MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Software Companies

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby TAsunder » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:17 pm

I don't think you understood his usage of the word special, zoben. :twisted:
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby uwstudent » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:44 pm

Last time I checked there was a 2-3 year waiting list to get into the Animation program.So you can wait till then MadMind.
uwstudent
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:41 pm
Location: cowtown, wi

Postby MadMind » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:44 pm

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby uwstudent » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:22 pm

uwstudent
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:41 pm
Location: cowtown, wi

Postby MadMind » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Something that's turned me off of the whole video game making process? Behind the scenes or "making of" extras in games.
Watched all of the God of War II making of clips and sheesh, too much actual work! It didn't seem like much fun, especially with the dickhead game director runnin' around crackin' the whip.
The long nights required would only be worth it if you yourself contributed in the overall creative vision of the game.
And with the large teams appointed to games these days I find it rather annoying that everyone has to keep in constant contact with one another to move the process along.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby Dark Meat » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:58 pm

MadMind wrote:And with the large teams appointed to games these days I find it rather annoying that everyone has to keep in constant contact with one another to move the process along.

Might I suggest you just stick to playing them then? The number of lines of code to produce these games isn't getting any smaller. Even as a game tester, you'd pretty much be expected to keep in contact with a slew of developers until the title is launched ... and then you'd get to do the same thing to identify bug fixes for the first software patch.

Ironically, it's not all fun and games.
Dark Meat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:09 pm

Postby uwstudent » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:57 pm

Games are too big to be made by one person. Maybe if you were programming Tetris for your cell phone it would take one person but otherwise can't be done. It's called teamwork.
Maybe you should try some other line of work?
uwstudent
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:41 pm
Location: cowtown, wi

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:38 am

I would suggest you keep away from Project Management in general. It's all about communication, decision making, and more communication.

Not just games, but any software is likely to have many many months of meetings and preparation before the first line of code is ever written, and those meetings will last long after the first release is complete.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:08 pm

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:06 pm

MadMind wrote:Something that's turned me off of the whole video game making process? Behind the scenes or "making of" extras in games.
Watched all of the God of War II making of clips and sheesh, too much actual work! It didn't seem like much fun, especially with the dickhead game director runnin' around crackin' the whip.
The long nights required would only be worth it if you yourself contributed in the overall creative vision of the game.
And with the large teams appointed to games these days I find it rather annoying that everyone has to keep in constant contact with one another to move the process along.


So you've realized that this job requires actual work and now you don't want to do it? We're you tricked by the ads on TV that showed two dudes in polos playing a PS1 game and talking about tightening the graphics on level 5?

You could always try and get a job at 3D Realms, I get the impression they never work, if the 10 year dev time on Duke Nukem Forever is any indication.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am
Location: college park, md

Postby MadMind » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:24 pm

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Re: Madison Software Companies

Postby MadMind » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:42 pm

Better late than never?

I finally picked up and played through Prey (360) on both difficulties about a month or two ago.
I really enjoyed it! If I had a part in the creation of the game I'd certainly be proud of the accomplishment.
Sure, the game owes something to Doom3, but it also brought some new things to the table - like gravity walkways, and portals (before Valve's Portal).
It was a very good Sci Fi/Horror alien-abduction game. Creepy at times, but not soo creepy that I hesitated to play through it twice.

I appreciated the local band poster's in the bar and the Dane County School District bus. Were there any more local nods within the game that I missed? I noticed you guys gave thanks to the Come Back Inn in the instruction booklet. Did you hold late-night 'brainstorming' sessions there?
Was the bar in the game modeled after any bar in Madison? I didn't recognize it.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Re: Madison Software Companies

Postby zoben » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:47 pm

MadMind wrote:Better late than never?

I finally picked up and played through Prey (360) on both difficulties about a month or two ago.
I really enjoyed it! If I had a part in the creation of the game I'd certainly be proud of the accomplishment.
Sure, the game owes something to Doom3, but it also brought some new things to the table - like gravity walkways, and portals (before Valve's Portal).
It was a very good Sci Fi/Horror alien-abduction game. Creepy at times, but not soo creepy that I hesitated to play through it twice.

I appreciated the local band poster's in the bar and the Dane County School District bus. Were there any more local nods within the game that I missed? I noticed you guys gave thanks to the Come Back Inn in the instruction booklet. Did you hold late-night 'brainstorming' sessions there?
Was the bar in the game modeled after any bar in Madison? I didn't recognize it.

Lateness? Well, I never....

Glad you enjoyed it. Some of the artists went to the CBI to take pictures for reference and for texture development. The ceiling tiles in the hallway of the roadhouse were pretty much copied from theirs. I heard that initially the bar design was based on the old Buck's bar, I really wouldn't know because I had never been there.

I don't think there are many other local references aside from the band flyers, the beer company signs were either based on HH employee names or I just made 'em up....I've been starting to brew beer so someday I might make "Hammered Ale." :)
zoben
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:04 pm
Location: Bonerland

Re: Madison Software Companies

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Prey 2 in 2012!
From Gamespot;
Bethesda Softworks teams with Human Head on sequel to gravity-defying, astral-projecting first-person shooter in 2012.
Duke Nukem Forever may be the undisputed champion as far as absurd release timelines go, but 3D Realms certainly had a competitor in another of its properties, Prey. Fist concocted by 3D Realms in the mid-'90s, the game was eventually given over to Human Head Studios, who along with 2K Games took it to the finish line in 2006. For its follow-up, Human Head has cut that development cycle in half.

Spirits and the spirits were themes throughout Prey.

Today, Bethesda Softworks announced Prey 2 will arrive for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC in 2012. The Prey IP was acquired by Bethesda Softworks parent ZeniMax Media in mid-2009, and the publisher subsequently filed US trademark applications to use the property in a variety of mediums, ranging from video games to TV shows to comic books.

Bethesda did not indicate what gamers can expect from Prey 2, saying only that the game would be developed by Human Head and make use of an unspecified id Software engine--presumably the id Tech 5 engine powering the studio's own title, Rage. The publisher noted that first details for the game will arrive in the May issues of the Official Xbox Magazine and PlayStation: The Official Magazine.

Prey tells the story of Cherokee garage mechanic Tommy Hawk, who fights to defend Earth from an alien invasion with the aid of his Native American astral projection powers. Much of the action takes place on-board a gigantic alien vessel, with features such as gravity-defying walkways and interdimensional portals.
MadMind75
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Re: Madison Software Companies

Postby uwstudent » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Nice to see a new IP coming out of the Madison folks. Now that Raven has been essentially gutted..
uwstudent
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:41 pm
Location: cowtown, wi

Re: Madison Software Companies

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:48 pm

uwstudent wrote:Nice to see a new IP coming out of the Madison folks. Now that Raven has been essentially gutted..

Not a new IP, just a resurrected one. Granted I haven't played a lot of Raven's games, but Human Head's Prey remains my favorite game to have come out of Madison/Wisconsin based studios.
As for Raven, I was going to say that they have a lot of work cut out for them to try and follow-up the best selling game of 2010, Call Of Duty: Black Ops, with Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Seems as if they may only develop the multiplayer, though, as Sledgehammer Games is to assist Infinity Ward in the development of the singleplayer.
MadMind75
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar