens a word processor. I care how fast it transfers photos from my camera, compresses photos, transfers video from my camcorder, compresses and burns video, plays 3d games, gets on the internet, allows me to download music and video from the internet, etc etc etc. None of which the Apple II is capable of doing.

Why stop with Apple II vs Vista? Let's test how fast it takes to multiply 15 by 437 on a fucking abacus vs. how long it takes to type it into the calculator on Vista, because that can give us some real insight into how "advanced" technology has become.

The only reason they don't do that, is that there are no throngs of abacus fans waiting to max out their credit cards every time Steve Jobs takes a shit.

Say what you will about XP and Vista - at least nobody pretends they are perfect and that life cannot be lived without them.

So to finally get back on topic - I really sympathize with OP about the not-finding-files issue. I mean, every day when I get home from work, I pick up my mail, and then I randomly place my bills in different locations every day. Sometimes in the garage, sometimes under the seat of my car, sometimes behind my toilet, sometimes in the laundry room, sometimes under the bed... I do this with all things that are important to me. And then I get really frustrated when it comes time to pay the bills or find my stuff, and my house has inexplicably hid all of these things from me!!!

They really need to design these houses better.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:08 pm

Re: HOW can XP be so BLOODY STUPID?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:30 pm

Beer Moon wrote:The only reason they don't do that, is that there are no throngs of abacus fans waiting to max out their credit cards every time Steve Jobs takes a shit.

Apparently, you have yet to see the advertisements for the iAbacus.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Postby DMeister » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:37 pm

I hate it when my Mac finds things I intentionally lost.
DMeister
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:57 am

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:42 pm

The problem is all the guys who get on the anti Mac side of this argument have spent zero time in front of one. This comes through in their arguments. Most, no all, Mac users have a better perspective because they have actually experienced the two and with that perspective I can say honestly and truely. Windows blows and if I had my choice I would never never use it again. Besides the fact that Vista is a direct rip off of OSX. A buggy shitty rip off.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7873
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Another thing the only reason I can see as someone who owns a Mac and sits in front a PC all day at work is the only advantage to a PC is that you can play more games on it. I have what I like to call "shit to do" so I don't play them but some people quite a few buy PC's solely for this reason. But guess what. A Mac can run windows as fast as any PC. Costs the same now. (do the research) and yes has a glossy nice hip look to it, better support, higher resale value, longer lifespan by a ton.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7873
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: HOW can XP be so BLOODY STUPID?

Postby donges » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:10 pm

Beer Moon wrote:
donges wrote:I just read a study that compare raw computing power between an Apple II from 1977 to a current Pentium 4 running Vista. Nevermind the multimedia capabilities or the flashy screen candy - just raw computing capabilities. The Apple II won in many of the categories. (Yeah, I know - I'm trying to find the link again now)


No, you read about a comparison between how fast an old Apple II was able to do "similar" tasks as a modern day computer running Vista, using only tasks that the Apple II could do. Then they timed them to see which one started up its word processing software faster.

See, this is why I should know better than to post after a couple glasses of wine. Besides, I got it totally wrong - it was a Mac from 1986. Fun read Here
By the way, I agree (and so does the article) that you cannot really compare the systems of today with those of yesteryear.
donges
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 1:03 pm
Location: between the lines...

Postby Mike S. » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm not saying the Mac is perfect, and where those old-versus-new comparisons are concerned... A few years ago I knew a secretary who was complaining - truthfully - that she had to type slow into one of the new top of the line PowerPCs or it would lose letters. But then again I think she was using MS Word, so...

On recycling versus deleting: if it doesn't matter which you do, why did it bother asking me for the first folder? The point is it's a fail safe mechanism but it's not fail safe. On a Mac the Trash looks and acts like a folder, without obvious bugs.
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:34 pm

Postby paulie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:22 am

Mike S., for my own curiosity, how long have you been a Windows user? I had these problems with Windows 95 and 98, and learned how to avoid them back then.




PS, I agree Windows is a crappy OS. But it's like chicks who dig guys that hit them. That's the relationship I have with Windows.
paulie
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:14 am

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:49 am

I'd get a Mac, but I just don't want to relearn all the keyboard shortcuts I've spent years committing to reflex memory on PC.

And that's kind of the key. PCs work a certain way. They really do work. They work like a deal with the devil. If you're not explicit in your instruction, you probably won't get what you want. It's just a matter of learning to speak its language.

Granted, Macs may not require than bilingualism. But that doesn't mean that PCs don't work.

Mike, most of your complaints sound like you just don't care enough to learn to speak the language.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8433
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:29 am

fisticuffs wrote:The problem is all the guys who get on the anti Mac side of this argument have spent zero time in front of one.

Wrong. The problem is that idiots like you seem to believe that everyone uses computers for identical tasks. They don't, which is why you're far more likely to see Macs in the publishing and graphic arts worlds and PCs in places where people are actually developing third-party applications.

But thanks for pitching your inane two cents into the fucking fountain, know it all.

Most, no all, Mac users have a better perspective because they have actually experienced the two and with that perspective I can say honestly and truely.

Aside from the fact that this sentence is gibberish, it's complete bullshit, even if you leave off the nonsensical clause. There are plenty of Mac users who have scarcely ever touched a PC, let alone learned their way around one sufficiently to be considered PC-proficient. I know plenty of these people. Not all of us grew up in an age with a PC in every class room. In fact, there was a time that Apple had the public education market pretty much cornered. So those who graduated and went off to college with a Mac may have had no need ever to touch the Windows platform.

Windows blows ...

Says you and so does your mother.

Besides the fact that Vista is a direct rip off of OSX. A buggy shitty rip off.

The same has been said of every fucking Windows release since fucking 95. Apple stole the whole GUI model from Xerox. Does that mean your OSX is but a shitty rip-off too?

PCs and Macs are both useful tools. Depending on the job you need to do, one might be a better fit than the other. Plenty of us have used them both and can appreciate the pros and cons of either without engaging in this infantile wrangling as if we're fighting over our favorite sports teams or some such stupid shit.

In short, you know not whereof you speak. Your opinion counts for dick. End of argument.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Postby Mike S. » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:08 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Mike, most of your complaints sound like you just don't care enough to learn to speak the language.


Learning the language is one thing. Learning to enjoy the fact that there are bugs that haven't (apparently) been fixed since 1995? That's something else. I'm sorry, but all the things I described are bugs, not features. (The search, arguably, is a "limitation", but that's not much of an improvement). Sure, I know, there are workarounds. If I want to put the entire list of files I keep on my computer online, complete with all the various serial-numbered directories and other such trackable or embarrassing items, then sure, I can get a third party to search through my files in microseconds, for free! (why?) But this isn't about me, it's about a crappy OS.

P.S. The other poster was right - I didn't use Windows 95 or 98 previously, and while I keep thinking that Microsoft's OS can't shock me any more, I was still a bit shocked to hear the bugs go back that far. I suppose they're the same way in Vista?
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:34 pm

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:03 pm

Mike S. wrote:Learning the language is one thing. Learning to enjoy the fact that there are bugs that haven't (apparently) been fixed since 1995? That's something else. I'm sorry, but all the things I described are bugs, not features.

I'm sorry, but a lot of the problems you describe are the result of user error. Just because you don't know how to organize your shit or effectively search your file system doesn't make it Bill & Co.'s fault.

As for the rest of it, I'm willing to bet I put more miles on XP weekly than you do, and I've never encountered most of these issues. Granted, it's been a coon's age since I dealt with dial-up connections, but I'm pretty sure you can disable the automatic redial function if you look hard enough.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 10385
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 4:41 pm
Location: back atcha

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar