MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, March 6, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 2.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Gaming in 2008

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Um. Zelda, Resident Evil, Excite Truck... Mario is the best yet but there are plenty of winners on the list. As well as plenty of kids games and chick games.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Zelda and Resident Evil 4 are both Gamecube games with Wii control tacked on. Excite Truck I didn't find all that good, kind of like Burnout without the crashing.

I'm sure the good original game are coming, but year one was LITTERED with ps2 and GC ports and I didn't find much all that intuitive.

The root problem may be that as an adult man, I don't go for kid games and chick games. I can certainly appreciate their merit and have fun playing them, but when it comes down to what stays on my shelf and what gets sold to the highest bidder, I lean towards game with more robust online multiplayer and a stiffer curve for challenge.

One of the reason Mario Galaxy is such a hit. It can be a bite sized game with 10 minutes per objective, fun and easy for kids to play and beat, but to get all 241 stars from playing the game twice: thats a challenge worth my time!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:30 pm

I agree... so far Wii games have been kind of disappointing in terms of offering a "wii experience". I even find super mario galaxy kind of disappointing in the wii integration. It is less tacked on than zelda and other games, but it still feels like there is a lot of untapped potential. Of course, I'm not very far in...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Maybe I'd be jaded and bored too, if I could actually find a Wii to buy in the first place. As it is, the few experiences I've had with it have been really fun, and for $50 less than a 360 and how much cheaper than a PS3, I'd take the Wii any day. I don't have enough free time in my life to while it away playing really involved shooterquest games.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:40 pm

You'll save a ton of money buying a wii over a 360, but spare yourself some truly amazing genre defining and genre busting games.

And I'll take xbox live arcade over the overpriced and repacked virtual console offerings.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:33 pm

but spare yourself some truly amazing genre defining and genre busting games.

Like the one where you run around and shoot Zombies, or the one where you shoot Nazi's or the one where you shoot aliens. Or the one where you ARE the Alien and you shoot more Nazi's, or the one where you are the Nazis and you shoot the Brittish. He's right though the Zombies/Nazis/Aliens all look a lot nicer on the Xbox and PS3
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:28 pm

thats a somewhat fair assessment. When I first joined Xbox Live in 2004, I remarked that the only games available were variations on either kicking a ball and shooting someone in a hallway.

But to say games like Portal, Gears of War, and Bioshock are just shooters gives disservice to the gameplay variety and excellent writing that accompanies all. and bite sized fare like Bomberman Live, Pac-Man Championship Edition, might make it to Wii, but without the live infrastructure, who's to say it would be worth your money?

And I'll put Rock Band as a party game up against anything on Wii.

Don't get me wrong, I stand by my investment in the system, I just don't see anyone other than nintendo themselves developing anything worth buying, which is the same sad story from GameCube and N64.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:14 pm

Certainly not everyone sees video games as the new media like myself, but it is the vast potential for visceral action and immersive storytelling that draws me to the long-winded RPGs.

The ability to do it your own way by controlling stats and inventory, combined with personal control over the development and the direction of the story, and then pitting your skill in combat against the enemy you just found out and then tracked down is what makes the the games worth it for me.

I feel about as much compassion for the casual gamers as they do for me, because we both approach the industry with very different perspectives. There is certainly a place for those kinds of games, but when I plunk down my $50 I do it because it usually gets me far more hours of entertainment than a movie, where you just sit and watch.

It might be a different bucket, but to think that companies are blowing hard earned cash on a 2-d version of a great game to appease the casual crowd of PSP and DS owners sorta pisses me off once in a while.

Maybe Alan Wake wouldn't be coming out in 2009 if companies didn't piss away all kinds of cash developing a console version of UNO, or bastardizing Halo into an RTS.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:25 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Maybe I'd be jaded and bored too, if I could actually find a Wii to buy in the first place.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 pm

TAsunder wrote:Sign up for wii alerts. I know a few people who had good luck with that.

I've been tipped to something that might prove fruitful. But if that doesn't work, I'll give your suggestion a fling.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Game Developer's Conference this week.

Microsoft just announced Gears of War 2 in NOVEMBER.
Fix online matches and give me more online co-op, and they'll earn my $60 yet again. the first Gears was a blast.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:33 pm

First 3 months down. Only games I paid full price for were Burnout Paradise and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

I've renewed interest in Halo 3 with the last map pack going free, a new map pack coming next week, and double XP weekends to boost my military rank. And I'm only 60 points away from clearing the achievements!

This month brings 2 of the biggest releases of the spring: Grand Theft Auto IV and Mario Kart Wii. I'm kinda curious what will be the big sales winner. GTA is still a juggernaut of a franchise and on Xbox 360 and PS3 its reaching a huge audience of next gen players. MKW on the other hand, well its the 7th game in a series that hasn't really had a bad one yet, and its on a system thats has massive popularity and an audience starved for meaty multiplayer games.
I don't get too interest in the business of games, but no matter what next gen system people have, there is a truly must play game coming out this month.

I'm moving next week and in an effort to play more games and spend less I'm going back to GameFly. I left last February when they still only had the California distribution center and ALL xbox 360 games had "long wait" and thats all I was playing at the time.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Saw a lot of stuff about Force Unleashed the other night on GTTV on Spike. Aside from making the Wii version look almost like it needs to be purchased in addition to the 360/PS3 ones, they announced that Chad Vader would be doing the voice of Darth Vader in the game. I looked into it and apparently he'd already provided the voice of Vader in Empire At War. How strange. This is like Weird Al fronting one of the bands he's lampooned.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:44 am

Force Unleashed does indeed look to be a winner. LucasArts has laid the occasional turd (see the overmanagement that led Galaxies into the shitter), but all indications are that this one will be excellent. Perhaps Raven is not the only company that can develop a decent light-saber game?

The big question in my mind is this: will the Newton be ready by September?
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:54 am

I gotta disagree about mario kart. Double Dash was mediocre. From what I've read, MKW suffers from extreme item stupidity and rubber band effect. In local multiplayer you can set the item rules to be less aggressive, thereby bringing the game back to a game of skill, but the single player can't be set, nor can online multiplayer. The blue shell is similar to double dash, in that it floats in the air and then blows up, and can't really be dodged.

The basic issue is that you can almost never retain the lead with the aggressive itemization in the game, and thus it becomes a game of luck and less of skill. That's from early reports from the internet leak, though. Perhaps the game is deeper than it seems and you can achieve success staying in second and using an item wisely. Still, that doesn't really make it a true racer then, if items control the game.

I'll still get it, but I'm skeptical. The best mario karts are the ones where there is a minimum amount of luck and rubber banding necessary to keep the game fun for novices, but not so much that an expert player wouldn't dominate.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games