MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Application Safari quit unexpectedly (?)

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Application Safari quit unexpectedly (?)

Postby cute hat » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:51 am

I have a Mac OSX, and recently Safari has been shutting done frequently when I click on links, especially when doing a search on google. I get a message "The application Safari quit unexpectedly" and an invitation to send a report to Apple.

What gives? I'm not very tech savvy. Make that, I'm not at all tech savvy.
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:52 am

I solved that problem by downloading Firefox and using that as my internet browser.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:17 am

white_rabbit wrote:I solved that problem by downloading Firefox and using that as my internet browser.

2 thumbs up.

Also, same with the Thunderbird mail app.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:20 am

That happens to me a lot too with safari- usually happens if an update is needed. There are some websites, particularly those with a lot of graphics or videos (like the NBC 15 site), that cause it to happen more frequently. I would just check to see if there is a Safari update available or use Firefox instead.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:56 am

I admire Safari for its simplicity, but its performance is anything but admirable.

I second (fourth, whatever) the above Forons:
Firefox.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Interesting. I've seen that but only rarely. It's usually buggy javascript. You could experiment by turning that off and trying the link again. You can also enable javascript only for selected sites that you deem safe via PithHelmet.

Firefox is pretty solid but not well integrated with OS X. It takes some hacking for something as simple as disabling tabs. There's an add-on called NoScript that allows you to control javascript exposure.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Disabling tabs in Firefox is like plugging up 2 cylinders in your V6 engine to make it a 4 banger. what performance do you gain?

Firefox may not share that brushed metal window with the rest of OSX, but its as integrated as I've ever needed. It displays websites, it downloads files, it even has plug-ins for bit-torrent and FTP.

I've got few complaints about Safari, and never had it crash that I can recall. But I switched to firefox for one reason: functionality. it does everything.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:18 pm

Shipley wrote:Disabling tabs in Firefox is like plugging up 2 cylinders in your V6 engine to make it a 4 banger. what performance do you gain?

No, it's more like opting for a V-6 with twice the horsepower of a V-8, and half the fuel consumption. But it depends on the OS and one's experience. Tabs probaby did fill a GUI need for Windows users, since the distinction between application windows and application spaces was always muddled. But in the Mac world, tabs are more like an inept hack to offer functionality that's been done well in the OS for years. Tabs are tidy, but just as much, they are useless in that they confuse spatial orientation and don't permit multi-site scanning. Think of a physical desktop on which you could read only one sheet of paper at a time — by design! Ridiculous.

See The Social Life of Paper, by Malcom Gladwell for related insight.
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2002/0 ... crbo_books

But even some Mac users like tabs, and more power to them. With Safari, they can choose to use them. With FireFox, amazing and slightly clunky as it is (I use it extensively), you have to hack the application to disable tabs. That reflects poorly on the developers. They know what they like, and the rest of the world be damned. (Not unlike the administration of a certain superpower we know.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:03 am

[quote]Tabs are tidy, but just as much, they are useless in that they confuse spatial orientation and don't permit multi-site scanning. Think of a physical desktop on which you could read only one sheet of paper at a time â€â€
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:43 am

[quote="fennel"]Think of a physical desktop on which you could read only one sheet of paper at a time â€â€
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dirty Dusty Rhoads » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:39 pm

I have had the same problem with Safari.

Although, at times when I restart my computer (Mac) I have to reinstall Firefox. I have never really taken the time to figure out what the issue is.

Anyone have the same problem?
Dirty Dusty Rhoads
Forum Addict

Return to Technology & Video Games