MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Modem Outage?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Modem Outage?

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:10 am

I've had the same modem and DSL arrangement for my mac, since 9/03. Last night, I was trying to relax and just shop. Had a little itunes on, looked at clothes...all of a sudden the music stopped and I got a disconnect message. I called ATT and we went throught two levels of tech support. They finally told me I might need a new modem. My evening was ruined. So, I set about tidying up, and decided to once again check all physical connections, and dusted off the top of the modem (got a layer of grey dust) Bingo, I'm back up!
What's up with that little box?!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:02 am

Maybe it overheated and removing the dust allowed it to have better ventilation.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:07 am

I used to have to reset my DSL modem from time to time. Never figured out why. Lately I've had to reset my wireless router from time to time. Can't figure that one out either. Best I can determine is, traffic overloads cause it to get silly-like.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:49 am

TAsunder wrote:I used to have to reset my DSL modem from time to time. Never figured out why. Lately I've had to reset my wireless router from time to time. Can't figure that one out either. Best I can determine is, traffic overloads cause it to get silly-like.

Yep...Me too...Some nights I've had to reset the Router 2 or 3 times... I blame Charter, probally adding or maintaining bandwidth and they reset the IPs a few times a week.
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 am

Our old router would work fine for a while and then would go through the period of outages, where it would literally hiccup three or four times in an hour. I'd have our computer search for it and reset it and then it would be fine but I never quite understood what was making it screw up so much.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:53 am

I've used SBC/AT&T DSL for 4 years. I've experienced more connection problems in the last two weeks than in the whole previous 4 years. I've been required to reset my modem and/or my router several times each morning, occasionally later in the day too.

Past experience and general cynicism have prevented me from calling AT&T support thus far. I have a hard time believing this is a modem issue. Seems my cynicism is warranted.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:03 pm

I had a trifecta: Burned out special kitchen bulb, toilet that wouldn't stop running, and modem outage, within 24 hours. Hope I'm good now...

In year two, I had a total outage (phone & internet) due to "wet wires" outside on the building. Year three, in had an internet outage, right after the fall student move-in. They fixed "the problem" in the basement. I'm not real surprised, at this outage, considering the time period. Maybe I need to vacumm the top of the modem occassionally. I don't think any of the connections, were loose in the first place, but a wipe with a tissue of 409, did the trick. My new TV went black once, when I rolled it around, on it's cart, until I put a rubber mat, under the TV. No problems now. I just didn't feel like running out and buying another modem, at this time. I might be moving, so I'll revisit that later.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:07 am

I've had modem/router issues in the past too. A reset usually clears it up. Depending on what was wrong, a computer reboot is also necessary. Often you can release/renew your IP on the computer and/or router without requiring a reboot, but for your typical person, the reboot is usually the best bet.

If you're resetting/rebooting/unplugging items, do the modem first, then when it appears to be back up and running, do the router, and then finally any devices connected to it. Of course, resetting the router will often require you to reconfigure it. Most routers allow you to save your settings to a config file for easy restore.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:24 am

i keep thinking this thread is entitled "Modern Outrage" which sounds like a good political punk rock band that sounds a little too much like Green Day.
square
Forum Addict

Return to Technology & Video Games