MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Bio-Shock!

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Bio-Shock!

Postby jammybastard » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:44 pm

I love it!
Can't play it for more than an hour straight w/o needing a break which is either because of my advanced age or the fact that the game is great.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:22 pm

It's good, not great, so far. It hasn't hooked me as quickly as half life 2. So far I find the method of storytelling a little too expositional and not immersive enough. We'll see, though. I had the same issues with far cry at first.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby curiouslystrong » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:21 am

Played almost five hours last night.

TAsunder wrote:It's good, not great, so far. It hasn't hooked me as quickly as half life 2. So far I find the method of storytelling a little too expositional and not immersive enough. We'll see, though. I had the same issues with far cry at first.

Half-Life always claimed to have no cut-scenes. While technically true, theree were always times in the game where all the action and exploration stopped for a couple of people to talk to you about what to do next. Made exceptional because you retained control of Freeman the whole time.

BioShock keeps the pace much tighter. While there are the audio recordings fleshing out the details, you can continue on with the smashing of baddies while listening to gruesome tails of Objectivism-Gone-Wrong. There are cut-scenes but they are few and far between. While the recordings do violate the "show, don't tell" rule of cinema, a majority of the atmosphere comes from the city of Rapture itself.

And Far Cry had a terrible story set in some beautiful environments (dumbed down for the consoles).
Last edited by curiouslystrong on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:39 am

It's an insanely brilliant game on the visual and audio levels.
Gameplay is typical FPS, but we all know that going in.
I've been a bit under the weather, but I've gotten as far as Arcadia and the deeper I go the more I want to learn about what happened to Rapture.
BTW - who can slight a game that owes a debt to Ayn Rand?
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:42 am

It's easily the best game I've played in a long time.

Great gameplay, atmosphere, and I am happy with the mechanics of character advancement. Reminds me of Deus Ex.

I love how they've modernized the 50s technology - hacking by reconfiguring those tubes is a BLAST.

I had to restart it on Hard because it was too easy on Medium.

With DX10 on full and all options cranked, it is easily the best looking game ever made. Thank god they migrated to UE3!!

I like that it has it all; great gameplay, great story/background, and great graphics. It's a trifecta.

No gods and no kings, only man.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:33 pm

Watch out for that DRM infection that gets installed with the demo. Whoops!
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:51 pm

I have AVG and I haven't experienced any of the problems he's talking about.

HL2 calls home constantly too, and you have to be online to play offline games. Just as bad, but that didn't stop people from buying it. In fact, more and more games are going on Steam, which personally I don't like, but they do have a right to protect their game from theft.

When it comes time to reinstall for whatever time and they don't let me, I'll just go get the cracked version, so I don't really care all that much.

Frankly, if companies didn't have the stupid policies that they have (like limited number of installs), then DRM wouldn't have such a bad rap. Limited number of installs is draconic and pure idiocy on top of that. I fail to see why they should care if I install it on TEN machines, so long as I'm only using one at a time.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:54 am

Firing Squad on activation:

As we noted in this news post, BioShock features an activation system that requires an Internet connection in order for the game to be run for the first time. After the game has been installed on your hard drive, simply type in your CD key and click the activate button to activate your copy of the game. The game will then attempt to connect to SecuROM’s servers to authenticate your copy of the game. It’s important to note that this also applies to copies of the game distributed through online services such as Steam and Direct2Drive.

The problem is, this authentication system doesn’t seem to work 100% of the time: we personally witnessed the same generic error message during the activation process. It may take a few dozen tries to get the activation system to work properly, so don’t give up on the first few activation attempts.

In addition, one thing that neither the manual, nor the game’s readme will tell you is that currently you’re limited to only 2 activations per copy of the game. This means if you install it on your laptop and your desktop PC, you are out of activations. According to the publisher, if you want to install it on a third PC, you must first uninstall the game from one of your previous PCs before you can activate it for a third time.

In theory, once you’ve uninstalled the game you should get credit back allowing you to activate it again on the third PC, but this system doesn’t work 100% either. PC Gamer’s Dan Stapleton discusses his woes when he tried to activate his copy of BioShock for the third time here on the frontpage of pcgamer.com. Needless to say it’s a frustrating process that has a lot of legitimate owners of the game upset with 2K.

As it stands now, this system is worse than Starforce, Steam, or any other copy protection system we’ve seen. The SecuROM servers aren’t reliable at the moment, and the two activations limit imposed on BioShock literally leaves no room for error: what if your system has a fatal error and you aren’t able to uninstall it properly, or what if someone doesn’t know they’re limited to just two activations and wipes their hard drive without uninstalling the game first? After all, do you know many people who manually uninstall all their apps before they wipe their drive and re-install? Or what about someone who sells their old PC and buys a new one, but forgets to manually uninstall BioShock? What if your laptop is stolen? There are just so many different scenarios that can leave end users with no BioShock activations left and therefore at the mercy of 2K Games and SecuROM. It’s really a ridiculous system, and what makes things even more frustrating is they don’t mention any of this in the game’s documentation, nor do they provide a way to reach someone on the phone 24/7 to get potential activation problems resolved.

I disagree that it's worse than Steam. Steam forces you to be online to play an offline game. What if I wanted to play without an internet connection? Steam is better at re-installs though. They do it seamlessly b/c they can tell if anyone else is using your keys, because they force you to be online.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:37 am

They upped it to 5 installs.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:55 am

Ok, now I've gotten bored with the game.
Maybe, at 40, I've played too many FPS games and I get tired of running through corridors, encountering the same enemies over and over, having to accomplish a number of mini-missions to get to the next level, etc...
The good side is that this game is gorgeous, dark, and has a perverse sense of humor. The bad is that it's stuck with a tired format.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:42 am

jammybastard wrote:Ok, now I've gotten bored with the game.
Maybe, at 40, I've played too many FPS games and I get tired of running through corridors, encountering the same enemies over and over, having to accomplish a number of mini-missions to get to the next level, etc...
The good side is that this game is gorgeous, dark, and has a perverse sense of humor. The bad is that it's stuck with a tired format.

Tired format?

EQ was the first MMORPG I ever played. Since then, no MMO has had the wonder and excitement I enjoyed when I explored my first virtual persistent world.

Is MMO also a tired format? RTS? Flight-Sim?

The only real new "format" I can think of recently would be the Guitar Hero format, and look what has happened - they did it once, and they keep using pretty much the same thing.

If you like a style of gameplay, then the most they can do is to do it well, and add some spice. I like that they're combining FPS and RPG, like many others have done, and doing it well.

I think allowing you to craft your own plasmids/mods is about as innovative as they get with it, and I'm satisfied that they've done a good job pushing the envelope.

I happen to like FPS games, and I've even trudged through Painkiller which is essentially just an exercise in carpal tunnel with a metal soundtrack. Like this game, however, they did it right and kept me cranking through the levels till the end, and then left me hungry for more. So take some great FPS gameplay and add some great RPG gameplay and basically I'm hooked.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:27 pm

Yes, there hasn't been a revolutionary MMORPG and there needs to be. I'd call the format pretty tired at this point. Same for FPS. Half Life 2 was as close as it gets, and that was several years ago. No game has really held a candle to it since. Nor does this game, so far anyway.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:21 pm

I agree good games are few and far between, but you can't really put Half Life 2 in the same category as an RPG like BioShock.

STALKER is way more FPS heavy, but along the same lines as this.

This is so heavily an RPG, that honestly the FPS/realtime vs. 3rd person/round-based system is secondary to the roleplaying aspect - and by that I mean character advancement and moral decisions that have an impact on gameplay. This game is more in the mold of KOTOR than HL2.

That's why I like these so much. In HL2 the best you can hope for is a better gun. In this game you can combine the new abilities you get and the strength of the abilities with new weapons to come up with new ways to fight your way through. The gameplay changes as you go throught it if you do it right.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic was almost as good as this. Far too short though.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:13 am

I finished BS about a week ago and overall I did enjoy it. How can you not. I'd agree with others who have said they don't like the ending. I'm not a fan of boss battles or cut scene endings but if that's the worst thing about it then it's still pretty amazing.

Now onto MOH:A since I don't have an X360 and can't play the COD4 beta.
:cry:
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games