MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Lack Of Original Titles

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Lack Of Original Titles

Postby MadMind » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:28 am

I just watched X-Play's Summer Games Preview and it reminded just how unoriginal the future games lineup is.

There's very very little I'm excited about to be released on next-gen consoles.

I'm tired of the flood of FPS's claiming to have something new, when it's all been done before under a different guise. I'm tired of games where online play takes president over single player. I'm tired of RPG's/ActionRPG's boasting to have randomly generated playfields or the choice to develop your character as good or evil.

Maybe I'm old school but I don't see online play as the future (I prefer a solid single-player experience), I despise randomly generated playfields (I like skillfully & artfully designed concrete playfields), and this whole 'choose your path and develop your character as good or evil' has never really panned out and given us nothing more than the illusion of choice (Star Wars:KOTOR, Fable).
At least good old-fashioned linear single-player gameplay is honest about what it is and is free of the nuisance some call "innovation".

Where's the original thought?
Don't answer with Will Wright and the delayed Spore. I barely consider Sim-City and The Sims to be games.

Super Mario Galaxy is one of few things that looks promising as here's to hoping it contains some original gaming content.
Last edited by MadMind on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:52 pm

Yeah god forbid you HAVE to play through a great game twice.

I usually end up doing it again anyway after a year or so, so in my opinion it's nice to have another path to take.

While I can't promise you all the old school gameplay (most developers have learned things from experience), here are some great original RPGs on the futures list:

Mass Effect ~Q407 360 I'm buying the 360 for this.

Fallout 3 Fall 08 PS3/360/PC Sick.

Alan Wake "when it's done" 360/PC Makers of Max Payne - more sickness.

Quite frankly, I'm happy to find one good RPG per year. There are so many that I have not finished yet.

Here's an idea, in preparation for these upcoming titles pick up the old titles by these great studios and jam through them again. Fallout, Max Payne and Max Payne 2, or any bioware title.

There are so many good RPGs out there to soak up your playtime till the next big thing comes out, that I have a hard time finding enough time to play them all! I just finally got my first lvl 20 out of NWN2 yesterday!!

I hear that the Temple of Elemental Evil was a pretty old-school RPG experience. Have you tried that one?

I'm also looking forward to other games that include some RPG elements, like Hellgate: London, the remake of Riddick for 360, and The Witcher.

Really though, my advice is to bust out your old copy of Planescape: Torment or Fallout, and play instead of complain while you wait for the next round of greats. If you don't have one, then GO GET ONE! NOW!!

Also, X-Play and the ass-gnarl that is G4 is a shitty place to get news on what's really good. It's a little bit like expecting a news channel to give you meaningful insightful analysis and in-depth reports on the most important current events, instead of an onslaught of sensational tripe and missing white girl stories.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lack Of Original Titles

Postby Wesmon » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:01 am

MadMind wrote:I just watched X-Play's Summer Games Preview and it reminded just how unoriginal the future games lineup is.

There's very very little I'm excited about to be released on next-gen consoles.

I'm tired of the flood of FPS's claiming to have something new, when it's all been done before under a different guise. I'm tired of games where online play takes president over single player. I'm tired of RPG's/ActionRPG's boasting to have randomly generated playfields or the choice to develop your character as good or evil.

Maybe I'm old school but I don't see online play as the future (I prefer a solid single-player experience), I despise randomly generated playfields (I like skillfully & artfully designed concrete playfields), and this whole 'choose your path and develop your character as good or evil' has never really panned out (Star Wars:KOTOR, Fable), and besides, doing so would mean you'd have to play through the game twice to reach both conclusions!
Good old-fashioned linear single-player gameplay has it's advantages.

Where's the original thought?
Don't answer with Will Wright and the delayed Spore. I barely consider Sim-City and The Sims to be games.

Super Mario Galaxy is one of few things that looks promising as here's to hoping it contains some original gaming content.

Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that video games have become such big business? Sort of like the whole hollywood thing where when there is alot of money to be made they don't want to take a chance on something original but would rather clone what is popular now. Just a thought as I am no expert on the gaming industry at all.

I tend to play mainly PC games and I see the same thing. FPS and RPG clones with fewer and fewer original games showing up.
Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:01 pm

more risks are being taken on Xbox Live Arcade and portables like the DS. smaller investments means less financial risk.

unlike hollywood, I'm less interested in getting into games-as-art. Shadow Of The Colassas was a good game and artsy, but it was also playable. Ditto for Katamari.

I don't need a 'sure thing' like a sequel or another FPS, but I'd be kidding if I wasn't hotly anticipating Bioshock. The Metroid series has ALWAYS brough inventive puzzles and action, and so Metroid Prime 3 will stay on my list.

the good FPS and RPG games make you forget about what you're playing. Try and tell me Half Life 2 was just another FPS and I'll tell you that your need your head examined. Bethesda's Oblivion and Bioware's RPGs prove that a genre so clearly defined by one title (Final Fantasy) need not act anything like it.

don't worry about if its new or in some genre that you think is stale or overdone, worry about if that game is done right. I'd take a one good summer action movies over a hundred indie art films without a basic entertaining premise.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games