MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
pax
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

E3

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

E3

Postby Shipley » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:54 am

Microsoft presser was last night, didn't show many new games, but that was good because every game they showed they promised to have out this calendar year. Halo in september, GTA in october, Mass Effect in november, tons of arcade games. The 360 really seems to be the core gamer's system of choice. Microsoft finally putting out so many big releases at once though, I'm going to have a seriously hard time keeping up.

oh, and the Halo trailers...
http://www.powet.tv/2007/07/11/halo-3-new-e3-trailers/

Nintendo and Sony show stuff today.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Bioshock 8/21.

Also, no Xbox 360 pricecuts, which many thought would be forthcoming given the PS3 $100 price reduction.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:17 pm

even with a reduction, the ps3 is still more expensive. Microsoft is still selling lots of systems, and has the best outlook of the 3. what reason would they have to reduce the price? if ps3 starts chipping away at sales, then they should consider it, but a price cut would be better applied at the holidays or at the Halo 3 launch.

oh yeah, and with Bioshock and Metroid Prime 3 launching the same week, Halo, Orange box, and Mass Efect later... I'm going to have my fill of sci-fi shooters. still my favorite genre, but damn thats a lot.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:32 am

Beer Moon wrote:Also, no Xbox 360 pricecuts, which many thought would be forthcoming given the PS3 $100 price reduction.

That would've been nice. When the Elite takes the place of the Premium, at the very least, I don't wanna see a price rise.

I'm still bitter that the conventions and most of whatever industry there was in Chicagoland all moved west.

From 1978 to 1994, CES was held twice each year: once in January in Las Vegas known as Winter Consumer Electronics Show (WCES) and once in June in Chicago, Illinois known as Summer Consumer Electronics Show (SCES).
In 1995, the show changed to a once a year format with Las Vegas as it's sole location.

CES ceased being a showcase for video games a year after E3 began, E3 having had it's first show in 1995. Other than a show in Atlanta and this years event in Santa Monica, E3 has been held yearly in Los Angeles ever since.
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:13 am

OK so they WILL cut the Xbox 360 prices, just not right now.

Microsoft needs to lower Xbox's prices, ranging from $299 to $479, to increase sales and lure customers who aren't interested in traditional combat and racing video games, Shane Kim, vice president of Microsoft Game Studios, said in an interview. He declined to say when a price cut may be announced. It won't happen at this week's E3 games conference, he said.

Bah. I have to buy one by August 21. GET A MOVE ON MICROSOFT!!

I was sort of waiting for the 65nm upgrade this fall due to all the heat issues so many users have had, but I guess I will have to settle for a 3-yr warranty.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 am

CES stopped being a good place for games because of the name. Industry didn't want to sell Consumer Electronics, they wanted to sell Electronic Entertainment.

I paid full price for my 360 and haven't had any complaints, personally.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime speaks with a cadence remarkably similar to Christopher Walken when reading from a prompter.

Nintendo's big presser was a snooze. They should've just handed out flyers saying "Mario Galaxy in November, Smash Bros in December" and left it at that. I hope they aren't getting cocky with the sudden success. Of course they did spend half the conference running celebratory news and youtube clips. Wii Fit will likely take up the slack from Wii Sports when that craze starts to die down, but there was nothing for the hardcore gamers in their conference. oh, except Mario Kart Wii. It may look like the DS karts with gamecube graphics, but Mario Kart has been the reason I've both the last 3 Nintendo systems, so this will make me crack again.

Still haven't had a chance to watch Sony yet, butI did see the Metal Gear and Killzone trailers. I know its popular to bash the PS3, but I'm starting to slip because both of them look insanely good. The PS3 may have made some missteps, but they still have the most power in graphics and it shows. I'd be more optimistic, but Killzone 1 on PS2 wasn't exactly amazing...

15 minutes of Halo 3 was shown behind closed doors. I'd be upset that none of that leaked out, but we're only 11 weeks away from the retail release so I'll stick it out.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:35 pm

Even though the Wii's future peripherals are really nothing more than encasings for your existing Wii-mote's, I think the steering wheel for Mario Kart and the Wii-Zapper look promising.

For some reason watching someone play Metrod Prime III makes it look more difficult to control than it probably is. It worries me to see someone stand perfectly still to fire on their enemies as if it were too difficult to manage manuevering around your enemy while shooting, which has always been a key element to combat in the Metroid Prime series.

Shipley wrote:CES stopped being a good place for games because of the name. Industry didn't want to sell Consumer Electronics, they wanted to sell Electronic Entertainment.

Oh please. I bet some of the old show-goers long for the days where they shared space with up & coming consumer electronics, and the adult film industry for that matter.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:25 am

Shipley wrote:Still haven't had a chance to watch Sony yet, but I did see the Metal Gear and Killzone trailers. I know its popular to bash the PS3, but I'm starting to slip because both of them look insanely good. The PS3 may have made some missteps, but they still have the most power in graphics and it shows.

I still couldn't care less about the PS3. There may come a time (or will there?) where an exclusive killer app arrives on the PS3 that makes it a must-have, but it isn't going to be this year.

They changed one of their anticipated IP's, Warhawk, into a strictly multi-player experience, Heavenly Sword just looks like too much of a God Of War ripoff, and I am so sick of these cinematic Metal Gear 4 trailers - they've never actually showed any honest to goodness real-time gameplay!

The first Metal Gear Solid on the PSOne was a great game... Metal Gear's debut on PS2 and all that followed however has subsequently soured me on future Metal Gear releases.
Seriously, I believe video game journalists once tallied up the total game time of MGS2 and figured that only 50% of the game give-or-take was real-time gameplay, while the other 50% was that of cinematics and overdrawn conversations. And the story was incomprehensible!
I think Kojima's more interested in telling stories than making games.

Honestly I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about the PS3 just yet. Simultaneously juggling 3 consoles is just too much to keep up with. Been there, done that. 2 consoles however is manageable.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:10 am

Download only isn't a bad thing. I own 17 xbox live arcade games, but only 5 boxed xbox 360 games.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games