MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Best Blackberry service in Madison?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Best Blackberry service in Madison?

Postby erg57 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:37 am

Considering getting a personal (non-work use) Blackberry 8830. Any service provider recommendations? I curently use US Cellular for regular cellphone with zero complaints, but may not be living in Midwest during entire prospective, new two-year contract with a local plan. US Cellular does carry this blackberry, but am considering other national providers given that I may move out of Midwest. Any blackberry users have recommendations or complaints about providers whether they be national companies or regional? For example, I heard good reviews about Verizon but thay they disable the GPS on this model, which is bewildering to me and turn off from me using Verizon. Thx
erg57
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:20 pm

AFAIK, all the blackberry specific features(mainly push email, etc...) are pretty much the same across the board, as they are just rebranding RIM services. i'm not 100% sure on that though.

that aside, you need to decide what is important to you. data speeds? coverage area? network type?

us cellular probably has the best coverage in this area, but definitely not in others. verizon has the best data speeds. at&t has the most compatible phones for international usage(they run on GSM).

about a month ago, i spent a lot of time researching my next phone/provider, so a lot of this stuff is still pretty fresh in my head. if you can be more specific about what you want, i can probably get more specific in my answers.

for the record, i ended up getting a motorola q on the sprint network because i got a nice discount on my plan. i know someone who works for sprint and got hooked up with the employee referral rate. i decided that i didn't want to pay an extra ~$30 or so each month for the BB services. just wasn't worth it for me.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby erg57 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:40 am

Thx Paulie. Ive done my hoemwork on the Bberry thoroughly but was wondering more so about the carriers' service..relibaility, etc.. I confirmed that verizon does disable Bberry GPS because they have their own system to upsell, which is actually not a deterrent to me in the end. I would love to stay with US Cellular but coud be moving far enuff away, hence my need to go with national carrier (WITH NO ROAMING!). I am most concerned in this order: Phone, Data and e-mail. the rest is just fidgety stuff to do when bored. Verizon gives nice discount too cuz of where I work --both Hardware and voice/data plans. I believe Im sold on Verizon at this time. Next issue wil be how much phone price drops the day after I buy it
erg57
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:54 pm

My coworkers who have it are happy with Verizon. I would imagine you will be too. They are all Windows Mobile users though. I know that Verizon phones can roam on US Cellular networks, but I don't know if you have to pay to do so. You'd probably know better than I in this department.

Good Luck!
paulie
Forum Addict

GSM is not always as promised

Postby the_economist » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:39 am

paulie wrote:us cellular probably has the best coverage in this area, but definitely not in others. verizon has the best data speeds. at&t has the most compatible phones for international usage(they run on GSM).

AT&T has GSM service in Madison, but it is provided on 850 MHz, not the 900/1800/1900 MHz that many European phones are set up to use. AT&T frequencies vary by region, so world phones (GSM-compatible phones sold elsewhere) can work in other parts of the U. S., just not here in Madison.
the_economist

Return to Technology & Video Games