MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Yet another "Don't trust Charter" story...

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby paulie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:08 am

mrak wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Southwestern Bell renamed itself SBC, bought Ameritech (our "Baby Bell"), two other Baby Bells, and the post-1984 AT&T, whose name they took.

So, for those keeping score, the eight major companies AT&T was broken up into in 1984 have reassembled into three:
AT&T (4 Baby Bells plus post-breakup AT&T)
Verizon (2 Baby Bells plus GTE)
Qwest (Acquired U S West)

i will admit first of all that i'm a little naive on this subject. that said, does anyone else find it odd that these companies are able to aquire each other again after the government broke them up however many years ago?

as an aside: there is also major consolidation going on in the pharmaceutical world. multinationals gobbling up multinationals. i'm mainly referencing the novartis purchase of chiron here, but there's got to be other examples. to me, this is quite disconcerting.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 pm

juanton wrote:Try to call AT&T and ask them for information on their available plans. They refuse to tell you anything. They ask for your phone number and say they will call you back with your options. My wife said it was probably the least helpful phone person she has ever reached. He even started doubting my wife that DSl was available from other vendors in Madison.

I think it's back to TDS for me.

Wise choice. They are based in Madison, do not outsource their customer service overseas - most is right here in town, are not a monopoly, and do not eagerly give customer's phone records to the gov't unless provided proper warrents and reason for request.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:26 am

Bruno wrote:And just FYI, AT&T has a $10 DSL plan they're required to offer as a condition of their recent merger which they're not advertising.

They're not advertising it because they claim no one wants it.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:13 pm

If anyone is planning on signing up for Charter cable or internet service, go in person to their mini-office at the University Book Store.

You can get all the equipment you need to self-install (they even throw in extra coax) and avoid paying installation fees. I myself saved $100 that way.

It's a "student deal," but I was assured you do not have to be a student to take advantage of it.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:36 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:If anyone is planning on signing up for Charter cable or internet service, go in person to their mini-office at the University Book Store.

You can get all the equipment you need to self-install (they even throw in extra coax) and avoid paying installation fees. I myself saved $100 that way.

It's a "student deal," but I was assured you do not have to be a student to take advantage of it.

I did that too a couple of years ago. I had been getting the run-around from Charter for several days, spent hours on the phone, and got numerous different conflicting stories about what could and could not be done (mind you, this was just a simple matter of moving and transferring my services to the new address). Finally I just went in person to the University Bookstore and had everything taken care of within the hour. I still hate Charter with a passion, but at least the reps at the bookstore were competent.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games