MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 10.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Apple releases the new iMacs

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Apple releases the new iMacs

Postby Wet_Pavement » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:51 am

The iMacs have been updated and they look sweet. http://www.apple.com/

I will buy one after Apple's new operating system comes out. The only person who should not buy an Apple iMac is a committed PC gamer. Everyone else should get one. They simply work.

You can now get the low end 20" screen iMac for $1199. drool
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

i saw them at the apple store on saturday, very very cool
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Meh. I'm a big fan of Apple's design sense, but I don't see much to get excited about. I'm waiting for Leopard not to buy an iMac, but to get a Mac Mini to replace my DVD/DivX player.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby Wet_Pavement » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:13 am

Well they are just computers. But the really nice thing about Macs is that they simply work. You don't get weird error messages. Your chance of getting a virus, while not zero, is much lower than with Windows. I've owned my Mac mini for over two years and I think I've had to reboot it once in that whole time. And the design is very appealing. But yeah it's just a computer.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:16 am

I was just thinking the dame thing. Buy a Mac Mini and hook it up to the TV. Wireless mouse/keyboard. A lot smoother than the AppleTV. Then Id have to buy the airport Extreme and the Apple TV. I am into getting the new iMac as well but also going to wait for OSX 10.5. Should be right around the corner. I have my POwerMac up on madisonmusicians.net if anyone is looking. Less than 2 years old. Still holding its value very well from what I can tell on eBay.
Thats another thing. You have a 2 year old PC it's worth squat but my PowerMac is still very powerful and very useful.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:13 pm

I'm loving being able to run WinXP under Parallels on my Mac. I feel sort of dirty about it though. Still pretty smoking fast living in the VM world.

Damn those new iMacs are cool and getting cheaper by the minute.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:18 pm

juanton wrote:I'm loving being able to run WinXP under Parallels on my Mac. I feel sort of dirty about it though.

I got over the dirty feeling long ago. I used to have a Mac and a Windows box at the same desk. Now I have two in one.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:34 pm

I installed Boot Camp on my Macbook Pro, the fonts while using XP, blew. I blame it on what ever gets loaded with the Bot Camp device drivers. I ain't playing games so I don't need frame rates that my eye can't detect. And that whole reboot thing killed it. Load up Parallels or VMWare desktop and enjoy what ever OS you want.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:30 am

The cool program for running Windows on a Mac was the one that let's you run Windows inside the Mac OS as a seperate window in and of itself at the same time without switching between operating systems.

I thought that was cool. I don't know why. It just seems weird. But it's just nifty programming.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:18 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:The cool program for running Windows on a Mac was the one that let's you run Windows inside the Mac OS as a seperate window in and of itself at the same time without switching between operating systems.

I thought that was cool. I don't know why. It just seems weird. But it's just nifty programming.

Yeah, that's what I meant by Parallels. It rocks. I click on an icon that says Windows XP and bam, I get a window in OS X that has XP running in it. You can even drag and drop files to and fro.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Unload the PowerMac now I'm gonna get me one of these. The big one. Have to check out that parallels.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:27 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:Well they are just computers. But the really nice thing about Macs is that they simply work.

If only.

I recently switched to Macs here at work. For the most part I really like it, but it far from "just works". I've used all kinds of computers over the years and I'm used to the quirks and weirdness that goes with all of 'em. But I gotta say my new Mac is way flakier then XP ever was.

Parallels works "okay" on my machine. I hear the new version is better but I haven't upgraded yet.

I'm sticking with the Mac now that they're finally as fast as Windows machines. But I never had problems like these on any Windows machine.

And last week I had a OS update add extra items to my menus (double restart, etc). Simple fix in the end, but I'm glad I've had years of figuring out quirks and didn't rely on the Mac just working.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:39 am

dave esmond wrote:
Wet_Pavement wrote:Well they are just computers. But the really nice thing about Macs is that they simply work.

If only.

I recently switched to Macs here at work. For the most part I really like it, but it far from "just works". I've used all kinds of computers over the years and I'm used to the quirks and weirdness that goes with all of 'em. But I gotta say my new Mac is way flakier then XP ever was.

I can't be the only longtime Mac user who cringes when he hears the "it just works" line... can I?

I mean, obviously I think there's a lot that's good about them - I've used Macs for more than 20 years - but sometimes they don't just work, and when they don't, it's probably more frustrating than figuring out why Windows is wigging out on you.

Sorry to say I've never seen what you're showing us here, Dave - maybe something wrong with the system font(s)?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:48 am

mrak wrote:Sorry to say I've never seen what you're showing us here, Dave - maybe something wrong with the system font(s)?

It would seem. We've tried a bunch of stuff to fix it, but no luck yet. Luckily just like on most computers I've used a simple reboot usually "fixes" it. It's usually just the display that goes wonky, but it did effect a large (read expensive) printout I had to do recently.

Still, I do like my Mac. Even with all it's quirks. The only thing I really miss is a rightclick rename in folders. I hate that click once, carefully, to highlight and rename thing.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:34 pm

dave esmond wrote: The only thing I really miss is a rightclick rename in folders. I hate that click once, carefully, to highlight and rename thing.

Single-click, then return.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games