MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Halo 3

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Shipley » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Cold Storage is available for Free starting today. Legendary Map Pack dropped to 600 space bucks, no longer include Bungie Pro subscription.

Heroic still free.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Halo 3

Postby MadMind » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:08 am

I redeemed a month long gold subscription card a few days ago and have been playing online matches with Halo 3.
Even though I'd completed the campaign on legendary, online multiplayer is a whole different ball game. The first two days I was getting creamed. I don't hook up my headset because I don't think I can play without continuously cursing. It can be extremely frustrating!

I started off playing teams in social slayer and have since migrated to lone wolf.
I'm working on getting the online achievements, so far I've unlocked 4/12 (13 if you count one of the vidmaster lightswitch achievements which isn't worth any points) for the built-in maps and the two free map packs.

One thing that I think is ridiculous is the fact that players use 'jumping' as an evasive manuever or to gain control against an opponent. I mean as soon as you start shooting at some players they start hopping around like bunny rabbits. I hate that shit, it's just plain stupid and annoying.

Why don't people seem to ever pick maps from 'Heroic' and 'Cold Storage'??? I've been playing for a couple days now and there are maps I still haven't played. And why does "The Pit" seem to be such a favorite? I rarely do well on that map!

There also seems to be many game types which never get picked.
I do enjoy Oddball and King Of The Hill (the only two gameplay variants which I've played), but they do get vetoed often. I like them because you always know where to go and where the players are headed, and there's always a chance you can get lucky and respawn near a newly located target area in King, or make a good run/hide in Oddball.

No matter what time of day it is there's always people playing Halo 3 online. I read that the amount of accumulated kills on Halo 3 online has exceeded the population of earth!

Ack! On one hand I hate it, on the other hand I can't playing it.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:47 am

jumping while getting shot at is a pretty basic maneuver.

go for power weapons so you can finish them off in a few shots rather than having to track with the AR and reload.

As for matchmaking, those are computer controlled matches, no hosts selected maps and other variables.

if you want some matches with rule sets outside the norm, I'd check Team ActionSack
http://www.bungie.net/online/playlists.aspx

collecting all vidmaster achievements will unlock Recon armor when ODST launches. Theres also a Recon challenge on July 7, where bungie employees will be playing against teams in the 7on7 playlists. Beat them and you get the Recon unlock.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Shipley wrote:jumping while getting shot at is a pretty basic maneuver.

I realize that, I just think it's fucking stupid and annoying.
I also despise snipers [they are scum], and those who hide out in one spot watching and waiting. If someone isn't moving will they still show up on your radar???
I also hate those who use close range power weapons a lot [power swords, gravity hammer].
Lastly, is there a cheat code that would allow me to reach my hands through the TV and wrap my hands around the necks of every last shit that's ever fragged me? Because I'd use that code.

Shipley wrote:As for matchmaking, those are computer controlled matches, no hosts selected maps and other variables.

So, matchmaking won't ever select maps from 'heroic' or 'cold storage'? Wait that can't be true, I've played Foundry plenty of times off of matchmaking, but never Rat's Nest, Standoff, or Cold Storage. As for original maps, I've also never played Sandtrap, and I've only played Last Resort and Valhalla on teams. Are larger maps like Sandtrap and Last Resort only selected by matchmaking when you're playing teams?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:56 pm

large maps are TERRIBLE unless you're playing at least a 4v4 game. yes, you'll only find those in team objective playlists.

several matchmaking playlists include mythic and legendary maps. Cold Storage is included only on Legendary playlists, as part of the deal with microsoft to make the map free.
Rats Nest is in the Team Snipers and Squad Battle playlists, I'm sure its some of the social ones too.

they update for game types and maps once a month to keep the game fresh so they rotate often. Rats Nest will come back. its one of my favorite single bomb maps since you can drive all the way around or walk the bomb directly through the base.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:50 pm

The whole Skill/Exp and Rank leveling is a bit confusing. Since you only gain experience if you come in the top half (the top 3 in a match of 6 in lone wolves), what if you tie for third or tie for first? Do both tied players then acquire an equal amount of Exp?

Shipley wrote:Cold Storage is included only on Legendary playlists, as part of the deal with microsoft to make the map free.

So basically without the Legendary map pack you'd have to do a custom game to play Cold Storage?

Lastly, can continuous cursing get you banned? If so, I'll be sure to never plug in the headset during Halo 3 online.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:46 pm

you only hear members of your own team in ranked games. in lobby you hear everyone. no one will hear you in lone wolves.

get out of lone wolves anyway, play rumble pit. its unranked and a lot easier to find a decent game.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Shipley wrote:get out of lone wolves anyway, play rumble pit. its unranked and a lot easier to find a decent game.

I was trying to raise my rank for a while to unlock the rank based achievements, but now that I have them I'll give that a looksie.

Shipley wrote:several matchmaking playlists include mythic and legendary maps. Cold Storage is included only on Legendary playlists, as part of the deal with microsoft to make the map free.

I wonder if they did the same thing with the map 'Standoff'. You're supposed to be able to play Standoff in team slayer, though matchmaking has never selected it. Sandtrap and Rat's Nest are big team only, and it won't let me select big team unless I have all the DLC. Doesn't make sense that those maps are free yet it won't let me select the necessary playlist.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:35 am

Heh, Halo 2 you can't even enter matchmaking unless you own ALL maps.

I think the MLG play list requires only Heroic DLC. good luck against those guys, though the lower ranks are probably safe...

I might recommend holding out for Halo 3 ODST at this point since the second disc of that set includes all the Halo 3 maps on disc and you can boot to Halo 3 multiplayer directly from it.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Shipley wrote:get out of lone wolves anyway, play rumble pit. its unranked and a lot easier to find a decent game.

Yeah, rumble pit is another playlist where you need all DLC to play.

Nevermind about Rats Nest, Standoff and Sandtrap - I have now played them on Squad Battle. Still no Cold Storage though.
I want my MVP achievement, but it's hard when you're competing with 11 other players!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:28 am

Nevermind, lucked out on CTF on Rat's Nest and got the MVP achievement. Also lucked out and got the Vidmaster 7 on 7 achievement last night out of the blue, and wasn't even trying for it.
Still need Two for One, Overkill, Lee R Wilson Memorial, Steppin' Razor, Maybe Next Time Buddy, and the Vidmaster Annual achievements. Though I'm not even sure I care anymore!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:53 am

Good luck on Two For One, I've been trying to get it since day one.
I'm still trying to get We're In for some chop too. Once I have those I'll have all on-disc achievements.

I got maybe next time only a few months ago.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Shipley wrote:Good luck on Two For One, I've been trying to get it since day one.
I'm still trying to get We're In for some chop too. Once I have those I'll have all on-disc achievements.

I got maybe next time only a few months ago.

You can get 'We're In For Some Chop' in single-player campaign, that's how I did it.
It seems if you really need people to help you out with some of these online achievements. One one hand one could say it's cheating of sorts, but on the other hand some of the online achievements are so absurd and ridiculously difficult to get otherwise that it's all fair game.

I've just about had it with Halo 3 matches. It attracts some of the biggest assholes out there. And you think I'm offensive on the forum? These little shits take the cake!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:19 pm

Playing Halo 3 multiplayer online makes my blood boil. It's raising my blood pressure!

It makes me want to drive a Warthog over to each and every player's house, get behind the mounted gun and open up a spray of hot lead all over their residence [preferrably while they're playing Halo 3] until their home explodes, then as they come running out while their bodies are engulfed in flames I would throw a sticky bomb on them and watch their flaming bodies shoot up into the air landing in a bloody mess, then finally I would proceed to do one of those face-sit dances upon their worthless corpse.
I would continue to do this until every last player is deceased, and I can start up a Halo 3 online game with nobody in it but myself to aimlessly walk around each level with no one to interact with. Then, and only then will I have won the fight.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games