MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Why do the call it the Xbox 360

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Why do the call it the Xbox 360

Postby anon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:43 pm

Q: Why do they call it the Xbox 360

A: Because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and walk away
anon

Postby massimo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:48 pm

This shall serve as your induction into the "First Post Hall of Shame."
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:49 am

Ah, I figured it out... you are looking at the 360 in a mirror. Otherwise it's physically difficult to be looking at something then walk in the direction you are facing while walking away from the thing at which you are looking.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:17 pm

Think about it, anon. Keep on rockin.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:55 am

Not that you actually wanted to know, but...

The New Name
In generating a name for the system, the team threw out Xbox 2. "We've shifting the power of the gaming systems from technology to hardware to the gamer being the center of the industry, and Xbox 2 just sounds like it fits into that old scheme. We threw it out."

After numerous attempts, the team favorite became Xbox 360 because, among other reasons, it puts gamers at the center of the circle. So they decided to try it out, give it a sort of Rorschach test. Microsoft went to the public -- gamers and non-gamers, the second gamer in the household, the NASCAR dad and the soccer mom, as Allard says -- and asked them what they thought of when they heard the name "360."

One survey taker said, "Um, the first time I kissed my girlfriend on a Ferris wheel." Another responder said, "I love music. The word 360 makes me think of vinyl. Another said, "The first time I landed a kickflip on my skateboard." Another said, "When I exchanged rings with my husband in our vows, and I understood the significance of the ring, you know, a lifetime commitment." The answers, the team learned, were wildly different because of the unconventional name. But they all connected with a theme -- they were all emotional, personal experiences that evoked joy. "So, the reason we went in was different than the reason we came out."

IGN Pre-E3 2005 Xbox 360 article
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:07 am

I haven't felt this strongly about a system since Dreamcast. xbox 360 is my favorite console on the market. Those who hate it are kidding themselves, its like hating the PS2 even though it has a mountain of must-play games.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:57 pm

There are many theories as to why Microsoft decided to call it the 360 instead of just XBox 2.

Experts generally agree that when one sees the Xbox 360, one will turn 360 degrees and walk away

Some would have you think that it is because they thought XBox 2 would sound inferior to Playstation 3, Sony's upcoming game console. Of course, this is Microsoft we're talking about, so we're not going to give them that much credit and instead we'll say that this was their attempt at ripping off the name of Nintendo's upcoming system, the Wii (then codenamed the Revolution, by calling it 360, the number of degrees in a full rotation (or revolution). How craptacular of you, Bill Gates. A related theory is that the '360' is meant to imply that the device is a 'revolution' in console gaming

A growing theory is that it took Bill Gates 359 prototypes to get it right.

Another theory is that its called 360 because they wanted to turn the original xbox's shitiness around 360 degrees... meaning they knew the flaws of the xbox but did nothing to fix them in any way. The did give them an over 33% chance(1/3) of you getting the red ring and dead xbox, but some argue that this theory is advocated to satisfy furries and retards.
anon

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:53 pm

man you are about 2 years late for bitching about the 360. Halo 3, Call of Duty, Portal, Geometry Wars, Pac-Man Championship, Bioshock, Rainbow Six... crap thats just the games I played this year.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 am

I don't get why this idiot keeps repeating the 360 degree joke when it makes no sense.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:08 am

Because he's a fucking retard. Book Police gave him a fucking diagram and he still repeated it.

I'm going to take a 180 degree turn and get the hell out of this thread.
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Shipley wrote:I haven't felt this strongly about a system since Dreamcast. xbox 360 is my favorite console on the market. Those who hate it are kidding themselves, its like hating the PS2 even though it has a mountain of must-play games.

wErD
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby anon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:30 am

mcs_madison wrote:
Shipley wrote:I haven't felt this strongly about a system since Dreamcast. xbox 360 is my favorite console on the market. Those who hate it are kidding themselves, its like hating the PS2 even though it has a mountain of must-play games.

wErD

What does MCS stand for? The store on Willy St?
anon

Postby mcs_madison » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:46 am

anon wrote:What does MCS stand for? The store on Willy St?

Just my initials...So, I can remember my name and where I live, when people find me aimlessly wandering the InterWeb, like a drunken sailor...
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Re: Why do the call it the Xbox 360

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:26 am

anon wrote:Q: Why do they call it the Xbox 360

A: Because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and walk away

Finally a foron that's my intellectual equal. Welcome aboard. Now please tell your mom to buy ME an Xbox 360.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:32 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Image

Think about it, anon. Keep on rockin.

Think about it, "TheBookPolice". Keep on rockin'.
anon

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games