MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The coolest plugin EVER for Firefox browser

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 am

jjoyce wrote: The smug anti-ad types think their world is a better place without all these images clouding their thinking, but in reality, advertising is what has allowed alternative publications like Isthmus and the Onion (along with scores more) to operate in a market dominated by traditional media.

Just as a Ford is not like a BMW, print media and online media are not equivalent. And telling your readers that they are smug when you keep telling us that the way you do business is not only the best way, but the only way... well... if you want to be considered progressive and alternative, that argument rings sorta hollow.

My world is a better place without ads popping up all over the place on my browser. Just because Isthmus isn't part of the problem (and I really do agree that your ads are generally unobtrusive) doesn't mean that no problem exists. Quit taking this as a personal attack on you - the Web is an awfully big place and not everyone has the best interests of surfers in mind. It's a lot easier on my end to just block all ads - I tried a program once where I had to manually block ads and guess what? It worked poorly and consumed a lot of my time (time I could have spent reading content.)

jjoyce wrote:It can't be replaced by selling t-shirts (which need, y'know, ad-style things to market them in the first place).

Or a simple, unobtrusive link tab that says "store."
Just sayin'.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:02 am

jjoyce wrote:The next step will quite likely involve creating ad serving techniques that get around these ad blockers

Which is a battle you're as likely to win as the anti-piracy software crowd. Any technology someone comes up with will pretty quickly be defeated by someone else out there.

I completely agree with you on trying to talk your advertisers out of obnoxious, intrusive interactive ads. That's a battle we keep losing with our genius PR agency who insist the high clickthrough from those ads more than makes up for the hatemails we get from people telling us they'll never buy our product, ever, because of the ads. Fucking idiots.

jjoyce wrote:in reality, advertising is what has allowed alternative publications like Isthmus and the Onion (along with scores more) to operate in a market dominated by traditional media.

Your content is what has allowed you to operate. Just because Core Weekly had ads doesn't mean it's a viable product.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:06 am

I would imagine most of these click throughs are people trying to find the little close image link and are mistakenly clicking on the ad link instead.

Does the Isthmus cold call potential advertisers and try to push web ads?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:25 pm

First off, those of you who are unfamiliar with Slashdot (an eminent geek forum) may enjoy the discussion of the same topic found there:
http://slashdot.org/articles/07/09/11/157256.shtml

I am also one who purposefully will not patronize obtrusive solicitors, and I tell that to all telemarketers before I hang up on them. I installed Adblock a couple weeks ago because I was tired of web pages hanging because the ad content was not loading properly. It works great.

That said, I do feel for sites like the DPF, because the their ads are also swallowed up by the blacklist, even though the ads here never hindered my web experience. I have been so assaulted by advertising throughout my life (as have we all) that I rarely notice it until it actively harasses me. My point is, while I am not going to tinker with my Adblock settings to allow DPF ads through, I probably would allow for a whitelist of "quality" advertisers to get through for the continued existence of sites like DPF.

I really think most folks wouldn't care a whit about web ads if they had never been more obtrusive than print ads. However, the taint of pop-up ads and flash banners just isn't going to go away, and web consumers are not to blame. Concerned web publishers should do everyone a favor, themselves included, and try to separate themselves from the unconcerned as fast as they can.

The good news is that there is time to fix it, before Google owns all. Internet Explorer usage is still at 63.9% of the market, and Firefox, while steadily growing, is only at 17.4%. Also, the Adblock extension does not come with the initial Firefox installation, so the user still has to seek it out, install it, and configure it. However easy that process is, many folks won't do it. So, despite the small furor over Adblock, it really amounts to a small loss of the total web market, and I am willing to bet most of those people tend to be as generally averse to solicitation as I do. Really, they ain't losing nothing. Where it will hurt sooner than later is in the specialized and localized markets/web sites, like DPF, so yeah, you might have some work ahead of you JJ, but I don't think you have to really worry yet.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

This now heads the Daily Kos site

Postby buckydoc » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:18 am

buckydoc

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:39 am

TiVo can be used to skip ads. VHS recorders ditto. DVD recorders ditto. Ad Blocker Plus ditto.

If you're against any one of these, logically you must be against all of them.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:11 am

Sorry to threadjack but greasemonkey is clearly the coolest firefox plug-in ever.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:42 am

Actually, spooFXplorer is the best plugin.
DMeister
Forum Addict

The Coolest Plugin for Firefox browser

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:25 pm

Adblock is the one of the best things to hit Firefox. When I'm trying to access info on a site the last thing I want to wait for is some silly dancing, flashing, blinking image or banner to download before I get my requested info. If advertisers were respectful of users they wouldn't force this junk on us. It is terribly frustrating to try and read online data with something popping and blinking on the side or across your screen. When I visit sites that have free ware I make donations when I can, even if it's just purchasing a coffee cup or t-shirt--which helps advertise their product. If sites get too intrusive I just stop going there.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Psshhht. The best Firefox extension was the Terri Schiavo status extension.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Coolest Plugin for Firefox browser

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Lily wrote: If advertisers were respectful of users they wouldn't force this junk on us.

Yes, and if foxes were respectful of chickens ...
if Enron were respectul of investors ...
if piranhas were respectful of wounded swimmers ...
if G.W. were respectful of human life ...

... And so it goes.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:18 pm

fennel wrote:
Lily wrote: If advertisers were respectful of users they wouldn't force this junk on us.

Yes, and if foxes were respectful of chickens ...
if Enron were respectul of investors ...
if piranhas were respectful of wounded swimmers ...
if G.W. were respectful of human life ...

... And so it goes.

--------------

Well said. My point being that some advertisers are clueless when it comes to their customer base.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:58 am

Lily wrote:My point being that some advertisers are clueless when it comes to their customer base.

Right... so why not block all of them, right? And if there are enough of you, then the ad revenue they bring to sites like ours will go along with it.

I'm sorry some of you object to my categorization of the anti-ad crowd as smug, but that's exactly what they are. Corporate media will not suffer as a result of this; they'll always rake in dough. It's the smaller, independent sites that will no longer be able to pay bills and that is absolutely true. The number of independent media companies remaining in this country tells the story of how hard it is to make a buck in the current market. But while one newspaper after another topples and the state of journalism becomes sorrier and sorrier, at least you'll be able to pat yourself on the back for absorbing a handful fewer logos in a week, right?

Why is it that the same people who bemoan the sorry state of journalism also gripe about having to put up with ads? Ads have always been part of the content of papers like Isthmus and, now, their accompanying websites. You can spin it how you want, but we serve ads from local businesses like the High Noon Saloon, the Harmony Bar, Madison Rep, Burnie's Rock Shop, Great Dane, which people want to learn about. If these ads bother you, then I have no idea why you're even here in the first place. If they don't, then don't use your ad blocking software.

It's simple economics... less impressions means less revenue which means less money to operate the site. If you don't think this is the effect, you haven't been paying attention to media trends over the past 10 years and you certainly haven't noticed how much advertising is now included in regular programming on television and radio.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:58 am

jjoyce wrote: If these ads bother you, then I have no idea why you're even here in the first place. If they don't, then don't use your ad blocking software.

Jason, what ARE you smoking? You seriously think that any users that come here are going to turn off Ad Blocker Plus, just because of this one site that we visit? You think this is the only web page we encounter in all of our daily browsing?

That has to be one of the dumbest whines I've heard on here. I have Ad Blocker Plus because of all of the horrible ads on sites like Yahoo. I subscribe to the standard North American list of blocked sites--if you want to have your ads visible, then it is up to YOU to come up with a different list, and talk people into subscribing to that list.

I agree with what others are saying, though--the percentage of ABP users has to be quite small. To even use it at work, I've had to change over to Firefox Portable, and run Firefox from my USB thumb drive.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 am

Galoot wrote:
jjoyce wrote: If these ads bother you, then I have no idea why you're even here in the first place. If they don't, then don't use your ad blocking software.

Jason, what ARE you smoking? You seriously think that any users that come here are going to turn off Ad Blocker Plus, just because of this one site that we visit? You think this is the only web page we encounter in all of our daily browsing?

That has to be one of the dumbest whines I've heard on here. I have Ad Blocker Plus because of all of the horrible ads on sites like Yahoo. I subscribe to the standard North American list of blocked sites--if you want to have your ads visible, then it is up to YOU to come up with a different list, and talk people into subscribing to that list.

Ditto on all of that.
Calling your users/readers "smug" for doing what they want to do is silly and not a winning strategy.
Why blame us?
The 'net was built around the "user" to begin with and will hopefully remain that way.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games