MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Does my IP address change everytime I log on?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Does my IP address change everytime I log on?

Postby Paco » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:39 am

I have dialup, if it matter. But with dsl or dialup, does my IP address change?

How would I find out what it is?

just curious?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:56 am

When you have dialup, your IP address can be different every time you connect. There are several sites that tell you what your current IP address is. Here's one:

http://whatismyip.com/

With broadband access, it can change frequently too. From the above site:

Dynamic IP Address: An IP address that is not static and could change at any time. This IP address is issued to you from a pool of IP addresses allocated by your ISP or DHCP Server. This is for a large number of customers that do not require the same IP Address all the time for a variety of reasons. Your computer will automatically get this number as it logs on to the network and saves you the trouble of having to know details regarding the specific network configurations. This number can be assigned to anyone using a dial-up connection, Wireless and High Speed Internet connections. If you need to run your own email server or web server, it would be best to have a static IP.

Some ISPs offer you the option of an IP address that stays constant, but it may cost extra.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:25 am

Then how do they block a person from logging on? I thought they blocked the ip address, but if it's changing, that doesn't work.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:28 am

Paco wrote:Then how do they block a person from logging on? I thought they blocked the ip address, but if it's changing, that doesn't work.

I assume this is a rhetorical question, as you don't seem to be the type that would do or say anything to get banned from a site. I could be wrong.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:38 am

Never been banned from anything, got fired from taco Bell once.

Curious, I work in IT and trying to understand it all. Someone asked me, and I hate not being able to answer.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:30 am

Disclaimer: There are people out there that know much, much more than I do about Internet Protocol and how it organizes this here series of tubes. So, if any of those folks are here and care to set the record straight, go for it. Meanwhile:

I get the impression that if a site is serious about blocking a user, they may have to ban a whole range of IP addresses for that reason. I've been on at least one blog whose comment page warned me I'd been banned from posting comments, though I'd never attempted to post a comment to that blog.

This leads me to believe that another DSL subscriber in the area must have done something to piss them off.

Paco wrote:...got fired from taco Bell once.

Well, there you go. Thanks to Total Information Awareness, that shit'll come back to haunt you forever!
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:14 pm

mrak wrote:
Paco wrote:...got fired from taco Bell once.

Well, there you go. Thanks to Total Information Awareness, that shit'll come back to haunt you forever!

Thanks. That creepy-ass logo is now staring into my soul.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:22 pm

This is my sixth try logging in, at my old house in Chicago, where I set up Bwis53. Maybe switching from ATT to Comcast screwed it up. Hmm,guess it liked IE better than AOL.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Does my IP address change everytime I log on?

Postby mcs_madison » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:08 am

Paco wrote:I have dialup, if it matter. But with dsl or dialup, does my IP address change?

How would I find out what it is?

just curious?

You get a new IP everytime you use dial up. They can block you by denying your login access.

As for DSL or Cable...All they do is block the MAC address of your modem. This is the unique hardware "address" for your modem. This is logged into your account when you get installed. This way you can take your modem with you when you move, it doesn't care where you use it, as long as the MAC address is "good" (account in good standing).

Typically, your modem will keep the same IP from the cable company, until you re-boot the modem.

If you have your own router in place, then things get tricky, with DCHP/NAT, etc...
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Return to Technology & Video Games