MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Unlocked iPhones

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Unlocked iPhones

Postby Wet_Pavement » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:31 am

Apparently, a company has found a way to unlock the iPhone and release it from its AT&T bondage. Yes, you can now apparently unlock the iPhone and free it from AT&T and use it with any provider. The information hasn't been fully revealed but somebody is apparently going to make some money off of it: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/24/ful ... d-iphones/
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:35 am

This is a better story. There's an eBay auction as well.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:28 am

Actually, there is at least one method of unlocking it via software alone, and another on the way.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:20 am

Apparently there's a store in Hong Kong selling unlocked iPhones openly.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:24 am

Apparently, AT&T is coming after companies that offer the technology to unlock iPhones: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/27/ata ... e-unlocks/
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:24 am

That's some serious douche like behavior on behalf of AT&T.

I would love to see the user agreement for the iPhone.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:38 am

juanton wrote:That's some serious douche like behavior on behalf of AT&T.

I would love to see the user agreement for the iPhone.

According to Wired, no, you wouldn't.

"I think there's no chance whatsoever that a layperson would understand it and I doubt they could get through it. I think most lawyers wouldn't understand it either," says Fred von Lohmann, a staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation who in a past career crafted licensing service agreements for a living.

However,

The AT&T agreement also prohibits aggrieved parties from unlocking the phone. Cell phone unlocking has huge financial implications for carriers, and is the subject of legal action after the federal government gave the action the OK last year.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:43 am

Also, from the Apple limited warranty:

This warranty does not apply: ... (e) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:50 am

Shit, I better reattach those mattress and box spring tags then.

It seems like they(ATT) have already lost. Theft of iPhones will go up, west siders will feel even more unsafe, extra cops will be assigned, Konkel and Levitan will argue about whether or not it was in the CDA's authority to do what they did about provider less iPhones.

How could they track what provider you are using?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:53 am

juanton wrote:How could they track what provider you are using?

The NSA?

I don't think it would be an anti-trust issue if the other GSM providers (currently only T-Mobile in the States) notified AT&T if an iPhone accessed their network.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:02 am

Not really. It's called doing business and contracting.

juanton wrote:I would love to see the user agreement for the iPhone.

AT&T has exclusive rights with Apple. People are capable of circumventing "legal" rights and seeking better services through the free market; which is exactly what the nerds are doing in this case. Good for them.

Laws, rules, regulations... They always hurt one party while enabling another.

Score one for the nerds. Where would near-eastside hipsters be without you?
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:22 am

pulsewidth modulation wrote:

AT&T has exclusive rights with Apple. People are capable of circumventing "legal" rights and seeking better services through the free market; which is exactly what the nerds are doing in this case. Good for them.

Yeah, I know they have their contract, but shit, this sure is as good of a time as any for AT&T to think about bettering their customer service.

All hail the nerds.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:06 pm

juanton wrote:

Yeah, I know they have their contract, but shit, this sure is as good of a time as any for AT&T to think about bettering their customer service.

All hail the nerds.

My impression was one can buy the phone without the contract. It's just that it wouldn't work. If so, this is entirely legal if you aren't under contract. The phone is yours to improve or mangle.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:41 pm

fennel wrote:My impression was one can buy the phone without the contract. It's just that it wouldn't work. If so, this is entirely legal if you aren't under contract. The phone is yours to improve or mangle.

In regards to individual purchasers; if one were to buy the phone without upfront "signed for" services, I'd say you are right. I doubt it is that simple.

I'm sure there is language in the contractual agreements between Apple and AT&T that stress protections for both parties' products and services. Another words, it is up to Apple to make sure people are required to use AT&T's monopoly, or AT&T might sue Apple. I think Apple would be on the hook if people just purchased a phone with cash in hopes of Nerds opening up new iphone communication markets at cheaper prices. These silicone valley types always do this; I'm sure some people foresaw events this.

Some kind of customer digital signature might have been attached to the purchase requiring AT&T's monopolistic services regardless of other existing means of information transfer; unless cash was used for purchase.

You see, credit cards have their limitations...
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:12 pm

fennel wrote:
juanton wrote:

All hail the nerds.

My impression was one can buy the phone without the contract. It's just that it wouldn't work. If so, this is entirely legal if you aren't under contract. The phone is yours to improve or mangle.

Of course you can buy an iPhone without the service, and all of its iPod functions will work perfectly. You just won't be able to call anyone or use the WAP/GPRS/etc.

This "unlocking" business really isn't that smart or useful. These unlocked phones will not be able to use a lot of the special functionality (such as how the voicemail works and a lot of the internet features) because those are server-dependent. You may be able to make basic calls, but so what? You've intentionally damaged (soldering is involved) a $600 phone so you can get shitty phone service with OMG THE PROVIDER OF YOUR CHOICE!
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games